Welcome to Shroomology
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mushroom Sub-Strain Isolation

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationThats ME inside your head
Every species of mushroom has various sub-strains that differ from each other, in various ways. Some of the differences you will notice are physical, I.E., size, look, density, and another is fruiting potential. The purpose of this thread is to show how to identify these sub-strains, and isolate them, for whatever reason the cultivator has, in this example it is to attempt obtain a high yielding sub-strain, and have less competition in a bulk substrate which will allow for higher yield in its self.It is best to do this with a clone of a mushroom, because you have a good idea of the genetics that you are after, with a clone. If you attempt this from Multi-spore, you will have no idea as to what you might get. Just luck of the draw really.This thread is focused primarily on Psilocybe Cubensis, as it has certain characteristics of growth, that not ever species of mushroom has. However, reading this will greatly enhance your knowledge of the subject, and with a little observation you can apply anything you learn here to any species of mushroom.Psilocybe Cubensis has a couple of forms of growth. At the base of any mycelial growth that is capable of producing mushrooms, is dikaryotic mycelium. From dikaryotic mycelium comes tomentose mycelium, and rhizomorphic mycelium. Since both are dikaryotic mycelium, both are capable of producing fruits, however rhizomorphic growth is more promising to find high yielding sub-strains.iso1 example.JPG Example A (multi-spore inoculation)rhizo myc.JPG Rhizomorphic growth (clone)You will notice, on agar, that there are lines, and impressions in the mycelium. These barren (most of the time) lines are known as sectors (seen in example A). Sectors occur when two different dikaryotic mycelia encounter each other. So on either side of the sector are two different sub-strains. They cannot mate at this point, and basically stop growing when encountering another sub-strain. This makes it easy for the Cultivator to isolate the sub-strains that are present in the dish.In this tek, we are isolating the first linear rhizomorphic growth (as seen in the green circle in example A), to its own culture dish. The mycelium will be grown out in that dish, then transferred to grain spawn, and spawned to bulk substrate.iso2.JPG iso3.JPG Visual Results:KSSS iso fruits.JPG ksss iso fruits 2.JPG More on:Dikaryotic Mycelium- www.iscid.org/encyclopedia/Dikaryotic_Cell
  • FunkyPBuff 1961 and Tiggz like this

10361976_10152563631538010_7916787537045

Similar Topics: Mushroom Sub-Strain Isolation     x

Sponsor Advertisment

Sponsor Advertisment
  • Advert

High quality mushroom spore syringes, from a vendor you can trust. FREE shipping on all orders over $40.00!

Posted Image

Str0be

Str0be

Fungi King

• Members
  • 380 posts
When you isolate a substrain like this, and you end up with a dish with nothing but linear rhizomorphic mycelium, is it generally always a fruitable strain? Or can you end up isolating a strain that doesn't even produce?

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,969 posts

When you isolate a substrain like this, and you end up with a dish with nothing but linear rhizomorphic mycelium, is it generally always a fruitable strain? Or can you end up isolating a strain that doesn't even produce?

Yes you can wind up isolating a substrain that does not have good fruiting potential, even if its rhizomorphic.Thats why its best to start the isolation process with a clone of a mushroom from a large cluster, if a high yielding sub-strain is what you are after.

BEYOND2

BEYOND2

PROFESSOR PINHEAD

• Moderators
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationUNDERGROUND
thanks MZ ive been waitn for thread like this :boxxy:

AL2O3

AL2O3

Shroomology Elite

• Council Member
  • 1,480 posts
thanks for the post MZ. Great information

SquidHead

SquidHead

Shroomology Elite

• Moderators
  • 1,063 posts
  • LocationEarth

Yes you can wind up isolating a substrain that does not have good fruiting potential, even if its rhizomorphic.Thats why its best to start the isolation process with a clone of a mushroom from a large cluster, if a high yielding sub-strain is what you are after.

A method I have been using and seems to do me justice is to induce fruiting on the plate itself. You will then see right away which sectors are good possible candidates before transfering just by the pin sets. Its a quick and effective way to get a preview of what you are possibly growing. :boxxy:MZ is right use big clusters014.JPG And you can get big flushes23.jpg 1stflushhawaiian.jpg

trees

I am just a flake, falling from the sky, Oh I want to be a snowman!

Cake tek for your wood lovers: http://www.shroomolo...252-wood-cakes/
MYA agar recipe: http://www.shroomolo...ya-agar-recpie/
Mushroom news: http://www.shroomolo...-mushroom-news/

Dozzer

Dozzer

An Elite Member of the Rubber Room Society

• Council Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationMy Own Little Corner Of Hell
Thank you MZ for posting this, it will help everyone new and old, and very easy to follow and understandPeace From The East**D**
Spoiler
1Hour Video^^About Mycology

Dozzer's Half Assed bag Tek ~ Dozzer's WBS Flour with +'s

Water Distillation Principles
Unit Converter
Temp Converter
Mycology Supplies
Resizing pics the easy way
H2O2 For Mushies

I am rapidly becoming a Mycologist Through Trial and Error, and of course I will always share my success as well as failures in full truth for everyone to learn from !!!

Str0be

Str0be

Fungi King

• Members
  • 380 posts

A method I have been using and seems to do me justice is to induce fruiting on the plate itself. You will then see right away which sectors are good possible candidates before transfering just by the pin sets. Its a quick and effective way to get a preview of what you are possibly growing. :)MZ is right use big clusters014.JPG And you can get big flushes23.jpg 1stflushhawaiian.jpg

By inducing fruiting, you mean just putting your agar dishes in the same environment as you would to fruit? Basically just a room with a temp around 68 - 72?
  • Nuk and Tiggz like this

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,969 posts
If you are using the agar jars definately. I have done that many times, not purposefully, just being a slacker. They will pin if you just leave them out somewhere like you described.

Even PE! :)

PEdish pinning.JPG TAPE.JPG
  • Tiggz likes this

SquidHead

SquidHead

Shroomology Elite

• Moderators
  • 1,063 posts
  • LocationEarth
Yeah if you wait long enough they will automatically. Yes you can get them to pin by dropping temps slightly and giving them some light. They remain sealed though, until I am in front of a hood and doing transfers. My theory is if they can fruit abundantly on agar then they will do even better on a nutrient rich substrate.

trees

I am just a flake, falling from the sky, Oh I want to be a snowman!

Cake tek for your wood lovers: http://www.shroomolo...252-wood-cakes/
MYA agar recipe: http://www.shroomolo...ya-agar-recpie/
Mushroom news: http://www.shroomolo...-mushroom-news/

BEYOND2

BEYOND2

PROFESSOR PINHEAD

• Moderators
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationUNDERGROUND
damn that shits crazy!!!!!

Neowulf

Neowulf

Master of Sickology

• Chat/Editorial Mod
  • 865 posts
  • LocationBawl`more Maryland
awesome i hope to start doing this with results from first grow
  • Nuk likes this

Taven9

Taven9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • LocationEarth
Good info and well presented.
  • Nuk likes this
I had to many vices so I gave up everything except lying.

MrDouchebag

MrDouchebag

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationThe Empyrean
This couldn't have been more clear and easy to understand MZ. Thanks you!
  • Nuk likes this

KICKASS

KICKASS

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Locationstuck in the painting
Posted ImageMush Zombie, on 19 February 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:
Yes you can wind up isolating a substrain that does not have good fruiting potential, even if its rhizomorphic.

Thats why its best to start the isolation process with a clone of a mushroom from a large cluster, if a high yielding sub-strain is what you are after.

So easy to understand. I repect the scientific guys alot! But have a hard time digesting what they are saying at a novice level, and for a quick turnaround.
And I respect you for cutting out and translating this into "laymens" terms.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! :)
  • Nuk likes this

http://photobucket.com

K.I.S.S.

( Keep It Simple Stupid )

KA Inoculation Loops-Homemade

Taven9

Taven9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • LocationEarth
So the 2 lc's I just started from a single heavy rhizo is just that, a heavy rhizo myc. At this point it may be a poor producer with bad characteristics. Pretty much a 50/50 chance till I see the fruit from it. That makes sense on why a sample from a fruit with good characteristics would be preferred.
  • Nuk likes this
I had to many vices so I gave up everything except lying.

Mr.Greenthumb

Mr.Greenthumb

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
awesome tek MZ im all ready doing my research so I can do this myself!!

SlimJim

SlimJim

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

If you are using the agar jars definately. I have done that many times, not purposefully, just being a slacker. They will pin if you just leave them out somewhere like you described.

Even PE! :)

PEdish pinning.JPG TAPE.JPG

Really great pictures and post!

BrutalityIsLaw

BrutalityIsLaw

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIt's hot in hell
Looks like it's time to get some agar going!

Deleted Member

Deleted Member

Shroomology Guru

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
I got a mean rhizo growth of pe in an agar dish. my ape agar had little blue dicks that popped up in a cluster. got 4 lc's ready to make some reishi lc and ala lc. great write up MZ