Welcome to Shroomology
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RYE GRASS SEED PREP (RGS)

* * * * * 2 votes grain spawn Rye seed Rye berry Substrate Preparation

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

AL2O3

AL2O3

Shroomology Elite

• Council Member
  • 1,480 posts
Hello, I would like to share with you how I have prepared RYE seed for many years and it works for me.

It is a SOAK and SIMMER tek. but I feel it takes no more time then the No soak no simmer tek and with rye IMO NSNS is a very bad idea... to get the right moisture content you must hydrate rye before you load in jars and PC.

Rye is not cheap, I get mine for $1.70 a LB. or $45 for 50 lb. but it has its benefits over other grains.

The reason I like rye as a sub:

you can just pour the 100% colonized rye in a pan( with no other sub) let grow a few days, then case it and let it run the casing and then fruit, it think this makes it simple, and you can also use it as a spawn in bulk.

Rye seems to easily let large varieties of molds and fungi grow on it, better then other grains.(it is packed with nutrition)

Things you will need

Large pot

Rye seed (I use 3 lb. at a time, it fills 7 Qt jars.)
Posted Image
Cooking spoon

Colander

Lets go.
Rinse rye to get out some of the twigs and dust. Fill it will water to cover the rye by a couple of inches and sit on stove and SOAK for 12-24 hours.
Posted Image
Next day you put stove on High and bring to a boil, once boiling reduce to a simmer
Posted ImagePosted Image

Depending on how much rye you have you will simmer for 20 to 30 min, stirring every couple of minutes til the first rye seed burst. I believe the seed burst is a indicator of Full saturation of the Rye seed.(only a few seeds should burst , but you just saw the first). I also eat the seed as it cooks, I can tell the point at which it is full saturation. Hard to explain the texture... till you try it this way and taste as you go to get a feel, its hard to describe.

Burst seed
Posted Image

From Left to right
DRY RYE, 12-24 soak, half way thru simmer, Rye seed Burst
Posted Image

Once Simmered, pour in colander Rinse off with cold water to stop cooking.. let the rye sit and drain for a 1 1/2 hours I mix it up every 30 min to move trapped water to the outside to drain. when you touch the rye seed, it should not leave water on your hand.
Posted Image

Load the rye into your Jars and PC for 90 min at 15 PSI
Shake the Jars after you take them out of the PC, This will mix the rye that is dryer on top and wetter on rye bottom to even out moisture content (only have to shake once after PC).

Inoculate with you favorite Specimen.

Similar Topics: RYE GRASS SEED PREP (RGS)     x

Sponsor Advertisment

Sponsor Advertisment
  • Advert

High quality mushroom spore syringes, from a vendor you can trust. FREE shipping on all orders over $40.00!

Posted Image

Dozzer

Dozzer

An Elite Member of the Rubber Room Society

• Council Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationMy Own Little Corner Of Hell
Man, Thanx for sharing...this is greatly apreciated...now I got to get some RYEPeace From The East**D**
Spoiler
1Hour Video^^About Mycology

Dozzer's Half Assed bag Tek ~ Dozzer's WBS Flour with +'s

Water Distillation Principles
Unit Converter
Temp Converter
Mycology Supplies
Resizing pics the easy way
H2O2 For Mushies

I am rapidly becoming a Mycologist Through Trial and Error, and of course I will always share my success as well as failures in full truth for everyone to learn from !!!

BEYOND2

BEYOND2

PROFESSOR PINHEAD

• Moderators
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationUNDERGROUND
good job thanks for sharing :)

Str0be

Str0be

Fungi King

• Members
  • 380 posts
Great Tek dude. Now that I see the pics. Will try this out when I have the time.

Fast

Fast

Professional Hater

• Moderators
  • 1,305 posts
I have always perferred rye above anything else I have used, nice tek.
Posted Image

Flawedprophecy

Flawedprophecy

Smooth POO

• Flawed Administrator
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationNever never land.
Nice write up man.

fsm.png :fluffy:

This is what I've learned, in my life: Headbanging is crucial. Growing up is hard to do. There's nothing wrong with wearing a dress. - Hayley Williams

I just don't like ketchup. fuck off. - hale

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,954 posts
  • LocationThats ME inside your head
This is very excellent. The same way I do mine, but I dont do the simmer thing.NSNS is a terrible idea for any grain spawn imo

10361976_10152563631538010_7916787537045

Deleted Member

Deleted Member

Shroomology Guru

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
Nice tek write up Bro :lol: ! I have access to a bulk grain place just 7 miles from my house! I may give rye a try! I have used wheat berries before, but I mainly stick with milo and millet...maybe I'll use rye in a tub grow this season!Peace.NS
  • Deleted Member likes this

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,954 posts

Nice tek write up Bro :lol: ! I have access to a bulk grain place just 7 miles from my house! I may give rye a try! I have used wheat berries before, but I mainly stick with milo and millet...maybe I'll use rye in a tub grow this season!Peace.NS

I have personally found RGS to be inferior to WBS, and of course rye grain, or wheat berries for Cubensis. It will still work, but there is just not much substance for the robust mycelium of cubes to infest... As a result, when you spawn to bulk sub, it will require more time (if it even happens) for the desired result of a healthy, fluffy, solid white substrate for beast mode fruiting.

BEYOND2

BEYOND2

PROFESSOR PINHEAD

• Moderators
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationUNDERGROUND
so RGS is better to use for cubensis?

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,954 posts

so RGS is better to use for cubensis?

no the opposite, IME.Mexicana will do the same on RGS or WBS, but it will out perform both on Rye Grain, or Wheat berries (for sclerotia production if thats what one is into).ATL7 just doesnt care it will colonize a brick if theres some holes in it probably.

AL2O3

AL2O3

Shroomology Elite

• Council Member
  • 1,480 posts
Maybe, The title of the tek and Becasue I called the Large Rye Berry seed ( RYE seed) suggesting that I use seed form a Garden store Intended for lawns. I get my seed/berry for a health food store intended for human consumption. When I looked up "Rye berry" and Rye Seed" I got the same information on both, suggesting that there is not much difference other then size of seed in strain.I agree with MZ that WBS is better to spawn with(I notice this too) because of the amount of seeds that are in a jar with WBS as compared to a rye jar with less seed. WBS will give you a good myc run in the sub for that reason.As far as just casing the grain, I have done both WBS and RYE in sid by side, The RGS out preforms the WBS in this aspect,(the cubes in my sig are just rye cased) It seems that WBS lacks the punch in nutrition to fruit well when just cased.Should I call the tek to RYE berries to clear up confusion?

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,954 posts
Rye grain, is things like winter wheat, and are berries. What you have looks like the lawn seed for annual or perrenial rye grass. Is that what it is? or is it red wheat, winter wheat, or anything like that?

WyLee

WyLee

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCorktown
Thank you for this Al :) I was reading a lot about RGS and how it is an easy and popular choice amongst cultivators (or at least used to be).. But I might have gotten a little confused through the comments here. Is what I'm gathering correct?... Spawning to bulk sub with WBS is superior to spawning to bulk sub with RGS... BUT if you are just casing, RGS is superior to WBS? So WBS is better for bulk pretty much. And RGS better for casing. And RGS is always better when sclerotia production is desired. Confirming this and/or adding to is appreciated :P Al, did you spawn to bulk or did you just case, or monotub or something else? Peace.

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,954 posts
RGS is not as good as wbs that is mostly milo, or rye grains. This should not be confused with rye berries

WyLee

WyLee

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCorktown

RGS is not as good as wbs that is mostly milo, or rye grains. This should not be confused with rye berries

So rye grain is a totally different outcome than rye grain seed? I get confused bc a lot of sites only say rye in their teks. Is wild bird seed still better than rye grains, or do they have similar results? I haven't even touched on rye berries... don't know what they're best used for yet.. Thanks for ur clarifications MZ!

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,954 posts
rye berries are what people refer to as rye. I have not used it because it is expensive and hard to find in my area. I think that rye berries are generally winter wheat or something like that. Squidhead would know ;) Rye grass seed is not the same thing, but it can be used as spawn if you need to use it. You will read about mexicana, and similar sclerotia producing species eventually, and people will say "oh RGS is the best spawn for sclerotia." I disagree, wbs was much bettter for me ( I have all that RGS because I wanted to grow mexicana, and read all those dumb posts on other websites about RGS)

WyLee

WyLee

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCorktown

rye berries are what people refer to as rye. I have not used it because it is expensive and hard to find in my area. I think that rye berries are generally winter wheat or something like that. Squidhead would know ;) Rye grass seed is not the same thing, but it can be used as spawn if you need to use it. You will read about mexicana, and similar sclerotia producing species eventually, and people will say "oh RGS is the best spawn for sclerotia." I disagree, wbs was much bettter for me ( I have all that RGS because I wanted to grow mexicana, and read all those dumb posts on other websites about RGS)

Thanks MZ. I will stick to WBS for now and experiment with rye when I'm more well experienced :)

Alacabensi

Alacabensi

Advanced Member

• VIP
  • 439 posts
  • Locationwhere you get the best beer in the world
I'm always using Rye - not RGS - because I can't get WBS here and Rye is the cheapest I get. I have the suspiction that Rye is better for just casing than substrate. But I can't really say that because I'm actually in the testing process of this. Had some Issues in cause of fresh poo with my subs so I won't really say that.

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

(Al Capone)

WyLee

WyLee

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • LocationCorktown
Al, have you ever used rye in an oven bag tek? I want to try this but all the teks I find use mycobags. I have oven bags that I made and would like to try rye in them. Do you have any guidance for me? Thanks!