Welcome to Shroomology
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How To Grow Shrooms In Bulk - Monotubs

monotub bulk substrate Bulk Technique

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationThats ME inside your head

How to grow shrooms in bulk monotub tek, and how to build a monotub.

NO MISTING AND NO FANNING ALLOWED!

Because this will be a somewhat long winded post, I will post things in sections.

If you need spores or cultures visit
gallery_1_10_58356.gif

Monotub Design:

These designs are for the STERILITE 60 QT.

There are several designs for monotubs. If you get a tote that is larger or smaller, than the sterilite 60qt, and you plan on using my sub prep method, you will have to increase/decrease everything in this tek accordingly, and may need to add weather stripping to the lip of the tub so that there are not any gaps, creating too much FAE.

These monotubs will have about, a 4 1/2" deep substrate if you follow my substrate prep contained herein.

Cased Sub Monotub Design:
This design is very simple, but the hole placement is key here for optimal evaporation from the casing layer, and surface of the sub, while maintaining proper RH. The hole placements will be large 1" x 1" holes up top, and small 1/4" holes in the bottom of the tub. "Bottom" meaning 5" above the bottom of the tub.

There are many ways to cut the large holes in the top of the tub. You can use a spade bit, a dremel cutting bit in a regular drill, a hot knife, or a soldering iron. Be creative and know that all the ways i mentioned except for the knife are efficient.

The small holes I use a 1/4" drill bit and a drill to drill the holes around the bottom.

Make the bottom holes about 1" to 1 1/2" apart from each other.

monotub design A1.JPG

mono tub design A2 short side.JPG

Monotub Sub Prep:

You can use whatever substrate you like in your monotub, but this is how I do it and it is VERY simplified.

Things you will need:

5 gallon bucket
large tote (for mixing sub in not the monotub)
1/2 brick of Coco Coir
Pot to boil water in
6 qts COARSE grade vermiculite
4 qts cmc/HPOO (Cow manure compost/ Horse Poo)
Hydrated/Pickling lime
8 cups of water.
Large oven bag
16qt(or larger) Pressure cooker
Coco Coir can be found in Petsmart or any pet store that sells reptiles. It is used for reptile/arachnid bedding.

Bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
Cut brick of coir in half
Put coir in a 5 gallon bucket
Pour boiling water over coir
cover with the bucket lid or a towel for 15 min
stir coir up so that it is all broken up, evenly distributed, and fluffy
Allow coir to sit for 1 hour, covered, to hydrate fully.

While the coir is cooling, move to the next part of sub prep

Pour 4qts of cmc/Hpoo into a large tote for mixing.
Add 2 TSP of lime (to buffer PH of poo and coir. it is required for multiple flushes).
Mix as well as humanly possible.
Add 6 Qts of COARSE grade verm. (YES it must be coarse grade)
sub in tote.JPG
mix well again.

After the one hour cool time for the coir, dump the entire contents of the 5gallon bucket into the large tote.
coir in tote.JPG

Mix well
monotub tek, sub mixed.JPG

This mix should come out to perfect field capacity (moisture content is key here). Field capacity is when you can grab a handful, squeeze it and a little water can bead up at the knuckles but should not be dripping. When you losen your grip the substrate should remain in the collapsed form.

This is close to field capacity, a bit too wet IMO, but will work ok. If your sub is any wetter than this, you will nee to add verm to it until it is field capacity. One little drip due to gravity is ok though.
field capacity.JPG

If your sub meets these requirements, load it into an oven bag, squeeze the air out (you can compact the sub in the oven bag) and seal the bag with the seal tie that came with the bag.

poke two small holes in the top of the oven bag
cover holes with micropore tape
tape down any excess of the bag to the main body of the bag. This is to prevent the excess from clogging the rocker pipe of the pressure cooker.

Pressure cook the substrate for 90min @ 15PSI

Let cool in PC overnight.

SPAWNING TO THE MONOTUB

Things you will need:
6 qts spawn
Black Trashbag (preferably contractor or yard)
Micropore tape
Aluminum Foil
Polyfill pillow stuffing
Isopropyl Rubbbing Alcohol

Line the tub with the black trash bag. I just put the whole thing in there.
monotub tek lining trashbag.JPG

Dump the whole oven bag of PCed substrate into the trashbag lined tub, making sure not to get any behind the trash bag (you can tape the bag up to the walls of the tub if you need to).

Dump all your spawn on top of the sub.
Monotub tek spawning.JPG

Mix very well making sure to get along the edges, and especially in the corners of the tub.
Make sure to make the sub as flat as possible without packing down the sub. it is okay to pack it just a little bit to make the surface flat, but not very much at all is ok. Use very little force. (being flat will ensure a good probability of an even pinset)

Once that is done line the sub with foil, poke a few holes in the foil, and cover them with micropore tape.
monotub tek foil.JPG

Cover the bottom holes with micropore tape, and stuff tight balls of polyfill into the top holes, so that they dont come out easily.

Put the lid of the tub on and incubate @ 80-82* F for 10 days. It does not matter if there is light or not.

FRUITING

After the 10 days colonization period, you can bring the tub out to fruiting conditions.

To do this remove the foil

cut the trashbag down below the bottom holes (this works best with a utility knife, or exacto knife)

Apply a casing layer of your choice (I prefer 50/50+ or just regular 50/50) that is between 1/4" - 1/2" deep.

Make sure that the casing is porus not a flattened mat, and not over field capacity.

Mist the walls of the tub.

Put the lid on.

Set in an area where there is natural ambient lighting (NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT)

Temperatures between 68-72*F are optimal for this tek.

In the fruting area there should be a slow moving fan to circulate air, makinf for a good slow even FAE rate inside of the monotub.

Depending on your strain of choice it can take between 5-14 days for pinset.

No Misting, No fanning.

alatub1.JPG alatub2.JPG tub0cock.JPG tub firstflush.JPG tub first flush2.JPG harvest 60qt1.JPG

1507509_236101369926887_5319847979336470

Similar Topics: How To Grow Shrooms In Bulk - Monotubs     x

Sponsor Advertisment

Sponsor Advertisment
  • Advert

High quality mushroom spore syringes, from a vendor you can trust. FREE shipping on all orders over $40.00!

Posted Image

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

badass i will be doin this on my next grow im thnkn ALACABENZI

all of the images are alacabenzi, except for the PE. ;)

BEYOND2

BEYOND2

PROFESSOR PINHEAD

• Moderators
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationUNDERGROUND
wat size is the monotub ?

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

wat size is the monotub ?

In the text of the tek, it is stated that the tote is a sterilite 60qt. I am very familiar with the methods Mycopathic posted here, and I can tell you that the Sterilite 60qt has a good sealing lid, and is perfect all around for this type of tek. The other tubs like the 56 qt, and the 58 qt have to have weather stripping applied to the lip of the tub, because they have crappy lids.After the weather stripping is applied though they work just fine, but you will have to decrease sub amount so that your sub doesnt go above the bottom holes... that would be disasterous, as you would have to manually fan the tub.

BEYOND2

BEYOND2

PROFESSOR PINHEAD

• Moderators
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationUNDERGROUND
o ok ill go with the 60qt sterilite sounds easier

Dozzer

Dozzer

An Elite Member of the Rubber Room Society

• Council Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationMy Own Little Corner Of Hell
Well put together, the details are so in depth, and I learned something new

Peace

**D**

Spoiler
1Hour Video^^About Mycology

Dozzer's Half Assed bag Tek ~ Dozzer's WBS Flour with +'s

Water Distillation Principles
Unit Converter
Temp Converter
Mycology Supplies
Resizing pics the easy way
H2O2 For Mushies

I am rapidly becoming a Mycologist Through Trial and Error, and of course I will always share my success as well as failures in full truth for everyone to learn from !!!

Deleted Member

Deleted Member

Shroomology Elite

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
great tek.. :D Yeah the 56qt lids suck, I am going through that issue right now having to use weather stripping, I have 3 56qt tubs, I am gonna use 60qt once they are wore out..:)

Fast

Fast

Professional Hater

• Moderators
  • 1,259 posts
I have been using 116 quart containers they are long and low profile. Having 4 of these they are just to damn big, I will probably be switching to these in the near future. In the mean time I will be using them a few more times before then.**update** Walmart.com has them on clearence 6 of them for $30 so i ordered site to store to get the free shipping.
Posted Image

Str0be

Str0be

Fungi King

• Members
  • 376 posts
I have been using this method before this tek was on here, and it is a very good tek. I pulled almost 8oz on first flush being a noob. Now that I have a bit more experience, we will see what can be done :)

Motown

Motown

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMycodelica
So, where's the one for the Uncased tubs? or did I miss something?

Str0be

Str0be

Fungi King

• Members
  • 376 posts

Don't quote me on this, but for uncased, I would think you would lower the wrap-around 1/4" holes at the bottom by about 1/2" - 3/4". Basically just taking away the extra space that you left for the casing layer.

But I wouldn't recommend not casing with this kind of tek. The way this tek works is with the lower temperatures / humidity and evaporation from the casing layer.

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,116 posts
You have to use totally different hole set up for uncased subs.I know how Mycopathic grows, bc we use nearly identical techniques. Uncased subs do not perform as well as cased subs, and I doubt he actually uses them, so thats probably why myco hasnt posted it or fixed it, bc he wouldnt use that tek anyway.

Neowulf

Neowulf

Master of Sickology

• Chat/Editorial Mod
  • 863 posts
  • LocationBawl`more Maryland

There are several designs for monotubs. I will post two designs, one designed for cased subs, and one designed for uncased subs.

Did ya forget to put the uncased one up?

Mush Zombie

Mush Zombie

AKA Hefe

• Members
  • 13,116 posts

You have to use totally different hole set up for uncased subs.

I know how Mycopathic grows, bc we use nearly identical techniques. Uncased subs do not perform as well as cased subs, and I doubt he actually uses them, so thats probably why myco hasnt posted it or fixed it, bc he wouldnt use that tek anyway.

Did ya forget to put the uncased one up?

I answered this question for myco who is very busy. No one should use an uncased monotub that wants results like the ones that are pictured. I have also removed the reference to uncased monotubs, as they are really dangerous to attempt, and the design was never posted.

Neowulf

Neowulf

Master of Sickology

• Chat/Editorial Mod
  • 863 posts
  • LocationBawl`more Maryland
alright was just wondering.

Seekknowledge

Seekknowledge

Shroomology Elite

• Moderators
  • 1,263 posts
This is very easy to follow for someone like myself who has not done monotubs and is tired of misting and fanning. Everytime I thane a free minute I have to spend it missing and fanning lol. I will be following this tec in my grow log once my lc is ready. Thanx man

SlimJim

SlimJim

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 102 posts
There isn't a better method of growing than tubs in terms of amount of time/work input to yield output. Awesome write up!

It almost made me mist the days of misting and fanning! :P

moon_walker

moon_walker

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationGiant ball of cheese in the sky
i am excited for this tek, i will be tryin it out on my next grow log. Every grow ive seen in a mono has been so fuckin awesome! mycopathic you are the man for putin this tek up and mush zombie your also the man cuz you shared this on ST where i first seen it. cant wait you guys are the shit! :dj:
Life is too fuckin short-Dont waist it with worry, live love die with no regret, enjoy what you got, smile once a day!

Dozzer

Dozzer

An Elite Member of the Rubber Room Society

• Council Member
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationMy Own Little Corner Of Hell

i am excited for this tek, i will be tryin it out on my next grow log. Every grow ive seen in a mono has been so fuckin awesome! mycopathic you are the man for putin this tek up and mush zombie your also the man cuz you shared this on ST where i first seen it. cant wait you guys are the shit! :dj:

Easy as taking your first breath, follow TEK to a 'T', even small tubs do well, Ive yielded just over 1/4lb with this exact method and specs, but Im sure you seen it at ST Peace **D**
Spoiler
1Hour Video^^About Mycology

Dozzer's Half Assed bag Tek ~ Dozzer's WBS Flour with +'s

Water Distillation Principles
Unit Converter
Temp Converter
Mycology Supplies
Resizing pics the easy way
H2O2 For Mushies

I am rapidly becoming a Mycologist Through Trial and Error, and of course I will always share my success as well as failures in full truth for everyone to learn from !!!

moon_walker

moon_walker

Shroomology Member

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationGiant ball of cheese in the sky

Easy as taking your first breath, follow TEK to a 'T', even small tubs do well, Ive yielded just over 1/4lb with this exact method and specs, but Im sure you seen it at ST

Peace
**D**

Sure have, there is a couple o you guys that i followed and shit. a couple o you guys always had hella good flushes and i don kno how exactly. ive never had a my sub colonize as fast as said should, and ive tried it on the dryer side and more moiste side. my lil dubtubs took about 15 or 16 days to colonize so im just afraid when i put everything in the plastic bag i wont be able to see it to gauge the colonization completion. :yeayea:
Life is too fuckin short-Dont waist it with worry, live love die with no regret, enjoy what you got, smile once a day!