Welcome to Shroomology

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mush Zombie

Wheat Berry Grain Spawn Tek *no Fail Version*

37 posts in this topic

o hell ya thanks mz this will work fine and its also my first time working with rye berries i hope it pays off like wbs has

after you dump in the strainer and rinse theres no need to let it sit and dry a little like the oldskool wbs tek? thats why the verms at the bottom right?

o hell ya thanks mz this will work fine and its also my first time working with rye berries i hope it pays off like wbs has

after you dump in the strainer and rinse theres no need to let it sit and dry a little like the oldskool wbs tek? thats why the verms at the bottom right?

Correct, plus when you shake the verm will absorb any extra moisture  

1 person likes this

do not let the grain spawn sit in the strainer for any longer than it takes to put the verm in your jars.

1 person likes this

I'm looking around online for a good wheat berry source and noticed something that me curious. All of the products I find say that they are either white/red and soft/hard. I know you said it doesn't matter if they're white or red but what about hard or soft?

1 person likes this

never heard of soft being used. i use hard

1 person likes this

Cool, I found 25lbs of Red Wheat berries for $30 on amazon. Also found 5lbs of BRF for $16 from the same vendor, Great River Organic Milling. Seems like a good deal.

you can get 21 lbs of white wheat on walmart.com for like 20 bucks right now.

you can also buy 5lbs of brown rice at walmart for 5 bucks and grind it with a coffee grinder :P

Do u have a link for those wheat berries? All i find are the 28oz bags.

Thank mz, I just copy and pasted lol

If you let the grain sit 30 minutes you could skip the verm. Grains dry fast for me way faster than wbs. Could be the state's dryness too.

If you let the grain sit 30 minutes you could skip the verm. Grains dry fast for me way faster than wbs. Could be the state's dryness too.

I've tried this. doesnt come out right, which is why i made the tek ;) the wheat has to be laid out and dried properly (about an hour) if you dont want to use the verm otherwise its too wet and sticky and causes tam in the sub. Before I started doing this I was having a bad problem with tam and wheat berries after spawning.

I used to sell this in grain spawn bags. proper prep is crucial with this type of spawn. its just as finicky as NSNS teks. clumpy, sticky, and nasty

1 person likes this

I've tried this. doesnt come out right, which is why i made the tek ;) the wheat has to be laid out and dried properly (about an hour) if you dont want to use the verm otherwise its too wet and sticky and causes tam in the sub. Before I started doing this I was having a bad problem with tam and wheat berries after spawning.

I used to sell this in grain spawn bags. proper prep is crucial with this type of spawn. its just as finicky as NSNS teks. clumpy, sticky, and nasty

So your saying down the line it can cause problems. I can see that 

yea. the wheat is very starchy. mold loves that starch. Once all this is gone I am going back to wbs. 

1 person likes this

I hear ya. I only whipped up 3 quarts of it just for shits and gigs. I dont use it often either, I pay 9 bucks for 20 lbs of wbs from a walmart 2 miles from my house.  

1 person likes this

so with these no fail teks i understand that the layer of verm helps with moisture content but after you shake and disperse the verm it wont dry the grain out? 

so with these no fail teks i understand that the layer of verm helps with moisture content but after you shake and disperse the verm it wont dry the grain out? 

no because the verm absorbed the excess moisture, so its already moist. this is why you do not want to dry your spawn out at all. it should be sopping wet when you put it in the jar.

1 person likes this

Is there a difference between these berries and hard winter wheat berries? Cause I used to use hwwb for years and let me say that they work great!

I think they're the same just a different type

its all wheat. rye is wheat too. just different species, so i am sure there is some differences

1 person likes this

You are correct sir...the only differences really i guess are when it comes to hydrating before cooking.

Edited by pcsillypj
1 person likes this