• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Austiclees

Coarse Vs. Medium Grade Vermiculite: Big Difference!

El Gato Diablo    179
El Gato Diablo

Interested in the results of your mix.

Mine wasn't labeled but it is similar to the course that you showed.

Understanding the overall volume of the jar stays the same, if the medium holds more water it stands to reason an orifice (haha) filled with medium verm will contain more water and less air, therefore less CO2 than using course.

See where I'm going?

TRP

Austiclees    444
Austiclees

This is true, but I'm really not sure where you're going with it.  Yes, it stands to reason that the medium has more surface space to hold water than the coarse does.  Two cups of verm is two cups of verm regardless, but the coarse has more air space.

Using this logic, it seems that medium grade would be ideal for substrate as it holds more water, while coarse is ideal for casing to allow for more co2 at the surface.  IDK right now, it's one in the morning and my brain is slowing down.  I'll think about it more tomorrow :P

Edited by Austiclees

sandalphon    475
sandalphon

I have mixed the two....I'll share my experience.

When I mixed the two for wbs jars...well...I can't say for sure that it was the verm's fault but I've never lost that many jars at once. VERY few actually colonized. I believed the problem to be moisture level related. I could be wrong about the cause but that was the only time I ever mixed the verm for wbs jars and that was the biggest failure I've experienced to date. Out of 50+ jars, I think only like 5 or so made it...and that was working with an lc that I know was good and tam free. (But I was still very green with this hobby, so perhaps i fucked something up as well...)

As for mixing it in the sub...I didn't seem to notice much of a difference in how the mushies grew.

Wendigo    83
Wendigo

Makes me wanna go hunt a bag if coarse down now I had no idea it was that much bigger

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Austiclees    444
Austiclees

Makes me wanna go hunt a bag if coarse down now I had no idea it was that much bigger

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Most people don't.  That was the point of my post, to enlighten.  :D

You may have your best luck at Ace Hardware.  You'll have to ask someone to get it out of the back stock room.

• Like 1

sandalphon    475
sandalphon

You may have your best luck at Ace Hardware. You'll have to ask someone to get it out of the back stock room.

That is exactly what I have to do.

Truman Sparks    152
Truman Sparks

Excellent write up Professor Austiclees! What other classes are you teaching this semester so I can get registered?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

mtdorashane    1,408
mtdorashane

Thanks for taking the time to do this experiment and share !!!!!!!   A

pcsillypj    196
pcsillypj

I've never even seen the coarse verm sold around these parts...

very interesting thanks for the thread!

Austiclees    444
Austiclees

I guess that I'll be monitoring this like my "Bird Dust" topic.  We'll see which one colonizes faster and which one puts out the best results.  That medium grade verm can really hold a high level of water content.  We'll check back in a few days and see where they are at.

After thought:

I really wish I had a third jar to spare so I could have done a combination of the two, (half med and half coarse) to put along side these, but I spawned a mono tub this morning with the other jars. Oh well.  Maybe when I have another fully colonized jar, I'll add it into the mix.

thejuggalo    93
thejuggalo

pulls up a chair ... this might get interesting 

clarity01    67
clarity01

blah cool I find that finer verm you get smaller ropes with your myc. , what does anyone think this will lead to?

air    7
air

amazing pictures, thanks for sharing.  love the wallpaper too, how did you get it? any source of it? or something similar?  print it out or what?

thanks. 

WillCon71    20
WillCon71

Well damn I couldn't find coarse around here I pray that this will do because I'm at broke and banking on these babies lol. 

tankado78    6
tankado78

I'm a NOOB to the whole mycology n shroom scene n I can't think of a better place to learn while I'm waiting of my 1st attempt at shrooms to be done. Pulling up a chair with notebook n pen in hand... You rock@Austiclees!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk