Welcome to Shroomology

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MultipleMoose

Flow Box

25 posts in this topic

This is something that I made based on some conversation in MZ's "Flow Hood For < $60" Tek. It is a combination of a flow hood and a glove box. It is pretty self explanatory with the pics.

post-6590-0-58800300-1391891665_thumb.jp

post-6590-0-27115300-1391891604_thumb.jp

I replaced the filter with a True HEPA. The unit also comes with an ionizer which I think creates ozone which also helps sterilize the air by oxidizing small particles.

I got the unit at walmart and a two pack of True HEPA filters for about $65.

Any questions or suggestions lemme know.

This is a pic of the inside with everything siliconed.

I pulled the case off of the unit to insert some screws from the inside to mount the brackets.

Looks like it should work as a positive pressure glove box.. let us know how it fairs.. turn it on and set an agar dish in there for 20 mins cover then inc... see if it's working.

test it with lc and agar

Will do.

any updates on this? did it work or tam out your stuff?

I have one  that I made to use at the college for showing how  to work with agar, out of 6 clones I did on agar only 1 tamed out with ninja. it seems to be the next best thing to a flowhood for under $100.

1 person likes this

any updates on this? did it work or tam out your stuff?

Sorry guys. I forgot to update this.

2 LC's for about 20 min.

10 agar dishes that I forgot about and left in there for about an hour.

Noc'd 12 quart jars of wbs.

No contamination yet.

2 of my agar plates contaminated a couple of weeks later because it's hard to get a good seal around them with micropore tape.

I now see why you use the widemouth half pint jars.

1 person likes this

Should have used a bigger tub though.

Should have used a bigger tub though.

What if you were able to mount it on the side of the tub somehow? Would you still need a bigger tub? Great design btw.

1 person likes this

Sorry guys. I forgot to update this.

2 LC's for about 20 min.

10 agar dishes that I forgot about and left in there for about an hour.

Noc'd 12 quart jars of wbs.

No contamination yet.

2 of my agar plates contaminated a couple of weeks later because it's hard to get a good seal around them with micropore tape.

I now see why you use the widemouth half pint jars.

yes if you are extremely clumsy with flimsy things, plastic dishes are a pain in the ass.

you should be using graphing tape or parafilm to wrap your petri dishes  

1 person likes this

^ this too but many people just use micropore (sometimes even saran wrap/press n seal) to keep them shut. what mt said is the professional way to do things and typically will yield the best results as micropore is crappy anyway.

you should be using graphing tape or parafilm to wrap your petri dishes  

^ this too but many people just use micropore (sometimes even saran wrap/press n seal) to keep them shut. what mt said is the professional way to do things and typically will yield the best results as micropore is crappy anyway.

I'll have to look into that for the remainder of my dishes.

Does the clone tissue not need air exchange in the dish?

Micropore is cheap and is more readily available to most and does work. But I do agree on the superiority of parfilm tape.

A tissue clone needs to be able to breath but does not need any real FAE while growing in the dish.

This was my first flow hood and never had contams using it. https://www.shroomology.org/index.php?/topic/1950-Alternate-Flow-Hood

Sent from my big boy phone, yup, that's right, iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

This is great! As is OP's. I noticed in the old "Let's Grow Shrooms" videos, the use of a similar glovebox was used, but to help sterilize the air within, a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol was allowed to evaporate into the chamber before use. It seemed as though there was some significant success with just that method. Has anyone attempted this? How successful was it?

Brilliant this is my add on to this

Edited by chuckufarley

Your idea inspired me I loved the mini air filter cheap available but I hate the restriction of the hard plastic tote pain in the ass to do g2g so I also saw that you can buy glove bags so I put the 2 ideas together and this is what I came up with so simple cheep and easy wallmaet small room airhepa filter duct tape and a clear 30 galon trash bag I taped the bag to the fan/ filter on the out put side cut arm holes in bag and you have a posative pressure minie clean room for about 40 bucks thats big enuff to hold a case of qt jars and have work space the advantage of useing a bag is that it is compact for travel or storage plus you can use a new bag every time instead od cleaning your box and the bag is flexable so it moves with you alowing your arms a full range of motion I just turn it on let run for a few mins and go to work I did 50 jars g2g with a 100% success rate also 6 agar dishes all growing and no tams so far im ready to sell my big hood

post-6657-0-24671800-1429018388.jpeg

Edited by chuckufarley

Your idea inspired me I loved the mini air filter cheap available but I hate the restriction of the hard plastic tote pain in the ass to do g2g so I also saw that you can buy glove bags so I put the 2 ideas together and this is what I came up with so simple cheep and easy wallmaet small room airhepa filter duct tape and a clear 30 galon trash bag I taped the bag to the fan/ filter on the out put side cut arm holes in bag and you have a posative pressure minie clean room for about 40 bucks thats big enuff to hold a case of qt jars and have work space the advantage of useing a bag is that it is compact for travel or storage plus you can use a new bag every time instead od cleaning your box and the bag is flexable so it moves with you alowing your arms a full range of motion I just turn it on let run for a few mins and go to work I did 50 jars g2g with a 100% success rate also 6 agar dishes all growing and no tams so far im ready to sell my big hood

shmuvbox isnt new

So much reading so little time mz wish I would of saw that 2 years ago its brilant cheep dont even look at my flowhood anymore

1 person likes this

So much reading so little time mz wish I would of saw that 2 years ago its brilant cheep dont even look at my flowhood anymore

if you have a question or a thought about about something, just ask or share. 9 times out of 10 you will find what you are thinking of quickly, or at least get some real good ideas on where to start. :)