What To Do With My Home Depot Sawdust Grown Reishi And Shiitake

So I thought I'd done well convincing the guy at Home Depot to give me a big bucket of sawdust from the back of the store ... 

But have just read that the sawdust may not be the cleanest and possibly very bad for me : (

I luckily spotted a post about pressure treated wood and the fact it used to contain arsenic but luckily they no longer seem to use that method on their wood.

I have two large myco baga almost 100% colonized with a mix of 1/3 alder chips (for BBQ smoking) 1/3 aspen shavings (bedding for babies) and the  now black sheep 1/3 random Home Depot Sawdust.

If my dust includes any cuttings from pressure treated wood it could congaing, according to the Home Dept site: 

Alkaline Copper Quaternary (ACQ), Copper Azole (CA), and, the newest type, Micronized Copper Quaternary (MCQ).

What do you think of the danger to the mushrooms? I should probably not eat them --- but how about cloning? If I were to get some good cluster and clone them to an LC would I run any risks on new, fresh;y sourced wood without the possible chem contamination? Would the compost from my logs be useful or does it all run the risk of carrying the heavy metals? 

Thanks for your help! 

Awooga

Mush Zombie

mushrooms (fungi) are not like plants. They decompose. They do not absorb things from the substrate in the way you are thinking. You can verify this by putting red dye in the substrate and misting water. They will not turn red.

mtdorashane

IMO you'd be better off finding fresher wood.  Get smoking wood from lowes or call a tree trimmer they generally have lots of sawdust  

Or if u have any schools around u with wood shop class

Edited by mtdorashane
shroomy_peace

MZ, Aren't some of those chemicals fungicide and if present wouldn't they inhibit colonization?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mush Zombie

I've never seen them in any mold remediation chemicals I use. Quaternary ammonium sulfate is the most common one. I'm not sure what they are, and I wont pretend to.

shroomy_peace

Lol must have been the quat thing, they just rang of something like that in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk