vaforlife

I am going to post my thoughts on the necessary features a microscope needs to have!!

COMPOUND MICROSCOPE

1. Oil immersion lens

2. 1000x plus magnification

3. Ocular micrometer eye piece

4. electric light source

5. controls to move stage mechanically

6. both a fine and course focus knob

7. standard interchangeable fitments

If I have left anything out please add to the basic list!! Remember this is for the basic beginner microscope.

Enjoy!

PLEASE READ MZ's post below for other great options. I am going to get what he is talking about for sure!!!!

Edited by vaforlife
CrazedChemist

oil immersion lenses are required for a clear image once you get to 100x magnification aren't they?

• Like 1
Mush Zombie

oil immersion lenses are required for a clear image once you get to 100x magnification aren't they?

no it is required mainly for viewing bacteria in large colonies at 1000x or better

CrazedChemist

no it is required mainly for viewing bacteria in large colonies at 1000x or better

Ah, okay, sounds pretty interesting. I don't actually have my own microscope yet  :( Hopefully soon though ha ha.

Mush Zombie

for general use you really dont need more than 500x I mostly only use 40x or 100x

vaforlife

MZ it just depends on how much you want to see! I think 400x. would be sufficient for most but the price diff could play a factor for sure! if you want to see the spores in action this is what I have found to use to see everything. it would depend on the individuals wants and needs. I dont have an oil immersion lens but if I could afford it I would have those features.

Mush Zombie

have you used a microscope to look at spores?

can you guess what the mag was I used to watch these pe spores germinate? (click for full size)

gallery_1_10_94841.jpg

gallery_1_10_6337.jpg

CrazedChemist

have you used a microscope to look at spores?

can you guess what the mag was I used to watch these pe spores germinate? (click for full size)

gallery_1_10_94841.jpg

gallery_1_10_6337.jpg

My guess is 40x?

vaforlife

1000x? yes I have viewed spores through a microscope...lol. 200 bucks can get u really nice one these days shoot 300-350. and u dont even need to look through a lens anymore.

vaforlife

I was justing putting features out there I find useful and it gives someone options who knows nothing about them. thats all!! my bad?

vaforlife

Wow send me the brand and where u got it shoot? I ddidn't think that was possible?

Mush Zombie

omax binocular. i got it on sale on amazon around xmas like 2 years ago or something

mine has the the 8mp camera upgrade. you can just get the basic version for normal use. i use mine for many things not just spores. i breed snakes so it helps to be able to look as feces and analyze mouth swab cultures in the event of a respiratory infection. most vets are clueless.

vaforlife

I get that! I grew up with many animals/reptiles but due to my job and I am limited on my animals. what kind of snakes maybe ill get one from you? I have been trying to open up my daughters eyes to all animals. I hadca boa for 10yrs before I moved?

Mush Zombie

i breed ball pythons mostly. here is one of many projects I am working on this year

post-1-0-14347000-1407377524_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-57139300-1407377525_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Shroomdoom

That second one looks cool bet he/she was expensive! I've had a couple ball pythons when I was young and dumb never had luck with them though because I wasn't home to properly care for them

vaforlife

That striped one is freaking sweet!!

Hell yeah it is!! I didnt even know folks were doing that with snakes?? peeked interest in reptiles again for sure!!!