Welcome to Shroomology

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

thekaratekid

My Flowhood Build

59 posts in this topic

I'm gonna mount carry handles on the sides and use gorilla tape around the bottom to cover the screws and filter flange, so it doesn't scratch up the table I put it on.

Have you tested it? Looks pretty sweet. I like how you mounted that carpet blower.

1 person likes this

Thanks im proud of it. No It was about to start pouring just as I finished. Plus I gotta let the caulk dry. I'm gonna try it out asap. Is there a link for how to use and care for a flowhood top to bottom, precedures?

no i mean, did you turn it on?

also you need to build a work area around the front of that.

a work area is an enclosed space to work in, which promotes laminar flow. so you need at least 3 more peices of wood, some sealer (like deck sealer) and you will need to caulk it all up to prevent any outside air leaks. use the deck sealer (or similar) to seal the wood so that it can be cleaned easily before you start working. you cant use alcohol on deck sealer though, so if you're going to be using alcohol instead of bleach water or lysol (etc), you should find a sealer you can spray alcohol on.

You could also use plexi glass or lexan for a work area. its a little more expensive and probably harder to cut, but you dont have to worry about sealing it up.

trust me it makes a huge difference in performance.

If you want to care for your flowhood just dont pour any water into the fan or drop it.

1 person likes this

nice build

1 person likes this

no i mean, did you turn it on?

No I couldn't. It would blow the pre filter out of place. Gotta let the caulk for the pre filter dry.

also you need to build a work area around the front of that.

a work area is an enclosed space to work in, which promotes laminar flow. so you need at least 3 more peices of wood, some sealer (like deck sealer) and you will need to caulk it all up to prevent any outside air leaks. use the deck sealer (or similar) to seal the wood so that it can be cleaned easily before you start working. you cant use alcohol on deck sealer though, so if you're going to be using alcohol instead of bleach water or lysol (etc), you should find a sealer you can spray alcohol on.

You could also use plexi glass or lexan for a work area. its a little more expensive and probably harder to cut, but you dont have to worry about sealing it up.

trust me it makes a huge difference in performance.

If you want to care for your flowhood just dont pour any water into the fan or drop it.

Cool! I'm gonna use plexi glass. Make 2 side walls coming straight down the sides? How long from the front of the filter?

I just turned out on. The air coming out was not as strong as id have hoped. Should I hold a lighter and see how close I get till it blows out? If it will blow it out?

So you say 3 more pieces of wood, so you mean to side walls and a top? Then lay that on a table? Basically a work area thats 2'x2'x how deep should I make it?

I'm going shopping today and I wanna grab everything

Maybe wood walls, plexi top so I can see. Originally I was gonna store the fh, and bring it out when needed. Now I see it has to be permanent. I gotta get a table too

I would like to make this a real tek. If what I wrote is sub standard, I think it is, I can make our much better. I don't have pics of every single step cause my phone/camera has a shit battery. If it's not good enough my feelings won't be hurt:) I'm just proud of my work. On another note, I'm thinking of removing the pre filter so it blows more air.

also if you really think the air flow is not enough you can use a lower grade prefilter. the 2200 is a bit over kill. I've used them as a filter by themselves with much success. I use the 2200 in mine with the same set up as you (just my blower is not mounted and its not air tight). I have zero issues with my set up at all. tbh i havent even changed the filter in over a year.

Great job KARATE KID and nice write up this will be my next project after bulk grow I guess!

1 person likes this

That work area wicked. I didn't see that post till I got back from shopping. I got 3 2'x2' pieces of thick lexan. I got two lengths of aluminum angle iron and gorilla glue clear dry epoxy to glue it together. Plus I got 2 small angle irons to make bottom feet on the lexan. I wish I had thought of using L brackets with nuts and bolts like MT. I'm gonna stick to my plan. Won't be as nice as MT, but it's gonna be pimp regardless. I'm about to make it now. I'll put up pics of the finished product.

you still need to seal all the edges, dont forget about that. MT uses packing tape to seal all the edges, i think. 

1 person likes this

My setup had to be movable. So the "shroud?" Will not be screwed to the main box. Also I bought grey garage floor paint that matches the fan. I'm gonna paint the whole box. I bought a big folding table for the whole setup to sit on. Plastic top, it folds in half and carries like a brief case. I needed a table. I'm out to make my shroud! Can't wait to show you guys!

CARPET BLOWER FTW!!!!

1 person likes this