• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

RoshJobi

I have 2 6qt dubtubs on their second flush and not long after I saw a few pins did the growth seem to stall for a couple days, stall as in no growth at all after pins reached a few mm tall. I noticed some blueing and a little bit of yellowing of the mycelium. I did not dunk after first flush, just misted "heavily." This led me to believe the sub was too dry so I proceeded to soak both tubs (with tiny pins present on the sides) for a few hours, drained, and box-fanned for a good 20-30 minutes. Did I drown the baby mushies or will they perhaps continue growing? Also, could the blue and yellow have been from something other than drying out? The blue doesn't seem to be spreading and the yellow is hardly noticable now. Any input would be swell, thanks in advance.

Here's one tub + a close-up. Dunno if you can see the blue that may simply be some kinda contamination..20150804_233637.thumb.jpg.f0eb05ca06087120150804_233623.thumb.jpg.0ee277d559ab1e

philosophae

thats just bruising from misting. 

as for the tubs pinning again, you'll have to wait and see. keep them in fruiting conditions. the tubs will either fruit or they will contaminate.

RoshJobi

Btw, everything follows the dub tub *mist and fan* tek with 50/50+ casing  (that will be applied diffently and lighter next go around so as to avoid colonization) I've got 2 regular and two zombie tubs in IC right now so it'd be good to get things sorted out now before I mess up the next batch.

Ahhh bruising from misting as opposed to not enough water? That makes some sense. Mist from higher up from now on? I have a "3x output" spray bottle so maybe it was too much at once.

Mush Zombie

is there a fan on in the room? are there gaps between the tubs?

RoshJobi

There's a ceiling fan on always. I try to line the tubs up pretty well but I'll come home to them shifted over a little sometimes... the duct tape hinge comes off all the time.

Looks like they're fuzzing up over the blue and other areas too. Looks like mycelium to me.. but the pins are the same size as a few days ago. Almost looks like thry are fuzzing over too.

Mush Zombie

turn the fan off for now. line the lips of the tubs with duct tape and see if you get better grip like that so there is no shifting. the bruising and metabolytes is coming from low rh.

I doubt the heavy misting caused the mushrooms to abort. ive had mushrooms grow on substrates that i dunked and forgot about. left them in a tote full of water for a week or more. they grew under water. looked funny but still grew

RoshJobi

That's a fun fact; someone at an aeroponics grow shop asked me if I've heard of mushrooms growing underwater and I told him no. Of course it's not the ideal environment but that's a Cool thing to know.  Thanks,  I'll see what I can do when I get home.  

Mush Zombie

na its not a good environment at all actually. not really conducive. i wouldnt eat them either they were slimy with bacteria. 

RoshJobi

Just curious, were they pinning before you had them dunking or did they pin and grow completely underwater? 

Mush Zombie

i dunked a tub after harvesting, so yes they alread had primordia formed, since second flush primordia is generated during the first flush. although most people dont consider hyphal knots pins, they are.

RoshJobi

Ahh, word. I've seen you mention that before. mushrooms are crazy, man.

For example,  look at the shiitake in my profile picture. I grew a mushroom that grew a mushroom on top :P

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

it gets crazier than that ;)

RoshJobi

New pins!! All sidepins again so I see that the spot they decided to grow, between the bag and sub, is where the humidity is, duhh.

RoshJobi

What's the advantage to cutting down the bag you spawn into once it's fully colonized? Does it help keep the bag tight to the sub as it shrinks? Cause I skipped that part and I regret it a little bit

Mush Zombie

That's the exact reason why you're supposed to cut the bag down

RoshJobi

It's one thing to follow a tek and just do what it says but I'm glad I messed a few things up so I can see WHY certain things are important. Thanks for your help. For the next question I have, should I start a new post or continue on this one?

Mush Zombie

if your question is relevant to drowning pins, continue. if its not relevant to the first question in the title, then its best to start a new thread. this helps us organize posts later for the archives, which will be helpful to other members looking for the same information

• Like 1

thejuggalo

There's a ceiling fan on always. I try to line the tubs up pretty well but I'll come home to them shifted over a little sometimes... the duct tape hinge comes off all the time.

Looks like they're fuzzing up over the blue and other areas too. Looks like mycelium to me.. but the pins are the same size as a few days ago. Almost looks like thry are fuzzing over too.

the pins that got dunked are more than likely dead ... if they are fuzzing over id remove them b4 they cause a problem 

RoshJobi

The problem with that is a majority of them are between the bag and sub so to remove them, I would be disturbing the new set of shroomies. But I'll be able to harvest in a couple days so I'll make sure to get em all. Any chance I should expect a third flush from these (Coffe, coir, lime)? or will they be pretty much spent? I don't have a place to put spent subs outdoors at the moment but I'm sure a friend wouldn't mind taking them to their compost pile.

thejuggalo

let em go till they start contaminating ... there is no telling how many flushes you can get ... i had a straw log that just kept going  got to 13 flushes and finally caught the green ninja ... i can tell you that there will be less and less mush the farther you let it go though ... i let that log go just to see what would happen ... one thing u can do is take all your spent sub out to the woods , or your backyard , and bury it ... next season you should have some outdoor shroomies 

RoshJobi

Wow that's nuts. Yeah I won't be living where I am next year but I could leave a surprise for or whoever takes over haha

• Like 1

themotleygrow

As my cakes get older they start to get dry so I plop them into a tub of water and put a lid with holes on top and they flush again sometimes 3 or 4 times for a quart jar of spawn. I call them hydroshrooms, then I lay them to rest in a garden made just for them.

104_0801.JPG

104_0805.JPG

104_0806.JPG

104_0888.JPG

104_0909.JPG

• Like 1

Trippaholic

Now that's awesome

Mush Zombie

Most of those mushrooms have a mild case of bacterial blotch. That's what happens when you leave a sub in water

Trippaholic

As my cakes get older they start to get dry so I plop them into a tub of water and put a lid with holes on top and they flush again sometimes 3 or 4 times for a quart jar of spawn. I call them hydroshrooms, then I lay them to rest in a garden made just for them.

104_0801.JPG

104_0805.JPG

104_0806.JPG

104_0888.JPG

104_0909.JPG

Do you add anything to the water to hold back bacteria? I'm definitely gonna try this.. It makes me wonder.. If you fruited a tub for the 1st flush, harvested, then took the sub out & put it in another tub the same size, but with 4-5" of water in it & just let it float & fruit like that, would the myc use all the extra water to produce a shitload of monsters?