Trichocereus Cactus Grow Log

magicman

Hell ya man, that's awesome! My Pere cuts dropped most of their unhealthy leaves, have perked right up, and are hopefully rooting. I expect to see new growth very soon, these guys root very easily and grow very quickly, so the grafting should be taking place soon!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• magicman

• Loneshroom

• mushmouth

• Don_Shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just obtained 2 Loph cacti, or Peyote plants, one is 5 years old, the other is 6 years old and came with a seed pod that had 6 or 7 seeds which I will be germinating ASAP and then I plan on grafting

I have seedlings! A bunch of the T. Bridgesii and T. Peruvianus have sprouted, and I even see 1 Loph seedling popping up. I am surprised that the 4yo cactus seeds are so viable. I will have more seedl

My 7yo Peyote cactus put out a flower! That means I should get a few more seeds soon  

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
Loneshroom

Man I don't know anything about this, but amazed I am. Hella fuckin cool.

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk

• Like 1
magicman

yes exactly. They pump all their water and energy up into whatever is grafted to them on top and don't grow at all. That's why you can get your seedling to get big fast, and then cut them off and put them in their own pot after they reach 12". Then they'll start growing like crazy every summer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Loneshroom

Hella fucking cool magic! How do you know if they take?

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk

magicman

So after looking it up again, I need to keep the grafts in darkness for at least 2 days, then gradually introduce light back to them. Apparently they do their healing in the dark. Also, they only need 60% RH, but I don't think it's going to hurt them if it's more.

I'll throw a black trash bag over the bin for a few days and remove the saran wrap. Another thing I did wrong was to take all the leaves off. If I left them on they would grow faster once the grafts took. 50% success rate is considered good, so I will be happy if 1 of them takes :) 

• Like 2
MysticMadness

I am amazed, keep it up!

So I've read very little about cultivating cacti - but would it be easier/faster to graft like this or just buy a few 12"-14" cuttings?

magicman

It's a lot easier and faster to just buy some 12" or longer cuts. The tops are the best for good fast growth each summer. I got 4 top cuts off of ebay

MysticMadness
9 hours ago, magicman said:

It's a lot easier and faster to just buy some 12" or longer cuts. The tops are the best for good fast growth each summer. I got 4 top cuts off of ebay

Sweet - I may try it, thanks! Also, do they have a large root structure? Do you need to repot them when they get bigger?

magicman
6 hours ago, Loneshroom said:

Sing to them Magic, sing to them.

I serenade all my babies- gf, dog, mushies and plants LOL

3 hours ago, MysticMadness said:

Sweet - I may try it, thanks! Also, do they have a large root structure? Do you need to repot them when they get bigger?

They don't have a large root structure. Planting a 12" cut in a 5 gallon pot will be big enough for it for a while I think. When they get tall enough to be top heavy, where the wind keeps blowing them over, then I would consider going up to a bigger pot, or put them in the ground if you can. They don't like below-freezing temps though.

8 minutes ago, Niidaho said:

U going to try loph next?

I had like a dozen Loph seeds when I popped the Trich's, but the 3 that germinated got killed by algae. They turned to jelly. As soon as I can find more seeds I will try again, this time giving them more love and attention. Anyone in Canada want to send me some? ;) I had this one chick in Canada send me 10 Loph seeds but she never hit me back when I asked her for more :( 

• Like 1
Don_Shadow
12 hours ago, magicman said:

I had like a dozen Loph seeds when I popped the Trich's, but the 3 that germinated got killed by algae. They turned to jelly. As soon as I can find more seeds I will try again, this time giving them more love and attention. Anyone in Canada want to send me some? ;) I had this one chick in Canada send me 10 Loph seeds but she never hit me back when I asked her for more :( 

I live in coastal BC, pm me

magicman

I love that area of Canada. If I had to move to Canada, that's where it would be for sure.