Trichocereus Cactus Grow Log

magicman

Well, down to only 1 seedling, but I think it's gonna take. The smaller one with the white fuzz got eaten down to nothing.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• magicman

• Loneshroom

• mushmouth

• Don_Shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just obtained 2 Loph cacti, or Peyote plants, one is 5 years old, the other is 6 years old and came with a seed pod that had 6 or 7 seeds which I will be germinating ASAP and then I plan on grafting

I have seedlings! A bunch of the T. Bridgesii and T. Peruvianus have sprouted, and I even see 1 Loph seedling popping up. I am surprised that the 4yo cactus seeds are so viable. I will have more seedl

My 7yo Peyote cactus put out a flower! That means I should get a few more seeds soon  

Posted Images

MysticMadness
1 hour ago, magicman said:

Well, down to only 1 seedling, but I think it's gonna take. The smaller one with the white fuzz got eaten down to nothing.

They got ate? O.O

magicman

Nope, just squished the seedlings on top of the Peres. It's all juicy when you make the fresh cuts, so they kinda stick together on their own. Some peeps use super glue, I may try that on the next round of grafts.

Niidaho

Did u lose the others to mold are fungus infection do u think ? Dehydration are just part of growing.i know with trees u lose some know matter what u do .

magicman

2 of them dried up and fell off, 1 got white mold at the graft site, and it looked like it was eaten from the inside. There was just a "puddle" of spines left

3 hours ago, Don_Shadow said:

Nice job! You're a pro now

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Thanks DS! But far from a pro still lol

• Like 1
magicman

I think 1 out of the last 2 grafts took :) I'm taking it out of the humidity chamber. I planted the Pedro x Monstrose and Peyote seeds in the same tray as the others, but I need to move them under a humidity dome- they keep drying out and will never make it unless I keep them moist for a month or 2. Here is the 2nd grafted Trich seedling that made it.

20160826_205758_resized.jpg

20160826_205809_resized.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Macrogenus crossed with a T. Peruv I think. I love macros, they are a weird pancake shape usually. Don't know what to expect from this cross, depends on the phenos I suppose. Only 3 have germ'd out of a dozen so far :( The loph seedlings look good so far, but not a great germ rate either. Still, I'm just happy to have any, and I still have plenty more seed :D 

Mad props to whoever was kind enough to donate these loph seeds to me, you know who you are :wub:

• Like 1
Don_Shadow

Isolating cactus strains must be an heirloom practice... maybe your great great grandkids will find a way to perfect yours. As for the seed donor, he sounds like a dick. Rumor has it he's got some real nice bm's kicking off on agar though... (after a few failed attempts ;)

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lol I'm not isolating, just trying to grow from seed and then graft some of those :) Hopefully in a few years me seedlings and grafts will be in a cactus garden, and I can let them naturally cross-pollinate and have mystery seeds lol! If that makes sense

• Like 1
Don_Shadow
12 hours ago, magicman said:

Lol I'm not isolating, just trying to grow from seed and then graft some of those :) Hopefully in a few years me seedlings and grafts will be in a cactus garden, and I can let them naturally cross-pollinate and have mystery seeds lol! If that makes sense

Yeah I didn't think ya were... I was just trying to imagine how tough it must be to refine cactus strains as they seem to grow so incredibly slowly. I hope you get your cactus garden Magic. That reminds me of one of my favorite Herzog films, The Land of Silence and Darkness. It's a documentary about a community of deaf-blind people, and how they communicate and perceive the world. At one point in the film the group is taken on a tour of a cacti garden, and they explore it by touching all of the plants. It's a really moving documentary, I highly recommended it to anyone interested in the subject of sensory deprivation.

3.jpg18-2.jpg10262_4.jpg

• Like 1