OpenBar

I'd just like to know who uses rye berries and where they get them I'm having a hard time finding them locally and was looking for a site online that does cheap bulk. 

Niidaho

I've heard wheat and  oat berries work as good and u can buy them at Wally World .somthing to chew on .

• Like 1
sillygoose

walmart has them i started using them also try health food store them are not really cheap 25 pounds for $30

u can use white wheat too wally world has them $16 for 25 pounds  i  like rye berries rinse them and soak quicker get ready than wbs 

i started use spawn bags for my grain a lot easier to break up

MushFlush

$10-12 for 50lbs of whole oats at the feed store...no soak, no simmer...winning. I was getting white millet at $20 for 50lbs. That would last me about 6 months, but half the price for better results, I can't argue.

• Like 1

Giddy Up!

Oops, sorry, thought I was on different OMC: Giddy the F*CK Up!   ;P"

• Like 1
thekaratekid

I can't get berries bulk either. I'm about to try the whole oats. I have wbs down to a science finally but I'm paying over 15 for 40lbs and I have to float a bunch away. 15 for 50lbs of oats that I dont have to clean is sounding good to me.

• Like 2
Niidaho

That's broken up .you want whole oats.

The bucket at Wally World will do a hell of allot of jars .goose I made 12 jars and barley made a dent maybe a pound pound and a half?

• Like 1
MushFlush

WHOLE  oats. hull and all. What you feed to horses.  Groats are the kernels, and not the right idea for grains. So with grain spawn you have hulls because during hydration and sterilization, the hulls open a bit and expose the goodness inside. The myc colonises and feeds on the goodness. It expands and you need to break it up for spawning. So after you beat the jar to hell, all the myc that's inside that little shell or hull stays protected and that whole grain becomes a noc point from which the colony expands again. Plus the hull prevents the starchy kernel from expanding too much and turning to mush.

• Like 1
sillygoose

ok thanks mf have go through 25 lbs rye first been using 6 cups per spawn bag kinda like bags little easier to break up 

• Like 1
MushFlush

I know @87F150 has done oat bags. He can weigh in on whether the recipe for quart jars translates directly to a bag. I don't see why it wouldn't.

OpenBar
17 hours ago, MushFlush said:

$10-12 for 50lbs of whole oats at the feed store...no soak, no simmer...winning. I was getting white millet at $20 for 50lbs. That would last me about 6 months, but half the price for better results, I can't argue.

Went to local feed store and got 50 lbs of whole oats for $14.08!!!

How do i prep oats? sames as WBS? I see you say no soak or simmer...

IMG_20160402_155100_zpsvumxbyhv.jpg

• Like 2
moon_walker

I get my rye berries from Oliver's market (health food type store) for 89 cents a pound. That's where i also get my corn kernels for about a buck a pound they let u fill ur own bags dip that's always fun walking up to the cashier gettin the curious Eye buying 3 stuffed bags of rye Berri and corn kernels ha ha ha ha. That shits all organic too 

• Like 1
MushFlush

Like I said, keep shaking until it doesn't look like that. Every 5-10 mins while they cool. Shake shake shake.

Then shake some more. It'll look better and better. Keep the moisture distributed, especially while they're warm.

• Like 1
thekaratekid

They don't look wet to me. Just looks like condensation as they cool. 

thekaratekid

No I've only used wbs so far. The tek looks good though.