• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sneeves

Ambitious first time grower using rye seed

Sneeves

I purchased Scott's Turf Rye Seed (can't remember the exact full name), however, when I opened the bag I noticed the seeds coated in blue.  I figured I made a mistake by not purchasing all natural seeds.  But I thought I would rinse them out good, soak for 24 hrs, boil, and PC them.  I just inoculated a couple minutes ago.

Does anyone foresee these jars being a high contamination probability in regards to the blue coating even with the Pressure Cooker working it's magic??

I've read a couple posts of members using the same brand, but I'm not sure if I got a peculiar kind.  Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

MushFlush

:thinking: very curious to see how that works out. Pics of your jars? 

Niidaho

I know some seeds are coated with fungicide and fertilizer.maybe that's the blue ?Im with MushFlush I'd like to know how they turn out.

• Like 1

Sneeves

Will do.  I'll keep you guys updated!

• Like 2

MushFlush

I'd like to see what they look like now. Just the grain jar. I know you nocc'd but snap a pic of one so as to show the grain. 

• Like 1

thekaratekid

Do you still have the bag? Find out what's coating those seeds. Look on the internet if the bag isn't marked. I know the blue is fertilizer, but if there is fungicide on them..... that's not good.

MushFlush

Woah wait...you can't grow fungus if there's fungicide? Dafuq? ;)

• Like 1

thekaratekid

I tried looking it up for you but there were too many different kinds. I wanna see pics too!

Sneeves

Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Perennial Ryegrass Mix

"Contains Watersmart Plus coating to absorb x2 amount of water than uncoated seed."

I've looked at a couple of the jars at there's drops of moisture on the sides of the jar which weren't there after I PC'ed them :(
Is this a fuck up batch?

Maybe I should have started with cakes instead of seeds.

IMG_2527.JPG

Sneeves

I live in the midwest, so I'm sure there's a feed store nearby.  I can search for one.  Why do you ask @MushFlush?

• Like 1

Sneeves

I need to step back and rethink the method I want to implement to grow.  I believe I simply got too excited after watching a couple YouTube videos on growing, then went out and bought supplies soon after.  I just discovered this wonderful forum a couple days ago.

Is Mushzombie's 6qt dubtub tek recommended to follow for a first timer?

I got a little to hasty and over confident with a bulk rye seed mono tub tek.  What was I thinking?!?! :blink:

• Like 2

MushFlush

Bulk is just as easy, you just got the wrong shit to work with.

• Like 1

MushFlush

You can get several good grains to work with at a feed store. Oats, millet, wild bird seed, etc. What I would do is follow the 6qt tek, using wbs. Many a newcomer has had success with that tek the first time. Many more still use it for every grow. It's a solid tek. 

• Like 2

Sneeves

Thank you @MushFlush and @mushmouth.  I'll gather myself together, take it slow and follow the 6qt tek.  I'll keep you updated on these jars however.

• Like 2

Sneeves

Two sides to 2 jars I inoculated.  I have 4 more that look similar.  Thoughts?  Should I shake soonish?

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

• Like 1

MushFlush

Shake em. Break em up real good, spread the myc around as best as you can.

mushmouth

Looks ready to shake to me.

mescawin

20 to 30% so you probably could have shaken that first jar a bit earlier.

Sneeves

I have 3 tubs in the spawn run stage, however, there isn't any sort of incubation.  I keep my apartment around 72-75 degrees.  Is this fine?  Will I have to prolong the usual wait time of 7 days since the temp is lower?

I'm following the 6 quart dub tub tek.  Thanks!

Niidaho

I would think those temps would slow u down but not to much .i run 75 to 78 are so.so I'd just go on the long side of the spawn recommendations wich is 7 to 11 days if I remember right might want to check the tec.

• Like 1

Sneeves

I'm going to implement the casing/fruiting stage tomorrow.  How long before I should expect to harvest?  Thanks for the information.

I'm moving to Cali from the Midwest in 6 weeks.  Don't want the move to mess things up.

• Like 1