• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

mescawin

Here goes my 70 qt monotub attempt

mescawin

1I used 5 quart wbs, gypsum soaked jars as my spawn. Substrate is coir and verm, tad bit pickling lime. ~650 g of coir, 2 quarts coarse verm, less than a half cup pickling lime. About a 1:3 ratio.

It's been colonizing for 11 days now. Does it look properly/sufficiently colonized? Should i go ahead and case and give fae? I plan to use the 5050+ casing. 

Thanks all. 

20160927_085200.jpg

• Like 1

FEARNOBEER

You got a bird seed tree growing in there? Lol. I'd say give it a couple more days jus for the hell of it. Still see lots of brown in there.

• Like 1

mescawin

I sure do. Yeah. Originally, i was going to wait till day 14. Looks like i should indeed.

mescawin

So I just finished casing my monotub. I used the 5050+ tek, pc'd it 30 minutes yesterday night. 

20161001_104604.jpg

So this tub has 3/8th inch holes drilled into it. I assume that's no problem, although a deviation from MZ's monotek i was following. There are currently 6 holes total. Two low on each of the long sides, 1 on each end. Will I likely need more holes, or just keep up with daily fanning? 

Crossing fingers for a sterile casing layer and successful pinning soon.

It doesnt matter that my lid is green, right? Should I go ahead and weatherstrip the tub lid or just let it be?

Mush Zombie

are there holes around the bottom? the top holes need to be 1" at least for a tub that size. your fan in the room and its placement is also pretty critical...

mescawin

My fan is just a ceiling fan right now. I have an oscillating fan I could set up for more air power. I have a ridiculously small amount of space in my apartment so the mono is set up beside my bed, elevated up some two feet.
So I guess I should drill two more holes in the top? I have holes along the bottom (a few inches above the casing layer because I measure badly). I have 2 holes on each of long sides (4 3/8'' holes near sub). I have 2 holes up top right now, they're only 3/8'' as well. Since my mono isn't weatherstripped, shouldn't it get some fae through the lid (or is that just a humidity loss concern)?

Do I drill the tubs, or do I make sure I manually fan at least once a day?

2016-10-01 11.58.16.jpg

Mush Zombie

Just fan that manually. It's not going to work up against a wall like that very well. Thats your best bet with such small space. 

FEARNOBEER

Could he just put it ON the bed? Michael Jackson shared a bed with baby dicks, why can't he? Lol jks

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

the principles behind the tek dictate whether its going to work or not. its not going to work without a powerful fan that can circulate air AROUND the tub without being pointed directly at the tub. doesnt matter where he sets it. plus the holes arent right.

Niidaho

I faner mine and it did realy well .looking forward to seeing some pinnage:D 

• Like 1

mescawin

I have it a bit higher now. Our window is quite drafty and it's at lid height, so air should come in through the window through the tub.

I know the holes are still incorrect. If I'm supposed to have 1/4 inch holes every inch around the bottom, it'd give me about 17 on each long side. I definitely screwed up there. Hopefully, this tub will work until I can prepare a new one with the proper holes.2016-10-01 14.12.30.jpg

mescawin

I think my tub has the green and cobweb double whammy. I'm going no casing next time. I think it just opens too many contam doors. Perhaps not for a more careful cultivator... but as it stands,  I'm pretty sure the tub is shot. I'm a let it keep going since i have nothing else going on. 

I did a h202 spray, especially where i saw cobweb. And I'll be fanning it more often, at least twice a day, hopefully thrice. So I'm just out of luck with trich?

20161003_021421.jpg

20161003_021512.jpg

Mush Zombie

You needed more air flow or you needed to fan more often. Cobweb is always due to lack of air flow

mescawin

Well, ima go full disclosure and display all my recent errors. I drilled more holes in the tub, at first i followed the few holes i had made, and then i realized i could lower the new holes to the substrate level. They look like shit. I feel like shit. Lol. Hopefully,  it'll go better with my next tub.

I soaked a few paper towels with h202 and covered the green and cobweb and removed some of the casing layer. Sprayed with h202 water mist.

Do these holes look better?  I know they're uneven, one long end has them a few inches higher than the other.

20161003_095947.jpg

Niidaho

Looks closer to the tec now should do better now.good luck

mescawin

So I'm starting to realize that there is just no fighting trich. Here's a picture I just took. This huge white splotch is undoubtedly trich before spores, right? I'm about to go dump this tub outside unless someone says it has at least a decent chance of fruiting indoors.

My highs are 75 and my lows are right at 33. It's probably too late for me to bury the monotub outside, right? I'll still try it rather than throwing it all away, but should I expect no fruits (this year at least). Will an outdoor cubensis patch survive a freezing and snowy winter?

I've got 4 6 quarts I'll be starting up soon, hopefully, I'll have better luck with those.

2016-10-06 09.35.41.jpg

2016-10-06 10.05.25.jpg

mescawin

I dug a hole outside for the contents of the tub. I also layered somewhat composted grass trimmings on the top of the pile. Unfortunately, we had a frost warning yesterday, and I think it went below freezing. Does anyone know if the patch is dead, or dormant now? The temps will be climbing back to ~70 for daytime, night they'll be above 35. Any chance of it fruiting? How long should an outdoor patch take to fruit? It'll probably die during the winter, right?

PsychoNanoNaut

Damn, sorry to hear that. I will observe a moment of silence for your tub. -_-

• Like 1

Niidaho

I was wondering that same question myself .if u don't have real hard freezes with a deep permafrost they should make it with a good mulch layer . But I'm supposing here .maybe one of the whales will sound off with some experience are facts.

PsychoNanoNaut

I have buried several failures in my garden. I know the feeling of denial and hope that it can still somehow make it. I read the posts here frantically looking for some assurance. I learned that you have to just move on and reflect on what you might have done wrong to not repeat it. Focus now on the new batch and you will be rewarded richly. Mushies know, you don't want the new ones to get jealous cuz you are moping around from a lost love. I wish you much prosperity friend. 

• Like 1

mescawin

I have 4 dub tubs worth of sub that I just finished pasteurizing. Used my pressure cooker, no weight attached. I used a remote probe thermometer to measure the inside of the oven bag as I pasteurized. I did about 80 minutes measured right about 145 F. The sub mix was coco coir (1 brick's weight). I also used about a cup of used coffee grounds and I added in 1/3 cup of gypsum. Wanted to branch into some horse poo compost, but I'll do that next round. So right before bed, if I'm hitting temps of 80 degrees, I'm going to spawn four 6 quart z-tubs. Some of the quart jars took 5 days to colonize, so I'm anticipating good clean grows.

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

Do you adjust your pH? Do you have a pH meter? Do you have an incubator for all these tubs?

mescawin

I have a tit that I keep the water at 79 degrees. I have a ph meter (made sure I calibrated it) and it just measured 6 for my sub which is still cooling. Should I go ahead and throw in about 3 tbsp of pickling lime?

Mush Zombie

You sub needs to be 7.5 - 8.0 pH. Pasteurizing won't solve your problem. It's an issue of low pH or slow colonization or both except for the casing layer which needs a lot of air. 

mescawin

My monotub looked fully colonized in close to 10 days or less. I think you mentioned the issue with my monotub was likely bad grain spawn cause it showed trich in the casing within 2 (probably 1 day). Until I put the casing layer in, the entire tub looked fully colonized and very healthy (not sure if I should have left it alone longer than the 15 days I let it colonize/consolidate before adding the casing layer). I PC'd my casing for 30 minutes, so not sure how it wasn't sterile. I spawned in open air, but after spraying down bedroom with lots of lysol and leaving an air purifier on for a few days there.

My casing mix I made last time had plenty of crushed oyster shells and pickling lime to buffer pH, but I might have screwed up my substrate pH level. I'll be adding some pickling lime to this substrate batch right now and mixing, then testing until I can reach closer to 7.5. Should I add COS to my sub mix, or just casing?