Reishi, morels, et al.

RhythmAddict

I've been a minor cultivation enthusiast ever since I grew and harvested my own Trinidad Scorpion chile pepper plant.  For a while I stuck with peppers (I'm stoked to see Carolina Reaper threads here.  I grew those too and an army of habaneros/ cayenne/jalapeño/ crimson hot/and others).  Then I slowly ventured into other territory (horseradish, coffee plants...etc).

Now I find myself interested in cultivating mushrooms.  Originally I was drawn to P. Cubensis which I still intend to start with, however I now see the possibility to cultivate my favorite of all mushrooms, the morel.  In addition, I've seen some threads regarding Reishi by enthusiasts as well as other intruiging varieties.

If anyone has experience with edibles like morels or even garden variety mushrooms I'd love to learn more (particularly spore printing morels).  As far as medicinal shrooms I'm very interested in growing reishi and procuring spores.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

85190026.jpg

• Like 1
Queen Isabella

I am just getting into morel's, I have a liquid culture. Two jars of spawn that I put in the roots at the base of a giant oak tree yesterday. I have half the liquid culture syringe left from the vendor and a quart jar of liquid culture started from the syringe. The mycelium of this mushroom grows quickly and wispy then forma sclerotia. You can order a kit of sawdust that is used to start a patch outdoors, they don't guarantee mushroom Fruiting because morel's are a little different than other shrooms. Have you went on YouTube , try search phrase growing morel's. I will be starting some sawdust spawn this weekend. 

• Like 1
Those Who Were

there are shittons of different morels and i believe only some are suited for indoor cultivation. one indoor cultivation used a type of yellow or lighter colored morel i believe, but i have also heard of black morels being cultivated. the main jist of morels is u have to grow the sclerotia to have enough nutrients saved up then transfer them to a very nutrient poor environment and induce fruiting after that substrate is colonized.

oh and for printing morels is just like this but i think you wont get a visible amount of spores at all unless very lucky. take a flame sterilized needle or paperclip and poke it through the top of the morel and let it hang above a plate of agar for a lil bit so the spores fall onto the plate. in sterile conditions of course cuz u gotta let the plate stay open with the morel above it for a good bit. u can like manipulate the morel with ur fingers to make more spores drop if u want.

i think itd work best in a jar with agar at the bottom

• Like 1
PsychedelicTarantulas

Speaking of Reishi I also have been interested in its health benefits. Does anybody know where I could find a website that carries a liquid extract of reishi I could try before I go all in on growing them? Thanks for posting this R.A. I have had this on my mind for awhile but keep forgetting about the medicinal mushrooms.

• Like 2
RhythmAddict
6 hours ago, Queen Isabella said:

I am just getting into morel's, I have a liquid culture. Two jars of spawn that I put in the roots at the base of a giant oak tree yesterday. I have half the liquid culture syringe left from the vendor and a quart jar of liquid culture started from the syringe. The mycelium of this mushroom grows quickly and wispy then forma sclerotia. You can order a kit of sawdust that is used to start a patch outdoors, they don't guarantee mushroom Fruiting because morel's are a little different than other shrooms. Have you went on YouTube , try search phrase growing morel's. I will be starting some sawdust spawn this weekend. 

I have only briefly searched for print techniques online and most results took me to shroomery posts that weren't too helpful aside from explainimg that the spores shoot outwards from the cap vs. falling down from under the cap.  I'll definitely get on YouTube and search.  I don't think we can promote non sponsor vendors, so would you be willing to PM the vendor to me?

55 minutes ago, PsychedelicTarantulas said:

Speaking of Reishi I also have been interested in its health benefits. Does anybody know where I could find a website that carries a liquid extract of reishi I could try before I go all in on growing them? Thanks for posting this R.A. I have had this on my mind for awhile but keep forgetting about the medicinal mushrooms.

I tried searching for reishi spores online but only found supplements and tinctures.  I'd love to grow these fresh for someone I know whos wife has been battling cancer.  Might try taking the supplement version myself.  When I posted this I was thinking how there are other types of mushrooms I could grow for practice or just plain fun.  A guy on YouTube was growing button mushrooms he found at a store  (or so it seemed).  Is it possible to cultivate edibles you find at the store?

I wonder how hard it would be to cultivate chaga or turkey tail.  This article stoked my fungi interests.

http://reset.me/story/medical-mushrooms-5-fungi-capable-of-healing/

• Like 2
RhythmAddict
1 hour ago, Queen Isabella said:

Sure you can clone edible from the store. I am cloning an oyster on coffee grounds as we speak.

Very cool!  looks like I have reading to do!

• Like 1