terro20013

Ok guys I gave it another shot. This time I used El pirinas suggestions. .I mixed 2-1-1 verm, brf and distilled water..mixing the water with verm and then adding the brf worked for me.. I have pics but still can't download them here.. if anyone would like to see them, I could email them, and maybe you could download? Again, thanks al203, mush and El_Piraña. . You guys are the shit!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terro20013

• CaptainRabbit

• El_Piraña

• mushmouth

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

found this welcome thread with 148 replies. incredible. kind of seems like it should have been in grow logs. I suppose the welcome forum always has doubled as a noob grow log kiddie skating rink

Posted Images

terro20013

I'm fighting the urge to crack open the pc to see how the jars faired.. they finished ping 745 last night..

terro20013

Ok soo my second attempt at brf cakes didn't fare much better.. I will try my best to get some pics up tonight.. I felt much better about the mixing of the substrate this time. I filled them to the neck, and I filled the rest of the way with fine grade holdiculture verm, put foil on tight as I could, and pressure cooked.. 24 hrs. Later when I'm getting ready to noc, I pull the foil off and I see that the the contamination barrier is down the jar a bit.. when looking at it closer,is see that for lack of a better term, the substrate has settled.. I know this isn't correct. I noticed around one of the jars, that when I took the foil off there was a drop or two of moisture. I'm now 0 for 2 with the cakes , and this sucks.. like I said, I'll try and get the pics up tonight..

El_Piraña
32 minutes ago, terro20013 said:

Ok soo my second attempt at brf cakes didn't fare much better.. I will try my best to get some pics up tonight.. I felt much better about the mixing of the substrate this time. I filled them to the neck, and I filled the rest of the way with fine grade holdiculture verm, put foil on tight as I could, and pressure cooked.. 24 hrs. Later when I'm getting ready to noc, I pull the foil off and I see that the the contamination barrier is down the jar a bit.. when looking at it closer,is see that for lack of a better term, the substrate has settled.. I know this isn't correct. I noticed around one of the jars, that when I took the foil off there was a drop or two of moisture. I'm now 0 for 2 with the cakes , and this sucks.. like I said, I'll try and get the pics up tonight..

Maybe part of the issue is that the vermiculite is fine grade? I used medium grade so I can't say from experience whether that is the issue for sure.

It would be useful to see a pic to see how the BRF sub has settled. If the BRF mixture is ok and the only problem is the vermiculite barrier, then you could simply use a modified lid and don't use the vermiculite barrier at all. The lid can have a SHIP and a few small holes covered in tyvek for GE. Making these lids is very easy.  Also, once the jar is inoculated with a new lid, you don't have to be as careful handling the jar.  

• Like 1
terro20013

Maybe part of the issue is that the vermiculite is fine grade? I used medium grade so I can't say from experience whether that is the issue for sure.

It would be useful to see a pic to see how the BRF sub has settled. If the BRF mixture is ok and the only problem is the vermiculite barrier, then you could simply use a modified lid and don't use the vermiculite barrier at all. The lid can have a SHIP and a few small holes covered in tyvek for GE. Making these lids is very easy.  Also, once the jar is inoculated with a new lid, you don't have to be as careful handling the jar.  

I will do my best tonight to get pics up.. so I filled the sub up to the neck withe coarse verm , brf and distilled water. Then I fill the rest of the way flush with the opening. When I took the foil off, I noticed that the contamination barrier was down to where the substrate level was. So something happend to the substrate. It settled , compacted or something like that. Hell, I thought I got the mixture right. Oh and then I tried to noc one of the jars anyway, and put way too much in.. lol I've got club hands..lol

terro20013
These recent jars are looking better man. But next time , maybe try fill in the jar with your brf mix to the very top. Then give it a gentle to semi firm tap on the palm of your hand. Load more mix if it drops below a half inch from the top. Repeat. Fill top 1/2" with dry verm for a contamination barrier. 

Thanks for the information. . I have to buy some more ingredients, and more spores. I'm wondering if I should just move on to a mono tub tek?

terro20013
These recent jars are looking better man. But next time , maybe try fill in the jar with your brf mix to the very top. Then give it a gentle to semi firm tap on the palm of your hand. Load more mix if it drops below a half inch from the top. Repeat. Fill top 1/2" with dry verm for a contamination barrier. 

So the consistency of the brf looked ok?

terro20013
You should take a look at the 6 qt dub tub tek and the zombie tub tek. These are pretty easy to do and you'll get much better results than what you would get from the cakes.  If you setup the zombie tub, you won't need a fruiting chamber and you won't need to mist and fan.

Thanks man..

• Like 2
terro20013
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, El_Piraña said:

Here's a picture of one of my last BRF jars using a modified lid, no vermiculite barrier. IMG_1951.PNG

oh wow..

terro20013

I made a second attempt with brf cakes on Sunday and pressure cooked the jars. On Monday when I went to noc the brf cakes, I noticed that the sub had settled, and the tami barrier was now 1/2 inch lower. I decided to noc a few anyway, and on my first attempt, put way to much in the first jar. Roughly 2 cc's.. talk about a learning curv.. any, between the settling of the brf sub, and using to much spores, I decided to abort the noc'ing.. well after noc'ing the jar I put micro tape over the holes and put the jar on a shelf in the bedroom. . The heat was about 68, so I turned the space heater and got the temp up to 77.. today I looked at the jar, and low and behold, there's mycelium growing, with no signs of tam.. I'm so freaking excited to say the least, and wish I would have continued to noc the rest.. I'm not sure what to do if the jar fully colonizes the jar..anyway I'm stoked.. I also think I'm going to give the 6 qt dub tub tek a shot.. I went and bought qt jars, a five gal bucket and some wbs today. I plan to order more spores, but was wondering how many qt jars of wbs can I noc up with 6 cc's of spores?

Ohh and I'll take a pic of the jar later and post it

• Like 2
terro20013

this one and only jar looks tam free so far.. how would I fruit just one jar? not sure its worth setting up the fruiting chamber for one jar? I am happy that at least I am on the right track..

20170219_084356_1487511990982_resized.jpg

20170219_084339_1487511992512_resized.jpg

• Like 1
terro20013

lone brf cake

So this lone fella looks pretty good to me, and making me wish I hade done the rest of the jars.. it does however have 3cc's or b+. I was certain that it was going to fail. If it fully colonizes, how should I fruit it? id hate to set up the 60 qt. shotgun chamber, I will if I have to . is there another way to fruit it?

20170223_204606_resized.jpg

20170223_204613_resized.jpg

20170223_204623_resized.jpg

terro20013

You know what mush, the more I think about it, the more I think I should just set up the 60 qt sgfc, if for nothing else, to see if I built it correctly. . As always, you guys rock!!

Perlite isn't terribly expensive. .

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
Mush Zombie

found this welcome thread with 148 replies. incredible. kind of seems like it should have been in grow logs. I suppose the welcome forum always has doubled as a noob grow log kiddie skating rink

to be moved to welcome forum archives.

• Like 1