• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Wondrous.Journey

Casing Bins

Wondrous.Journey    84
Wondrous.Journey

Hello. I'm following the bulk tek by MZ. I've done everything exactly, and been successful thus far.  I've done WBS jars, and transferred to what will be Ztubs. They're on day 9 in incubator for spawning. They are 100% colonized. They're ready to be cased and put in fruiting conditions! So today I was prepping the 50/50+ casing. It calls for peat moss, vermiculite, lime and oyster shells. I have everything and mixed up 3 batches. In the process I smelled ammonia (I thought it was maybe just the lime) I started looking on here and now freaking out about my casing choice! I've PCd it but haven't cased. I have miracle grow peat moss (which appears to contain trace fertilizers.) after reading, some seem to say this caseing tams easily, and messes everything up! But MZ (the gentleman who wrote this tek) says somewhere that miracle grow is what he alway used.  Sooooo my question is what do I do!!!!?! Use this casing? Use another (simple) casing? I just don't wanna mess anything up now!!  I'm too excited for pins! 

What do y'all use for casing? 

moxieshroom    509
moxieshroom

I've always used just plain ol verm. Baked at 250 for an hr cooled and spread on even about 1/4 inch.

Of course there are others out there that use different casings.  MZ is a good man. He wont steer you wrong

• Like 1

Wondrous.Journey    84
Wondrous.Journey

I think I'm gonna try to look for some plain ole peat moss tomorrow, one that's not miracle grow. I've followed the tek exsctly up until this point, and its been great... kinda hate to steer too far away from it now!  I'd love to hear someone with some input on this casing and if it worked well for them.

• Like 1