• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sign in to follow this  
Gemini42

Help Needed, WBS method suddenly not working

Gemini42

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting but I have been watching these forums for the last year. Never wanted to complain about an issue but I am having such a hard time getting info by browsing and googling, I figure I just go right to the source. My project has been going well since June. Soak 12 hour,Rinse cold water, simmer briefly (until I see first signs of bubbles), Stand for 1 hour to dry and steam. I make Tyvek lid jars with a self healing port and I fill the jars 3/4 from the top. PC for 1.5 hours at 15psi, sit overnight. Next day commence Inoculation. Bleach bomb, lysol and inoc. This has worked all fall no contams, no hang up. Now all the sudden with these new Syringes and new WBS I have not had any signs of Mycelium after 10-15 days of inoculation. I have done 12 Jars, each one with a different syringe.

My questions. If you can help ease my heart thank you

- Can WBS thats not hydrated enough due to 12 hour cold soak prevent mycelium and contams from forming altogether?

- If the Spores are dead is there a way to check? Are there clear signs to determine the difference between dead spores and Poorly prepared WBS?

- Some of the WBS jars look dry 1 day after Inoculation. Can this prevent colonization?

- Is it common to have great success with one TEK and then out of noware have no success using same tek. the only difference being the season.

It was my first attempt at mono-tubs in fall and I had 100% success rate with my own altered DOC WBS TEK and Damien 50/50 tek. So im so confused that now I cant cultivate any mycelium. Like I said the only variables to have changed was the season, syringes and WBS. Same brand just new bag

Thank you again

Gemini42
10 hours ago, magicman said:

Sounds to me like as soon as you used new syringes from a new source you started having colonization issues. If it was not a reputable spore vendor, that would certainly make sense. Or there are just a very small amount of spores in the syringe, if it is clean in the 1st place.

Like Void said it could also be your temps. If you have an inc it shouldn't matter, however I think 77-78 is the temp to shoot for for incubation.

If your seed id dry, you will also have colonization issues. Squeeze several kernals of your grain to make sure it is fully hydrated before jarring up ant PC'ing.

The only thing you can do now is wait and see if anything grows in your jars. If you want a clean GT print and want to make your own dark syringe, PM me a shipping address and I'll send you a free print.

Oh ya, hello, and welcome to 'Ology!!

Thank you. I am still learning this website and especially my craft. My temps are good I have them in a incubation tub with a closet heater to keep it between 77 and 84 rarely gets to high 80s it worked for the last 16 jars I did in the fall. 

I checked this morning and my P.E jars (all P.E) one of them started finally after 1 week. Makes me think the last 12 i tossed I may have tossed to early. I do think my seeds did not hydrate because they don't look full. But I also could be paranoid and seeing what I want to see. 

So do you think when its cold,the 12 hour soak is not long enough? Is that why they take so long to germinate? 

Also one more thing of you can help. Is there a safer way to simmer? Right now I just put the soaked seeds in a pot. Double the water and put on high. I wait till the first signs of bubbles show and immediately take off to steam for 1 hour. Recently I been having busted seeds. Is there a safer way yo simmer? 

Thank you magicman I will pm you once I get to my computer. I would really appreciate a print. If you wouldn't mind linking me to a safe syringe tek I would appreciate that. You guys rock man. So fast and so aware and conscious. Love it. 

I take it personal when I feel like I failed at my project.. But learning nonetheless. 

• Like 2

Gemini42

If you don't hydrate properly can that cause slow or no germination at all if using viable spores? In the summer I feel like it was easier to keep them moist. Now the 12 hour soak seems to not be good enough. Thank you so much sir.

• Like 1

Don_Shadow

Magic Man is on the money. Sounds like poor quality syringes and too high incubation temps. Keep your temps at 77-78, never higher than 80 IMO. Also, I recommend soaking in boiled filtered (or reverse osmosis) water in a sealed bucket for 1.5 to 2 hours, followed by an all-night drain in a large strainer. Mix grains very well before loading into jars and PCing. This technique has proven successful time and time again with a variety of grains.

• Like 2

Gemini42
7 hours ago, Don_Shadow said:

Magic Man is on the money. Sounds like poor quality syringes and too high incubation temps. Keep your temps at 77-78, never higher than 80 IMO. Also, I recommend soaking in boiled filtered (or reverse osmosis) water in a sealed bucket for 1.5 to 2 hours, followed by an all-night drain in a large strainer. Mix grains very well before loading into jars and PCing. This technique has proven successful time and time again with a variety of grains.

I live in CA so I get my syringes from a friend not from direct from a vendor. Some syringes I got worked perfectly using my same tek. Got same kind of spores off same person and this series of spores seem to not work. So im still so confused where I screwed up. Maybe the spores are just weaker this time around. I have more coming soon and plan to do some LC for the first time to truly check for potency.

• Like 2

El_Piraña
On 2/8/2017 at 11:07 PM, Gemini42 said:

- If the Spores are dead is there a way to check? Are there clear signs to determine the difference between dead spores and Poorly prepared WBS?

You can test the spores on agar.  If you get growth, great! If not, then you'll know the spores were not viable and you won't have so many variables to factor in on the problem.  Once you have good growth on the agar, you would have many options to move forward w/ a known clean myc.

• Like 1

Thothatlantean

Hello my first post as well here! Hello community!

I would say your problem is definately moisture content. I cold soak for 24 hours minimum, boil 30 mins and then PC. I dont use WB but i use Grain so I'd think it would be similar!

My next guess would be like magicman said, no good spore source. FSRE is good source if u resupply them with prints. Really sad how that incredible resource has diminished over the years! 

But with mushroom going ive gotten where i am now by going with my gut. You think it's moisture, try that. See what happens! Then try new spores. I think you're on the right track with the moisture thing.

Cheers!

Any chance any of those GT prints are still available magicman? Too new to PM you I think, still learning my way around the forum, hope I haven't broken any rules my first post! :P

Edited by Thothatlantean