Welcome to Shroomology

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

tomentose

Bump while TEKing

18 posts in this topic

Ill go first then oi

Just finished readying some cakes for PC'ing, i love my PTFE jars, anbody else use these?IMG_20170421_054309.jpgIMG_20170421_054335.jpgAlso i sorted out my myc block, i cased with ph adjusted  50/50 peat/coco 1/2 inch deep , then put the tray in the SGFC.IIMG_20170421_054405.jpg

looks too wet, amiritre?

anyways, i was surpised not to see one of these threads here. if ya Just got done making/following a tek, why not snap a quick pic and write a few sentences on it?

Love it where you get those jars and what do they cost

2 hours ago, tomentose said:

i was surpised not to see one of these threads here.

What kind of Threads?There are alot of member threads with all types of grows. Check them out! Im sure youll find other Pf tek grow. Not sure what that thrid pic is. Looks like you were doing Cakes but then second pic is a cased tub? Looks like a mix of teks.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, tomentose said:

IMG_20170421_101136.jpg

Do you run your fan on a timer or just run it after you mist?

1 hour ago, RhythmAddict said:

Hey I like this!  Talking shop and sharing what's up.  I used my new positive pressure setup this morning to make spore and LC syringes.  I have morel, galindoi, and bisporus spore solution and Ajax LC.  I learned that LC is hard to suck up in an 18 gauge syringe.  Cube myc is like wet cotton I swear.  Also had some issues with prints getting flipped by the air flow and for some reason I get real warm once the gloves and surgical mask go on lol. 

IMG_20170421_114120.jpg

IMG_20170421_114110.jpg

Let me know how it works out. I'm a die hard SAB guy though. Well until I build a flow hood at least. Have a lot going on so that's down the road a ways. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RhythmAddict said:

Hey I like this!  Talking shop and sharing what's up.  I used my new positive pressure setup this morning to make spore and LC syringes.  I have morel, galindoi, and bisporus spore solution and Ajax LC.  I learned that LC is hard to suck up in an 18 gauge syringe.  Cube myc is like wet cotton I swear.  Also had some issues with prints getting flipped by the air flow and for some reason I get real warm once the gloves and surgical mask go on lol. 

IMG_20170421_114120.jpg

IMG_20170421_114110.jpg

Holy shit i understand the science but does that actually work better than a SAB? i was stupid and didnt wait long enough after i sterilized the inside of my SAB a before noccing up jars, i went to flame the needle, and fuckin~BOOM ~~ aparently the spray bottle i got from the plant nursery can mist REALLY REALLY fine, amd with great surface area comes great kablooey. Ended up burning off my eyelashes, my beard, all my arm hair( 2nd degree burns,i was wearing a t-shirt),caught my flannel pjs on fire, making it melt into my legs(2nd degree burns) caught my couch on fire and ruined my SAB. it was insane, ive seen my fair share of petrol and alkaline fires while doing kitch khemistry, it was hotter than both of them! this was a month ago, my arms are still red. this seems much safer!

48 minutes ago, WastedDaze said:

Do you run your fan on a timer or just run it after you mist?

Let me know how it works out. I'm a die hard SAB guy though. Well until I build a flow hood at least. Have a lot going on so that's down the road a ways. 

Fan runs 24/7, usually straight up and theres only a 3" gap so it doesnt generate much windshear or buffeting on the sub at all,  and it draws fresh air in through the bottom and sides. So low pressure high volume constant flow. i work from home, when they inevitably start to get dry i mist through a slighly larger hole in the SGFC

1 person likes this

oh i finished pc'ing my jars,IMG_20170421_150750.jpg

I use a inner layer of tinfoil in my pc because it seems to focus the boiling steam right up the core it condenses against the lid and capillaric action causes it to flow down the slighly cooler sides where it boils all over again. Less rocking of the pc in the end as well.IMG_20170421_151252.jpgAquarium thermometer, dollarama, 2$IMG_20170421_190548.jpg

As coir/peat dries out it lightens drmatically correct? so time to mist this?

IMG_20170421_190624.jpg

Yes I would mist. 

I would add another couple inches perlite to the SGFC if you can and I would get that fan out of there. The holes will provide the fresh air exchange it needs, all the fan will do is dry things out. 

Fanning serves no real purpose with SGFC , the only thing you need to do is keep up with misting. 

1 person likes this

I have a still air glove box too.  This positive pressure setup fits right inside that box for storage lol.  I'm finding advantages and issues with both setups.  

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Mushpunx said:

Yes I would mist. 

I would add another couple inches perlite to the SGFC if you can and I would get that fan out of there. The holes will provide the fresh air exchange it needs, all the fan will do is dry things out. 

Fanning serves no real purpose with SGFC , the only thing you need to do is keep up with misting. 

Isnt evaap off the substratre what causes pinning because the mycellium kicks into reproduction mode to fruit and get the spores out? The fan is also adding to the FAE and constant air being pulled from the SGFC decreases contams having a change to porpogate ( as opposed to air being pushed in, where it would add to the chance.

1 hour ago, tomentose said:

Isnt evaap off the substratre what causes pinning because the mycellium kicks into reproduction mode to fruit and get the spores out? The fan is also adding to the FAE and constant air being pulled from the SGFC decreases contams having a change to porpogate ( as opposed to air being pushed in, where it would add to the chance.

You are correct about evaporation off substrate being a pinning trigger, but A fan does not add to or provide FAE. FAE is passive, it happens thru the holes, and if you built the SGFC to spec, there is plenty of it.. The fan will only hinder performance. It will dry things out. As far as contams... When you spawned that substrate has already been exposed to contams... Its still being exposed right now. A clean substrate is resistant to environmental contams, its why we don't have to spawn in sterile conditions. If your sub contaminates it will most likely be due to hidden contamination in the spawn. 

People get confused about manual fanning because Teks used to call for it... But it accomplishes nothing that won't happen on its own in 5 minutes anyway. It doesn't provide any FAE. Neither do automatic fans 

@tomentose

He remebered he had some Synthetic FIlter discs (70mm size)  thats came in the mail after he quit growing and threw them my way. Am i wrong to think these are useless foranything besides grain spawn?

Filter discs are made for Büchner funnels. They just happen to work for mushroom production also.

On 4/22/2017 at 10:30 AM, MaiNiaK said:

@tomentose

He remebered he had some Synthetic FIlter discs (70mm size)  thats came in the mail after he quit growing and threw them my way. Am i wrong to think these are useless foranything besides grain spawn?

Filter discs are made for Büchner funnels. They just happen to work for mushroom production also.

Yes, i know, there used for making grain spawn. gonna try that next.
until then, im using them for added contam resistance on my cakesIMG_20170422_180354.jpg
colonization at 73 correct?
IMG_20170422_180331.jpg
2nd pinning(just bruising, chill :p)
IMG_20170423_024321.jpg

Made some Honey LC from a MS PESA syringe, wish me luck!
IMG_20170422_180520.jpg

1 person likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 5:41 AM, Mushpunx said:

You are correct about evaporation off substrate being a pinning trigger, but A fan does not add to or provide FAE. FAE is passive, it happens thru the holes, and if you built the SGFC to spec, there is plenty of it.. The fan will only hinder performance. It will dry things out. As far as contams... When you spawned that substrate has already been exposed to contams... Its still being exposed right now. A clean substrate is resistant to environmental contams, its why we don't have to spawn in sterile conditions. If your sub contaminates it will most likely be due to hidden contamination in the spawn. 

People get confused about manual fanning because Teks used to call for it... But it accomplishes nothing that won't happen on its own in 5 minutes anyway. It doesn't provide any FAE. Neither do automatic fans 

after a couple hours reading mz's post about FAE and thats its really easy to fan too much and get small fruits i can understand how people used to belive as much FAE as possible was good, thanks!~

7 hours ago, tomentose said:

after a couple hours reading mz's post about FAE and thats its really easy to fan too much and get small fruits i can understand how people used to belive as much FAE as possible was good, thanks!~

Fanning doesn't provide FAE. 

And the max FAE is good, for the mushrooms, just inconvenient for us- that's why we build fruiting chambers that sacrifice FAE for low maitinence

1 person likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 0:04 AM, RhythmAddict said:

I have a still air glove box too.  This positive pressure setup fits right inside that box for storage lol.  I'm finding advantages and issues with both setups.  

Explain please what are the different issues

The  Mycopoids didnt get me, fear not! Just a busy however long its been. Harvested first flush from blue tub, got 35G dry.

Started 16 grain jars with a burma print i was gratiously given on this very board,  i used a Filter disk under a mason jar lid and ring, 2 holes for gas exchange and injection throught the SFD. THey all lok beautful, will get pics when i can 

Have been intensly researching and networkiing for information on the cultivation of  Claviceps purpurea for the lysergic possibilities, it requires a fair number of isolating and cloning to agar the prolific strains, in order for it to be ecomically viable without a fungal bio-reactor. On that subject i have some freeze dried Live culture and spore slush falling to me from orbit.

whats new with you?