moon_walker

I like aaalll those ideas so I think I shall do all of the above!!! ill swoop up on some dowels over this next week and pc them beitches with maybe a bag or two of a chip/dust mix. ill look in on pasturizing wood with lime. Im pretty dam excited. what do you think about nocc'n up a sterilized sub bag with lc instead of nocc'n grain jars and mixing into bags after those guys are ready. I think ive seen bags with injection ports on some teks.

• Like 2
RhythmAddict

The dowels...I'm guessing untreated wood. Is that even a concern or are there certain ones that are ideal?

Sent from my Technics Turntables.

• Like 1
Awakened

Right on moon_walker!!

Like a true mycologist, you see things around you and build upon what others would throw away or burn.

Question, when you use the wood chipper, do you think that it will be like that scene from Joe Dirt where that old lady says?

"My husband used to beat me at night, so I pushed him into a wood chipper."

If this were to actually happen, do you think that the added person would give a good mixture of nutrients for the mycelium? :P

• Like 2
moon_walker

yeah I usually see the LM in bags not logs but what the hell why not try it out and just putem in an outdoor little greenhouse. deffinately gonna bag some up though. I think I might also order some shiitake lc for all this wood too. haven't actually grown medicinals to full fruit yet. to tell you the truth ive been finding it harder to fruit those than the active ones. I will win this battle tho nodoubt. :mellow:

• Like 1
RhythmAddict

Yes, finish playing with your wood and let us know what you discover! I found dowels on a myco supply site that I plan to use. I wonder how reishi will do in the Midwest

Sent from my Technics Turntables.

• Like 1
Those Who Were

@moon_walker I just recently had the  opportunity to attend a club meeting with a notable speaker who spoke extremely well of using a sandwich method of making logs for edibles. He said that using sawdust spawn in between two of the logs stacked end on end worked incredibly well. you can make a drilled out cavity in the logs where they will sandwich to pack more spawn into. then he also said that natural clay from your environment if accesable or just regular poters clay works much much better than wax for keeping the logs moist once fruiting time comes around you can take the clay off i believe. it was his opinion and experience that this sandwich method works far better than using plugs because even with wax, plugs tend to dry out and colonize slower.

• Like 2