Welcome to Shroomology

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hatchet.Gash

new here: to case or not to case, that is the question.

9 posts in this topic

Hello all! I've met a couple of you and really enjoy it here and hope to become an active part of the community. so here's my first question.. my tubs are in my grow tent with a heater, fan, and cold mist vape humidifier. with my rh and temp dialed in, and timers  running the show, do i really need to case my fully colonize sub?? in my research i have heard lots of controversy on this subject. I'm pretty set on just not doing it for this run but if you (anybody) can give a reasonable answer as to why its ABSOLUTELY necessary for yields or pinset or what ever then i am totally willing to listen. but to my knowledge so far, it's a pretty personal choice so i am really asking because this is my first teck other then some cakes i just flushed for the first time. thnx in advance and have a great day all.:)

2 hours ago, Hatchet.Gash said:

do i really need to case my fully colonize sub??

you don't -NEED- to but i think you should case it this first time, then try out not casing a different time. i always case personally, even though i don't have a need to fan or mist. i have done both side by side and i personally get a way better pinset on the tubs i cased, i also noticed the tubs i cased pinned a lot faster.

2 people like this

Hello and welcome! I agree with the others, you don't need a casing if you can keep the RH above 90%, but it does help. If you can case it is a good idea and will help get a better pinset and flushes.

2 people like this

Welcome aboard. I say case.

1 person likes this

Welcome don't have to case just bottom water. Yeilds the same for me either way. I like side pins sometimes some are mutations and spiral out love how they look but if your into this for dealing perfect looking top growing Shrooms I say case it properly with pastured stuff and ph correctly cause otherwise contam city can happen over night.

The most cost effective way to grow automated is grains cased with coir and Vern ph corrected and cooked get 15 qts of grain spawn per bucket tek . can't wait for your tub pictures I miss my grow 10 by 8 feet  grow tent. 

P.s. add advice standing water on tent floor lends to unkillable black mold after 8 months to a year. Clear your Martha once a month at least

17 hours ago, moxieshroom said:

Welcome aboard. I say case.

I too say case....always, for any bulk. And roll cakes in vermiculite.

But the occasional bag I've done, I don't case, but they never do real well whether I case them or not. So I don't bother .

Vermiculite does not count as a casing :lol: jk kind of