• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Tump    1,416
Tump

Recently like in the last month I build me a flow box out my big old still air box trting to reduce contamination.

So far I used it for 2 sets of jar g2g and 3 spore drops to plates and 4 clone transfers to plates. My g2g sets look good so far. But my plates look horrible like burst a gut on each plate while knocking them up. Except one looks clean. Why is this?

And should I go back to still air for cloning and transfers? 

Void425    231
Void425

Are you using a True Hepa filter for your flow?  Are you sure you got the calculations right on the blower needed to have the proper flow pressure?  Pictures of your flow system may help identify the problem.

• Like 1

Tump    1,416
Tump

This tek. 

20170502_012130.jpg

mushroom priestess    131
mushroom priestess

this is a silly question but... you made sure to sterilize everything before you worked in there, right? like void said, make sure it's a true hepa you're using as your filter

Void425    231
Void425

While that tek seems solid on paper, I do not see any real track record showing it works.  There is many little areas around the armholes and bottom of the table that can actually be drawing air into the chamber while it pushes are out in other areas.  Perhaps the blower on that fan is just a bit underpowered to actually get positive pressure all the way around.  These are just the issues with the build itself, not even going into possibilities of improper sterility of the environment and handling methods.  Not saying there is an issue with your technique, just not exploring that idea at this time.

I have seen a model where it uses a clear plastic bag as the container.  Using a flexible container you know the pressure is positive and the strength by the bag itself.  The bag also remove the counter gap completely since you only have the two armholes and connection to the fan/filter.

• Like 1

moxieshroom    499
moxieshroom

One I am contiplating making. Does your unit have multiple fan speeds?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/GermGuardian-3-in-1-True-HEPA-Air-Purifier-with-UV-Sanitizer-and-Odor-Reduction-9-in-Table-Top-Mini-Tower-AC4020/206872906

Im looking at something like this. This unit has 2 sizes to choose from. Both with multiple fan speeds.

Tump    1,416
Tump

Yep both hepa filter replaced and max force. I'm going to do the transfer with still air instead this weekend. Might be a air at bottom thing since g2g did perfectvandvthe plates not so much. 

Gemini42    43
Gemini42

Do you know a affordable flow hood you have worked with that is successful?

On 5/20/2017 at 2:16 PM, Mush Zombie said:

Personally dude, just build a real flowhood with a real HEPA filter that is rated 99.9% down to .02 microns. I promise all this will go away and you will be very happy that you did. 

There's a lot of reasons why this could be happening. So many that we could list them all and still not know which one it is. I know that doesn't answer your question. But my first paragraph is the answer, IMO.

• Like 1