It grows like crazy where i live. Can probably see 20 sassafras trees from where im standing. I dont see what the question is though.

Also the essential oil in it is a carcinogenic but i dont know the safe levels. I flavor moonshine with it.

• Like 2
Loneshroom

I too have a shit ton where I live... I'll have to do more research into it...was told to make teas and use the oils, even extract this and that.. Was just wondering really if anyone has worked with it before.

Fungi2b

You need a decent lab setup to put it to good use. Your prob only going accomplish making concentration for tea. (Use the skin on the roots) or bug repellent(oil from leaves)

• Like 2

Agree just do it. Worst thing that can happen is you get picthed by popo while do it. More likely you won't be able to it perfect and not have anything but wasted raw materials and knowledge for future. But on off chance you do it right you can take pride in it. 

Or boofin and make root beer

tomentose

Maybe.  Why don't you knock a few down, grind the roots down to sawdust, juice them and see.  I mean like, what the fuck are you waiting for? a green light to go for it?  A permission slip from ur moms?  A blessing from the pope?  Haleys comet?  A friggin sunbeam light to break through teh clouds on a rainy day that illuminates one of the trees while a booming voice proclaims 'Here thou shalt find the sacred oil which may be wackered and reductuvely aminated to yield the most desireable honey, from whose bounty thou shalt sing my praises'?

• Like 1
tomentose

The general consensus is that 6%-9% of root bark (I am assuming by weight here...correct if wrong) is sassafras oil. So, if you have 1 lb of bark, that 16 oz. There are 28 g per ounce, so there are 448 g in a pound. 6%-9% of that is 26.88 - 40.32 g of sassafras oil. Depending on the tree you got the bark from, the safrole content in that oil will be 80%-90%.... I always like to use conservative estimates, so we'll say your oil has 80% safrole. 80% of 26.88 - 40.32 g is 21.50 - 32.27 g of safrole per pound of root bark.
You also must factor in the freshness of the root bark, because the fresher the bark, the more oil you will get out of it. I remember reading a post (can't remember by who, sorry) but they said that they only got 1 g of safrole from steam distillation of 1 kg (yes, that's KG) of old root bark.
So, to answer your question, you will need 8 - 9 pounds of fresh root bark to run a Dr. Drool synth.
An alternative to this would be buying live sassafras trees from a nursery or a certain popular auction site (there are a bunch of trees for auction at this very moment...and they are cheap)... or go into nature and find your own damn trees and cut them down. It's actually a fun thing to do, plus you learn to name a whole bunch of trees.
Eventually, you can get cocky with your friends and tell them that you bet them $100 that you can make mdma from a tree. They will of course take the bet, and you will win a $100. Of course, if you are stupid enough to tell your friends about your batcave activity, you will also probably win yourself a 20 year vacation to the new Bally's Resort on an "island" named Clink.

quarter pound=113 g root bark *0.06 =6,78 g oil *0.8 =5,42 g safrole. If you do the HI+MaNH2 on your safrole , you can get a few grams of MDMA (take into account the losses).

• Like 1
tomentose

this one is a copy/paste from blacklight just a idea of the work needed.

The Journey Begin's - Steam Distillation of Sassafras Root
20 pounds of freshly dug up sassafras root was acquired and cut to uniformed sized segments. The root segments were then transferred to a zip lock plastic bag and placed in the freezer for 24 hours to burst the plants cells. The roots were then soaked and agitated in cold water for several minutes to loosen clinging dirt and defrost the root.  The roots were then sprayed with running water through a high pressure nozzle until the run off appeared to have removed the bulk of the dirt. 
The roots were transferred to a 56 quart tote where the exterior root bark flesh was shaved into long strips with a potato peeler or knife.  Larger roots were shaved down to the “hard wood” center of the root.  Smaller roots where completely cut-up/shredded. The sassafras root strips were cut to 1’inch length segments using scissor.  After shaving the roots, they were loaded into a 2-Liter Chromatography flask and setup for steam distillation.
Heat was added and after the apparatus reached equilibrium, the hydrosol came over milky white and the sassafras oil began to accumulate quickly at the bottom of the oil trap.   The 2-Liter boiling flask required an additional 2 quarts of water every 3-4 hours and was run for 10-12 hours.  It took 5 separate runs to steam distill all the root bark. The bark shavings from 20lb of fresh sassafras root yielded approximately 320ml. (His beakers literally say “estimate” on them)
Tom would like everyone to know what this process is effective for obtaining a pure starting substance but is a giant pain in the ass.

Tom's Fractional Distillation of Sassafras Oil at Atmospheric Pressure
•   320ml of steam distilled sassafras oil was placed in a 500 ml RBF in aluminum bowl/sand bath over a hot plate w/magnetic stirring.
•   Setup for fractional distillation: greased joints, insulating with tin foil, ice water cooling.
•   Had a +260C thermo in the condenser and in the boiling flask solution.
•   Over the period of about 2-3 hours, slowly increased the temperature to 230C.
•   Placed a beaker under the receiving nozzle to collect all the fore run.
•   Near 225C, remove beaker and inserted a receiving flask to collect the main fraction
•   Collected the fraction 230-240.  Yield approximately 260ml. Approximately 80% yield.

~This was Tom's first distillation over 120C and he was sure he ended up over heating the boiling flask solution at the end. Those sand bath's are easy to over shoot and slow to reduce temp. Now that Tom knew the bulk of his oil was safrole, he wanted to test his vacuum. Plus it wouldn't hurt to purify the safrole further.  The next day he placed the 260ml 1x fractionally distilled safrole into a 500ml RBF and setup for fractional distillation same as before.  The safrole was heated to approximately 70C and then Tom turned on his 6CFM 2stage oil pump and continued to raise the heat.  When the boiling solution temp rose to about 115CC when the first fore run distillate came over around 85C. The distilling thermometer quickly rose to 92C, distillation stopped and the fore run was discarded. A new receiving flask was attached and the vacuum/distillation continued. Under Tom's vacuum he collected a fraction between 92C-98C, the bulk of the oil coming over at 94-96C. The boiling flask solution held steady at around 118C until there was a very small amount of brown oil left in the boiling flask.

Yielded 240ml 2x distilled safrole. BP of 10ml saforle was tested, thermo diode .5cm above liquid surface. Oil boiled 232-233 (Tom lives at a higher altitude) - Instead of letting the oil cool down on the hot plate, Tom attempted to move it and the oil spilled on his hand.  Not only did he lose 10ml of safrole but also the outer skin layer off two of his fingers  :o  (Don't worry it healed nicely"

Tom left the safrole in the freezer for a few days but no crystal ever formed despite attempts to scrape the inside of the beaker with a glass rod. This gave him pause because he believed his product to still be impure. Smell was as described, very bitter taste.  Oh well, no stopping now lets see what Tom did next.

Tom's Isomerization of Safrole to Isosafrole
•   Set-up for a fractional vacuum distillation in an oil bath with magnetic stirring.
•   Added about 230ml of 2x fractionally distilled safrole to 500ml RBF (254g)
•   Added 2% by weight of %90 KOH flakes to RBF (5grams)
•   Applied a weak vacuum (3CFM 1 stage) and began heating.
•   Slowly heated safrole solution to about 110-120C under weak vacuum over an hour.
•   Removed the vacuum and heated solution to around 170-160C and stabilized.
•   Tom went to bed and allowed the solution to stir at temp for an additional 10-12 hours. 
•   Woke up, turned off heat and allowed  apparatus to cool below to <90C.
•   Attached Strong Vacuum and distilled isosafrole.
•   There was a small fore run of safrole, about 15-20 drops, and then Tom began collecting his main fraction of 102C-110C, the bulk of the fraction coming over between 104-108.  254g 2x fractional distilled safrole yielded 242.6g. Tom Heated flask to dryness (accidentally) but said it was easy to clean with water.  A 10ml sample was used to perfromed the BP test Confirmed 253-254C, held thermometer diode directly above liquid surface to measure vapor temperature.  Hell Yea! 

I fucking love chemistry wooooo

• Like 1
Loneshroom
31 minutes ago, tomentose said:

this one is a copy/paste from blacklight just a idea of the work needed.

Hey man thanks..I was really just curious if anyone has messed it.. I have shit ton of them here... Like have a few acres that I'm clearing, selling off all the hickory and oak as fire wood, there a few big ass walnuts that I'll be saving for a good wood working kind of day, but then the rest is mostly sassafras... Thank you guys for the input!

• Like 2
Fungi2b
1 hour ago, tomentose said:

Meeeeeeee tooooooo

tomentose

Can make MDMA and Non Racemic M-amp and various other isolates, but i couldnt pass highschool chem:P

oh thats right it was BECAUSE OUR CHEM TEACHER DIDINT DO LABS SHE MADE UP JUST DO WRITEUPS BASED ON WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE HAPPEND.

she was afraid someone would start a fire, fucking ridiculous

• Like 2
Fungi2b

I didn't really get my learn on till after high school but I was making "wax" way back in 99 in the Chem lab.

• Like 1
Fungi2b

Iv done the shake and bake thing a few times (I don't personally do Meth) It was just to see if I could, u know in case anyone ever said "hey I'm broke but I got 500 box's of cold medicine laying around" then I could say "well I have a idea"

• Like 1
tomentose

giphy.gif.7f969cc1ec35d57afcbf8727c4da8bb4.gif

• Like 1