• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Tump    1,722
Tump

Yes myc eats the dye. Bacteria looks oily and water on top. I'm not up.tom respound to rest of it

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

What about a "silver sheen" growing ahead of the myc? Is this myc or tam? I can't get a pic no matter what I try.

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

I know I should just scrap everything and start over.  I know if I fail that I'm just gonna prolong my misery. And I also know that failing is pretty much my m.o.

Buuuttt......I'm hard headed if nothing else.

So Iv got a surviving tamp agar that ain't looking so hot anymore. It has what looks like "stones" growing on the agar itself, and the agar has gotten all lumpy looking. What I'm gonna try to do is attempt to trans what I think are stones to new agar to see if I can save my only tamp agar I got left. (Besides the o.g sample in the fridge;)). And also do a myc trans.

IMAG1055.jpg.26da878d338ad1ff3234aa72e4e0311e.jpglooks kinda gross but at noon, 3, 6 and 10:30ish. Are little lumps that look like tiny stones so I transd them to a new jar.

IMAG1056.jpg.20f15a182c2e6b5505874cc1dfccaafc.jpgso I will see what happens.  I also scraped off some myc and transd it to a new jar.

I'll be trying to work with what agar I have left. And will keep tabs on those here.

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

Welp that all went to shit  pretty fast so plan "b".

Using my "suffocation chamber" I'm going to have to go back and use a chunk of back up tamp agar if I want to have more than just one jar of it anyhow, and I do.  It's that or open the one good jar and do transfers I'd rather not do that I want to let that jar sit and develop a nice "stone set". 

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

The Alacab project from the start of this thread has a survivor still it's called ala-2-a IMAG0021.jpg.86c98b29aca3585b5682cb03ae902741.jpgstarting to look kinda freaky lol.

I selected the 2 best areas and transd to agar again in hopes Iv got it isolated then we added some to grain jars to grow out.

Not as nice as @OpenBar .......yet.

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

Things are looking cleaner but it's been non stop agar trans/making new agar jars. Only the strong survived so mother nature really trimmed down the work load I had set up for myself. Before all the mess of October I started Ajax only one jar looked good to me so I pitched the rest and spawned the good one. I took a few samples and put to agar picked the best and did it again, this is a  result of that work.  1510285122392542522899.jpg.64b3f8297a8dfea941b22beefbff1dd6.jpgand one in a l.c 1510286026292470165836.jpg.0eb513f27fe10c463870dfaa716587f5.jpg

They all recovered overnight basically and show starts of rizo growth now.  I'm gonna put the best one to l.c for a master then one to a new agar In the fridge, the rest put to grain to compare to the tub I spawned already.

Another sample to make it was a few alacabenzi clones. 

1)15102858793742000258968.thumb.jpg.0c38d7f2940caebe895d3f321a84a724.jpg 2)15102859325181064860243.jpg.9c245191ace604bcd2fcf25cabc36442.jpg and a very poor 3)15102859666221636430876.thumb.jpg.cb7649129a3ef260d74dfc814e767705.jpgit's a no go.

They were made 10/25 from the tub that made it from the original s.o.s sample. They came from a real nice cluster of med sized fruit they were part of the first wave of pins so I hope that speeds them up a few days.

Same as with Ajax I'm gonna put the best to l.c and agar for storage then the rest to grain to see how they look.

• Like 2

Niidaho    2,470
Niidaho

As u def see agar can be a pain u can burn a lot of jars sectoring .and u don't know what u have till u fruit it .i put spores to agar 1 u know if it's clean 2 u need very little spores then I use wedges from that to grain fruit that out then clone .it cuts the work wayyyy down .i nearly went mad when I started trying to sector multi strains lol. I like Uncolored agar for sector work makes it easier to see when held up toa light .hope some of this helps good luck 

• Like 2

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

Im Starting to see a use for undyed agar now since you said that. The myc will break the dye down but it takes a Lil while, if it's fast it's Tammy Iv noticed. Iv done a few spore to agar but it didn't go well and it's all gone now. I plan on trying  it again when I start a new strain (t-1 prob).  Iv been using samples that "isolate" themselves by growing away from the main body, it's a good jump off point as long as they fruit lol.

• Like 1

Tump    1,722
Tump

Good show

• Like 2

Niidaho    2,470
Niidaho

What u are doing is great u just have way more patients then I do . I lov the ideal of sectoring maybe when I settle down with one pet strain but I love growing new strains .thinking of doing prints as art  might be cool.

• Like 2

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

Yeah I think you and I think about it just a Lil bit differently. To me they are all my "pets".  I love doing new ones and collecting more. In my mind I'm just "refining" each strain to my personal liking, then storing that in l.c and agar to make grows and prints from later.  It's very time consuming lol and a real heartbreak when you lose a bunch but I learned to not keep so many strains on agar at once and focus on just 1 or 2 strains at a time. That keeps it manageable and also helps me remember what in trying to do cause I keep horrible noted. (My grow logs are my notes). 

I may be weird but there is something bitter sweet about dumping a old l.c to exchange it for one Iv messed with.

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

The prints as art is cool I was in cub scouts when I was Lil and made prints and made a shadow box kinda for my mom she still has it lol 

• Like 1

El_Piraña    2,038
El_Piraña

Love seeing all the agar work, good job @Fungi2b. I find it very rewarding.

you mentioned having trouble germinating spores on agar. What's your agar recipe? I read once (not on ology, so not sure about reliability of source) that spores germinate better/worse depending on what is in the agar. I believe potato dextrose is worse, and of course that was the first I ever made and could not get spores to germinate....maybe just a coincidence.  I cloned a couple shrooms no problem with same recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

It's a pda  pre mix agar with a seaweed base. And I'm still having issues getting spores to germinate now I mess with my stuff alot as you guys see so Iv added all kinds of stuff to agar with mixed results. And still have a issue with spores. But things Iv added that have helped in general have been coffee , lime, and keflex.

Do you use mya to germinate?

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

IMAG0055.jpg.0316e1b01f29ee5bd42df3bfb0cf9524.jpg4 new happy little tamp mycs about a week short of going into their own plates. I'd like to do that "shit show"idea still, but with winter about here already I don't think I can ship the agar. Anyone have any ideas? My back up would be if by the grace of the gods I can fruit a tray and get prints out to interested parties.

IMAG0052.jpg.4cea045540a6b658ab70f91e9451c21a.jpgthat jar that had 3 spots of Ajax in it. I missed a few tiny spots when I scooped out the other 2 and it recovered and is growing back already. That's some strong stuff, mush love to the donor of the og sample. This has been a very easy strain to work with, it was already very isolated it seems.

• Like 2

Niidaho    2,470
Niidaho

Nice looks clean the Ajax is very uniform in growth .u could send myc in a insulated box are with a hAnd warmer but they would be a little pricy .better to see if u can fruit are spring .I'm betting u can do it.

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

Iv got a jar I could try try to fruit now if I wanted, but it has nice stones. 

• Like 1

Niidaho    2,470
Niidaho

U can wait till u are happy with the stones then harvest them and use the leftover grain as spawn .decisions decisions lol .are use your agar to start another spawn jar .u have lots of options now u have them on agar.

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,578
Fungi2b

I wanted to get some out there for ppl to try to fruit with me.:unsure:. Iv got the box, the air pumps, reptile fogger and some perlite. I need computer fans and some high quality timers. I'd like to build a auto box that way if I get all depressed again for a week they still have a chance. I am super excited to try my first stone tho.... 

• Like 1

Light Bulb    13
Light Bulb

Gratz man.

Fungi man are very interesting. Isolating a strain on a plate is the depth Myxology for me.  Nothing can get more advanced than that.  Please keep posting your work so I can learn too.  I love the way the mycelium develops in such a pattern only a snowflake could replicate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Niidaho    2,470
Niidaho

I got a timer from amozon not digital but u can set for 5 to an hour and set the time u want it on in tens and it was pretty reasonable il have to get the name for u..but u could prob get away with just the air pumps and perlite .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

El_Piraña    2,038
El_Piraña
54 minutes ago, Niidaho said:

I got a timer from amozon not digital but u can set for 5 to an hour and set the time u want it on in tens and it was pretty reasonable il have to get the name for u..but u could prob get away with just the air pumps and perlite .

This is the timer I got off Amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074W4N8P3/ref=mp_s_a_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1510618866&sr=8-41&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ac+timer+switch

it works really well ans was very easy to setup. I plan to buy a second one.

1 hour ago, Fungi2b said:

Most ppl seem to wait till they get a grow to start ISO work, I didn't ask why but assume it's to see what kinda fruit they get.  but as usual I did my own thing.

It seems to make the most sense to either use agar simply to germinate spores to ensure clean & viable growth OR to clone and do isolations from the clone.

when you germinate spores on agar, you have to transfer a few times before you can even start picking out individual sectors.  And even after all the work you still don't know if it will fruit until you try to grow it out.  If you at least start from a clone, there will only be a few sectors to begin with and will more likely fruit.  Once you get the cloned growth in fruiting again, pick the fruit that fits the characteristics you desire and spore print it. Then do it all over again several more times: clone-spore print-clone-spore print etc. 

BTW I'm no expert, just tried to learn a lot about this. If someone sees that I'm wrong in any of the details, please let me know cause I def want to know the right way and I hate all the misinformation out on the web, I don't wanna add to any confusion. 

Keep it up @Fungi2b I hope to be learning from your work!

• Like 2

Niidaho    2,470
Niidaho

That's what I do to @El_Piraña  .besides making sure u have a clean print they last forever .how many transfers do u do b4 going to LC ?barring seeing any indicators of contamination.i keep saying I'm going to get a good microscope but haven't got around to it.

• Like 1