• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b

@Niidaho was posting about using cardboard for agar work and I loved it.

Now I am always ripping up poster board and cardboard boxes to throw them away, like a full bag a week about.

I'm wondering if I could save almost $5 a week in trash fees by shredding it up and adding it to my grows?

Maybe not in spawn jars but in my sub jars, it's got nutes and holds water, if it's corrugated then it won't pack as much.

I'm just spit balling here I'd like to recycle as much as my life as possible and if I could use up my trash for my grows that would make me happy.

Would cubes, pans and mex all grow on it? Or would it be something only wood lovers would like? I only guessing cubes would grow cause of nii cloning on it.

• Like 1

Niidaho    2,450
Niidaho

I haven't fruited cubes on it but if u supplement it I'm guessing u could ! I have done oyst on it with some coffee grounds and had the biggest flush to date just stuffed a trash bag with layers of wet cardboard coffee and spawn .but I could only get one flush because of moisture retention. def worth trying Imo 

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b

This is what I did, made my typical coir and Cmc sub mix set it aside took a cardboard shipping box that 2 new tabs came in today. once I cut up it was 3 qt I took some grain soak water and soaked the cardboard and drained it I mixed it into my sub it stretched my 7 jars into 10. Even if it don't make a lick of difference in the grow I'm happy to just "bulk out" my sub recipe gaining a free run for every 2 runs I do.  I don't think it will retain water for long but I'm thinking it will break down b4 I need to worry about it. Most of my tubs don't make it past the 2nd flush anyhow and with proper misting I don't think it will matter much. If I could do this on a larger scale by soaking the cardboard in poo water and using 50%-70% cardboard, that would stretch all my sub materials out for much longer. I wonder what the nute lvl of coir vs poo water soaked cardboard is. Not that any of this stuff cost alot but Iv got free cardboard box's for days.

• Like 1

magicman    5,124
magicman

That would be interesting if soaking shredded cardboard in grain or poo water would work well. I know it would work great with oysters for sure, like Nii said. I'm excited to see your results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b

Thanks for the support, I don't think it will help a grow per say, but if it don't hinder the grow then I'd be on to something super cheap as a sub bulking agent. It would kick serious ass if one could take a typical sub  mix and 50/50 it with prepped cardboard. Effectively cutting sub cost in half, and getting some of us through winter till the stores get supplies in the spring.

Mushinist    2,344
Mushinist
14 hours ago, Niidaho said:

I haven't fruited cubes on it but if u supplement it I'm guessing u could ! I have done oyst on it with some coffee grounds and had the biggest flush to date just stuffed a trash bag with layers of wet cardboard coffee and spawn .but I could only get one flush because of moisture retention. def worth trying Imo 

I'll definitely be employing your cardboard squares this spring to infect some trees as I trek through the woods.

As for growing in trash bags, I'd love to see some pics of this, and since I don't drink coffee would straw be a good substitute, maybe do a write up of that as well.

And fungi I look forward to seeing how your experiment goes!

• Like 1

Tump    1,646
Tump

I've seen cubes grow on pure cardboard still best to make cardboard pf cakes. Hell my favorite picture is cubes growing out of a bible on some hot chicks ass under a Christmas tree

GRayt_ray    370
GRayt_ray

I’ve seen a picture that a tub was cased with money and it grew through the money

Niidaho    2,450
Niidaho
3 hours ago, Mushinist said:

I'll definitely be employing your cardboard squares this spring to infect some trees as I trek through the woods.

As for growing in trash bags, I'd love to see some pics of this, and since I don't drink coffee would straw be a good substitute, maybe do a write up of that as well.

And fungi I look forward to seeing how your experiment goes!

I'm doing some oyst spawn now il do one just to show everyone I posted it here but a lot of my stuff didn't make it to the new server and I can't find the pics .u can go to any of the coffee shops and they will give u all the grounds u want for free .the last place gave me a whole trash bag full.but I bet straw would work great .

I don't think u will have moist probs @Fungi2b  since it won't be the only ingredient in your mix .now u have me wondering if my wife's paper shredder will handle cardboard lmao.

• Like 2

Dr. Trip    181
Dr. Trip

yeah fungi keep us updated on this. I also have a ridiculous amount of cardboard that I could use. I'm talking like 7 big ass boxes a week.

So now I'm wondering if it would work just straight shredded, or maybe cut into tiny 1x1 pieces? Idk, I still haven't had a decent grow yet so I cant be experimenting yet.

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b
7 hours ago, Dr. Trip said:

yeah fungi keep us updated on this. I also have a ridiculous amount of cardboard that I could use. I'm talking like 7 big ass boxes a week.

So now I'm wondering if it would work just straight shredded, or maybe cut into tiny 1x1 pieces? Idk, I still haven't had a decent grow yet so I cant be experimenting yet.

I'll keep tabs on it and do a side by side comparison if all goes well. I wouldn't use it straight wet it.  While I'm doing this someone should try tiny chunks soaked in grain water mixed with grain spawn, or as a spawn. If they both work and work together that would save a lot of resources over winter.

13 hours ago, Niidaho said:

I'm doing some oyst spawn now il do one just to show everyone I posted it here but a lot of my stuff didn't make it to the new server and I can't find the pics .u can go to any of the coffee shops and they will give u all the grounds u want for free .the last place gave me a whole trash bag full.but I bet straw would work great .

I don't think u will have moist probs @Fungi2b  since it won't be the only ingredient in your mix .now u have me wondering if my wife's paper shredder will handle cardboard lmao.

Prob not but I bet it will handle food box's like cearel box's and such.

And it's added to cmc and coir so I also think I'll have enough water.  The corrugated cardboard will allow air pockets in the sub keeping it fluffy as it shrinks. It will also make lil tubes for the myc to travel through un impeded (tam also tho), maybe speeding up the sub run.

Brody    140
Brody
17 hours ago, Niidaho said:

If it can shred credit cards and CDs, or do 10+ sheets at a time, it’ll should have no problem with cardboard. 

• Like 2

Tump    1,646
Tump

Cubes will grow out and fruit on pure cardboard. I found one of two threads I was looking for. This is pure cardboard. But I've grown in a pure cardboard mono tub very small yeild. But yes make cardboard and bran cakes for great yields.

783362842-a2.jpg

783363227-a3.jpg

• Like 2

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b
23 hours ago, Brody said:

If it can shred credit cards and CDs, or do 10+ sheets at a time, it’ll should have no problem with cardboard. 

That's a good point man, I don't own one so I wasn't sure if it would chop it up or not.

20 hours ago, Tump said:

Cubes will grow out and fruit on pure cardboard. I found one of two threads I was looking for. This is pure cardboard. But I've grown in a pure cardboard mono tub very small yeild. But yes make cardboard and bran cakes for great yields.

783362842-a2.jpg

783363227-a3.jpg

Thanks for digging those up @Tumpis it just cased with cardboard or is the sub also cardboard? Did they start it on wbs? Do you have a link to the site it came from? I'd like to read it. If they will grow on just straight crdbrd then soaking it in poo water or grain water should improve the first flush at least I would think. Using straight crdbrd would be cool but that's not the direction I'd like to go. I think if prepped by soaking with grain water and just mixed into a person's favorite sub mix, that it would make a decent "bulking agent" to be used to stretch out a person's materials, making your grow just a Lil bit cheaper. And your always talking about cost of grow vs. Total fruit and all that. I got 21 sub jars out of 14 jars worth of material when I added it. So that's a free runs worth of sub for the cost of 2. As I said before, even if it don't improve the grow at all, as long as it don't hinder the grow I'll be happy as a mush in shit.  Materials are already hard to find locally already. So I want to stretch them out as far as possible till spring.                                                                    

Tump    1,646
Tump

Those pictures came form a man that 4 year ish years ago that tryed to clone some stem butts of cubes on cardboard in open air. He left for two weeks and bam pins and full colonized trays of cardboard. My mono tub of cardboard with horrible yields which i could find the pictures to started as a way to expand myc and I did so bucket to bucket but once I had 3 gallon buckets of carboard colonized I layered with coir did super horrible. But I agree grain water soak cardboard sterile in big jars might yeild great. 

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b

While I'm goofing around waiting for grain jars to finish I dumped a jar of it into a tub and just put a z-tub lid on it. It grew cob web in 4 days.  There was nothing competing with it so something had to grow at some point. I just hope it's not a hint at what's to come.

• Like 1