• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

swayambhu

Freezing

swayambhu    53
swayambhu

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I have searched, but have not found a useful answer to this question;

Is freezing fresh mushrooms deleterious to their alkaloid content?

If so, can you explain why?

I have read that contact with the water content of the mushroom will oxidise the alkaloids more readily than will air in contaxt with dried mushrooms.

Is this true? Because equally I have read of mushroom tea being freezable without effect to alkaloid content.

I understand freezing them will turn them to mush. I don't care. Freezing some mushrooms was a practical measure I was forced to take recently. Long story.

Many thanks

GRayt_ray    370
GRayt_ray

I head a bunch of older people saying stuff about freeze drying fresh mush. But I don’t understand how cause I’ve also heard it will just turn to a nasty mush when they thaw out

Tump    1,646
Tump

Freezing and freeze drying are two different thing. I know form when I use to have 20 lbs of dry Shrooms that if you are sure cracker dry that freezing helps prevents water crystal form reentering the fugus. Don't worry freezing is fine except inky caps.. I've frozen shiitake, mistake, blue oysters and kings to persevere then until I could get out to my market just fine

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b

My old man freezes cooking mush till he wants to use them. He also says it's one of the only foods you can't overcook.

• Like 1

Furthur    596
Furthur
21 hours ago, Tump said:

Freezing and freeze drying are two different thing. I know form when I use to have 20 lbs of dry Shrooms that if you are sure cracker dry that freezing helps prevents water crystal form reentering the fugus. Don't worry freezing is fine except inky caps.. I've frozen shiitake, mistake, blue oysters and kings to persevere then until I could get out to my market just fine

You didnt have any problems with the texture after defrosting?

I would imagine a slow slow defrost ??

Tump    1,646
Tump
24 minutes ago, Furthur said:

You didnt have any problems with the texture after defrosting?

I would imagine a slow slow defrost ??

Correct defrost in fridge selection. If you freeze correctly they don't ice up like you think they would. Most mushrooms are frozen and shipped instead of grow locally.

Furthur    596
Furthur
20 hours ago, Tump said:

Correct defrost in fridge selection. If you freeze correctly they don't ice up like you think they would. Most mushrooms are frozen and shipped instead of grow locally.

Thats wild! Never ever would i have thought mushrooms would be frozen and shipped around, dried, sure, the frozen blew my mind though. I guess im lucky to come from a mushroom producing state.

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b

R

1 hour ago, Furthur said:

Thats wild! Never ever would i have thought mushrooms would be frozen and shipped around, dried, sure, the frozen blew my mind though. I guess im lucky to come from a mushroom producing state.

Right, and Penn State has a whole trak pertaining to the cultivation of edible mush.

Furthur    596
Furthur
On 11/16/2017 at 5:48 AM, Fungi2b said:

R

Right, and Penn State has a whole trak pertaining to the cultivation of edible mush.

Do share

Fungi2b    1,474
Fungi2b

I'm not sure what to share lol. They have countless papers published on the cultivation of mushrooms.