• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Palpitation

Z-tub grow AL/Golden teacher

Tump

My friend this might be just be me but cleaning a tub to use as a grain soak seems like to much work. A normal size sink with a screen will hold 14 wet quarts of grains. If you need more then that laundry sinks hold 80 wet qts at a time. Getting on your hands and knees for this task is pointless. Even in harvesting trays on bottoms I left up to waist level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Palpitation
6 hours ago, Tump said:

A normal size sink with a screen

I will give this a try for the next round of jars and how much easier I find it (probably a lot more). Thank you for the suggestion, I was actually using the tub from someone elses suggestion before, so I am up for making things easier for me, lol. 

Fungi2b

5 gal bucket in the tub works great, just pour all the junk in the shitter and flush.

The sink with screen works good if the screen seals well and doesn't let seeds get under it. 

Using the 5 gal buckets makes it easy to do the soak after I rinse off all the "junk" the lids have rubber seals so I just dump in hot water and seal them up till the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Palpitation
1 minute ago, Fungi2b said:

5 gal bucket in the tub works great, just pour all the junk in the shitter and flush.

Maybe it was you that suggested it to me. I am too lazy to go back and read my whole log to find out, lol. But thats what I did, you can see the floaters in one pic and I used a 5 gallon bucket to scoop and dump. The muscles on the lower part of my spine have not fully reconnected after they had to be cut off so the tub being so low is the only thing that makes this "hard" for me to manage. The constant bending and lifting over the tub is too much for me rn though. 

5 minutes ago, Fungi2b said:

The sink with screen works good if the screen seals well and doesn't let seeds get under it.

Think I may make a custom screen that fits my sink that I can velcro down to create a temporary "seal" around the drain. Might not work how I think it will, but it just popped into my head suddenly and I have a roll of really good velcro somewhere around here, and I screened in my back porch last year and have extra screen to mess around with too, lol. I would not have had this idea without you two, thanks!

• Like 1

Fungi2b

I may have suggested the tub and bucket. But I don't dump them out in the tub, the grain stays in the bucket and I just dump off the "floaters". I didn't know you had a bad back I would not have suggested my method if I had known. The lifting of the bucket out if the tub and the twisting motion would be horrible on a bad lower spine.

Make a nice fitting screen for the sink man I think that would be a decent working height.

If velcro don't work out just line the whole sunk bottom with a chunk of screen

Palpitation
4 hours ago, Fungi2b said:

I may have suggested the tub and bucket. But I don't dump them out in the tub, the grain stays in the bucket and I just dump off the "floaters". I didn't know you had a bad back I would not have suggested my method if I had known. The lifting of the bucket out if the tub and the twisting motion would be horrible on a bad lower spine.

Make a nice fitting screen for the sink man I think that would be a decent working height.

If velcro don't work out just line the whole sunk bottom with a chunk of screen

It may not have been you, just someone had mentioned it. But yeah, going with this method for the next go round, lol

Tump

No worries man we always do this stuff starting out

• Like 1

Palpitation

Starting the cutting on my z tubs today, I am using a dremel with the metal cutting wheel (the one I had) and its working good. Have to use it on its high setting which sometimes flings melted plastic on my hand and face if I am not careful, the low setting doesnt melt it, but it bogs it down too much making it not worth the effort. 

Quick question, I have found a way to modify my 50 gal tit to be able to fit 14 6 qt (technically they are a little more than 6qt and wider than the cheaper walmart ones). Will having a couple of them directly stacked on other tubs be a problem when I incubate after mixing the sub? I could make it to where the air holes would not be covered, so I don't think it will be a problem but would like to make sure first. Thanks.

8116.jpeg

8117.jpeg

• Like 1

Fungi2b

You just need a lil g.a during the run. Covering those holes in micropore tape and taping your flat lids on should do the trick. I stack them up in my incu also, I just rotate them every few days so no one tub sits on the bottom for too long. Looking alot like my set up with that fancy rack system man, good twerk.:fluffy:

• Haha 1

Palpitation
1 minute ago, Fungi2b said:

Covering those holes in micropore tape and taping your flat lids on should do the trick

My wife has a bunch of polyfill sitting around and I was going to fill the holes with that. I can do some with just micro-pore tape and see which performs better under the conditions I will have it in.

• Like 2

Fungi2b

You don't use poly fill till you put your fruit lid on. The poly goes in the fruit lid holes and the substrate lvl holes after the run, not during.

You don't incubate them with fruiting lids on them.

Palpitation

I misunderstood what you originally were talking about. I plan to cover the the sub with aluminum foil then poking and covering holes with micro-pore tape just like I did before, and how the tek says. I thought you meant when I fruit them, thought it was strange, but now it makes more sense. 

• Like 1

Palpitation

Keep fucking forgetting to update this with the new info I have. I have growth in most jars (all but one that I checked, didnt feel like taking everything out and back in just to check all 17). I checked a total of 6 jars, 3 SoS alacabenzi jars and 3 O.V. Golden Teacher jars, all of the SoS jars had growth while only one of the 3 O.V. jars did not have growth. I have a total of 11 ala jars and 6 GT jars for now, going to let them go another couple days before I pull them all out to check growth rate. 

So, so far, SoS is winning in both ease of use and reliability. Not to say any of my non SoS jars will fail, just that SoS jars are doing BETTER.

Planning on going with choir/coffee sub again. But I also am thinking about doing a sub with horse poo/gypsum mix and see if there is any real difference and to see which I would rather work with. Probably the horse poo since those damn choir bricks are a bitch to cut, especially if you are dumb like my friend and stick your finger literally where you are cutting. She cut her finger so deep she severed a nerve, lol. Darwinism!

• Like 1

Fungi2b

Tell your "friend" to use a flat head screwdriver and set the block on its side and pry off layers. It comes apart like a block of slate rock.  I must keep missing where it says to use foil in z-tubs and dub tubs....I seen it in mono teks. Personally I've never used it in anything but a mono.

Palpitation

No need for "" if it was me I would own up to it. I am not a liar. (short of giving away my PII to strangers on the internet, sorry)

About 3/4 the way down the page on 6 quart dub tub tek, after mixing the colonized grain and sub. It says to cover in foil, poke four holes in the foil for a little air, has a picture of it as well. 

2 hours ago, Fungi2b said:

use a flat head screwdriver and set the block on its side and pry off layers.

And thank you, I will try this myself when I get the sub ready in a week or so. 

• Like 1

Fungi2b

Lol right on no more " "s. 

And your right it says foil in dubs in that tek. I kept looking for it in z tub write-ups. 

I've never used foil in either, I cut 4 holes in the flat lids and cover them in tape for the run. Then tape on the fruit lid and stuff em with poly after the run. 

Wonder if it makes any difference.

• Thanks 1

Palpitation

Interesting. Idk tbh about a difference, but the way I read it was that the foil was up against it to keep the co2 levels really high right up close. I would assume that those lids would still allow the same co2 buildup though. Just speculating though

• Like 1

Fungi2b

Do u use the flat lid over your foil?

Palpitation

No, just foil with 4 holes and micro-pore tape

post-1-0-67224200-1376436430.jpg just like this one shows

• Like 2

smalltimer2813

Here ya go friend, I live by this method it's been nothing but prosperous for me!!!

Brody

Couple of other options. I use a paint scraper and hammer to separate my coir bricks. Just another suggestion. 

When doing my sub run, I followed the oven tek austiclees did and just use the lid to the 6qt tub. No extra holes or taping it up. Haven’t had an issue with any of my tubs. Only three grows under my belt but this tek has worked great for me. And you can stack them no prob.

Palpitation
2 hours ago, smalltimer2813 said:

Here ya go friend, I live by this method it's been nothing but prosperous for me!!!

The one I am using actually.

Fungi2b

Well that tek says cover in foil also. But I'm pretty sure it's one that is supposed to have been updated. Also due to pics showing poly in the holes during the run but saying to cover them in micropore. Using the hard flat lids would make it a lot easier to stack them in your incu. Was it you asking about stacking tubs the other day? I don't remember.

Palpitation
9 hours ago, Fungi2b said:

Using the hard flat lids would make it a lot easier to stack them in your incu. Was it you asking about stacking tubs the other day? I don't remember.

Lol, now you sound like me! Had I not been the one to ask, and on this specific thread, I would probably have forgotten. But yeah, its what got us discussing the foil lids. 

Also due to pics showing poly in the holes during the run but saying to cover them in micropore.

For that part it just shows the z tub fully constructed with the poly fill in the holes, but it is saying to cover the holes in the foil with the micropore tape. It is showing that polyfill already in there but it doesnt really affect the gas exchange because in another of the pics, from above, it shows the foil shaped into a make-shift lid with holes in it, then just add the micro-pore over the holes in the foil. 

Well that tek says cover in foil also

Thats actually why I didnt even think to use the lids, both teks recommend covering it the same way, decided I would go with it. But I will definitely go with lids if I do have any issues. Especially since its a method you know works, as you use it. 

When I went back and looked at the pictures I realized that I put my holes in the wrong spots anyways, thankfully I hadnt cut them all yet.... I will use the ones I have cut and add a single hole, at the same level, on the sides of the tub (notice in my pics they are on the ends, not sides, I imagine this can cause issues with proper fae being distributed to the center of the tubs, as they are the farthest points from the holes. 

• Like 1