• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Palpitation

Z-tub grow AL/Golden teacher

Fungi2b

Yeah bro the flat lids are fine just tape them on with micro pore, plus they are reusable and stackable. I do 4 to 8 at a time depending on size.

Palpitation
1 minute ago, Fungi2b said:

flat lids are fine just tape them on with micro pore

Will do! Thanks again for the idea. I didnt get lids for all of my containers just because I didnt actually plan to use them. So when I do the runs I will do with lids and foil. This will also kind of let me compare to see if there is any real noticeable difference, my bet is that there isn't going to be a difference other than the lids making it easier, lol.

I will post a few pics soon of the jars progression since I nocced them. They are growing good! My SoS jars have more growth than my O.V. jars, but I think its just due to the sheer number of spores in a SoS syringe. The only thing I have found to be "better" with the O.V. is how quickly I received my order and the customer service. But to be fair, I made my order with SoS at a bad time for the vendor, as they were hospitalized after I placed it. 

• Like 2

Palpitation

Sorry I haven't had an update for a while, I am taking 5 classes right now and between that and the mushrooms I don't have a lot of free time if I want any sort of "social" life ("social" life = 3 friends, so ""). This week I got a lot of sub made, used most of it and have 9 tubs doing the spawn run. I also made a glove box so that I could go ahead and do a couple G2G transfers. So far everything is going great, I have only had one jar that never did anything (maybe I missed a jar when inoculating, idk). That jar was from the Other Vendor, but I do have one from SoS that is growing extremely slow. Slow enough in fact, that I am almost willing to throw some colonized grain in there with it to speed it up some. That jar may have been user error, but I cant be 100% sure as I have growth in it. Not sure what I could have done to it to make it so slow, or maybe it just happens that way sometimes. 

8699.jpeg

8701.jpeg

8703.jpeg

8704.jpeg

8706.jpeg

8700.jpeg

My next few project will involve some "permanent s.h.i.p." lids for the wide-mouth mason jars and starting a liquid culture. I already have the stir plate to keep the Lc going for that much longer (since it will be properly broken apart and stirred with the magnet) and I have the items to make the lids. Now it will just be trying to find time to make them while still doing grain prep, sub prep, case prep, ect.... Shouldn't really be a problem if I get my shit together and stop screwing around, lol. 

PS: as far as the glove box goes I am just going to use regular surgical gloves, non powder and non latex, and then use rubber bands to seal the tyvek sleeves. I attempted to follow a tek that used elbow length gloves that tape to the tyvek sleeves but I couldnt find a single pair of gloves that would work in my area. And I have 6 walmarts, a lowes, home depot, and harbor freight. Lowes also didnt stock the proper size spacers for a 4" closet flange so I just had to use a 4" piece of PVC as I could not get the 3" flange past mid forearm. It made the project much more difficult to accomplish with all the damn running around and subing out items for others..... anyways, next time I will make sure to prep when I have the time to do it, so it's no ones fault but my own! Hope you all are doing well and having your own successful grows!

• Like 1

Palpitation

Sorry I havent really kept on top of this one, I have been extremely busy with school and this hobby. I'm drowning in all this shit! lol. But anyways, I have gotten a grain transfer done of both the Golden Teacher from the O.V. and the Alacabenzi from SoS. Strangely, the golden teacher from the other vendor is having much better progress than the Al from source of spores, this surprised me as the opposite was true for the spore noc. So far I have 6 z-tubs moved into the fruiting stage. 

*Specific question: I am noticing that the first two tubs I put into fruiting started drying out on the inside within a day. I have had a humidifier running round the clock next to them after noticing this. But to my question; Should I see moisture in the top tubs the entire fruiting period? Or do the tops dry out fairly quickly due to the FAE and evaporation from the substrate? I am new to the Z-tubs and so I am not sure what to expect as normal.

And a few pictures:

8913.jpeg

8912.jpeg

8909.jpeg

8906.jpeg

• Like 2

Palpitation

Put 4 more tubs into fruiting conditions today. So, a total of 10 z tubs rn. The first 6 have some pretty decent growth on them, I hope to start seeing pins by this weekend, but I will have to wait and see. Got a couple more pictures to add. 

9038.jpeg

9039.jpeg

• Like 2

Palpitation

Ran into an issue, to say the least. Lost 7 tubs to contams very quickly. The humidifier was set up too close and was getting blown directly onto the lower shelf of tubs. I could see where the contamination started and see how it moved to the other tubs that it did get. I have 3 that where already growing mushrooms and they didn't get eaten up like the rest, so thankfully I didnt lose them all.

Its a whole different type of grow with z-tubs, and inexperience will definitely show in a grow like this. But, I am not letting this discourage me. Today is going to be a busy day of homework and prepping grain to noc more jars. I will also be modifying my z-tubs to only be partial set-and-forgets, I am going to make it where I open and fan them manually every other day or so. That way I can feel more comfortable knowing that they have enough water or not, and if they dont have enough fae, that issue will also be addressed. 

Ps: It may sound like I lost the tubs due to negligence, but believe me when I say I checked on them daily. The tubs on the shelf under my first 6 I would only give a glance though, as all I could really see was the casing layer on it... till I noticed a shiny green tint on the inside... I will upload a pic of the tam later today. Have to get to it rn though!   

Palpitation

Aaaaaaand......

9253.jpeg

You might say, "That much contamination is more than FAE, thats neglect!", and under different circumstances I would agree. But, as soon as I found the contaminants in the tubs I bagged them and removed them from my house BEFORE opening them. So this picture is about 24 hours later of it sitting in a black trash bag with a couple other infected tubs. After inspecting all 7 tubs without lids on, I found that one of them may have been okay to keep if I had not bagged it. But thats what I get for being to high to deal with it when I found it, lol. I didnt want to be upset over losing so much work, so i bagged them and said fuck it that day and watched a movie and decided to deal with it the following day. I am over it though. I am just happy I have 3 tubs left. With some decent mushrooms in them too! (for some reason I have mostly side pins in two of the 3 tubs, I would say this is also due to not enough FAE for the tubs closer to the humidifier, the only reason they didnt tam out though, is because the humidifier did not make direct contact with them and they had fruits before any of the tubs contaminated, so they were stronger than some of the other tubs)

mushmouth

:(

Palpitation
23 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

:(

Pretty much sums it up. But, I got some new ship lids made today that will also work for Lc. It will make Nocing jars a little easier and faster as well

9259.jpeg

Tomorrow, if I dont have school, I will be able to grain prep and noc about 14 jars. That should get this grow back up and going again. Just dont have anymore Alaca. so i will definitely have to try and get a good spore print from one of the survivors! 

• Like 2

Mush Zombie
On 2/20/2018 at 12:07 PM, Palpitation said:

Aaaaaaand......

You might say, "That much contamination is more than FAE, thats neglect!", and under different circumstances I would agree. But, as soon as I found the contaminants in the tubs I bagged them and removed them from my house BEFORE opening them. So this picture is about 24 hours later of it sitting in a black trash bag with a couple other infected tubs. After inspecting all 7 tubs without lids on, I found that one of them may have been okay to keep if I had not bagged it. But thats what I get for being to high to deal with it when I found it, lol. I didnt want to be upset over losing so much work, so i bagged them and said fuck it that day and watched a movie and decided to deal with it the following day. I am over it though. I am just happy I have 3 tubs left. With some decent mushrooms in them too! (for some reason I have mostly side pins in two of the 3 tubs, I would say this is also due to not enough FAE for the tubs closer to the humidifier, the only reason they didnt tam out though, is because the humidifier did not make direct contact with them and they had fruits before any of the tubs contaminated, so they were stronger than some of the other tubs)

You need to make sure your casing does not stay too wet or it will contaminate. You also need to make sure you are adjusting the PH of your casing properly. Do you have a pH meter?

• Like 1

magicman

Just curious, are you running a humidifier in the room for the dub tubs?

Palpitation
2 minutes ago, magicman said:

are you running a humidifier in the room for the dub tubs?

They were supposed to be z-tubs and i was wanting to make sure they didnt dry out by keeping the humidity up in my room near the tubs. But it was much too close. For now, I am running them as partial z-tubs, where I will manually mist and fan every other day or so (as needed). This will also allow me to keep a better eye on them since the tubs wont be completely sealed.

Also, without the humidifier, the humidity in my house stayed fairly low, so it was kind of needed with or without the tubs. Dry skin and what not.

magicman

Oh ok. Z-tubs/dub tubs, monos etc, maintain a high rh micro-climate inside the tubs, so the external humidity won't effect the outcome. If they are drying out too quickly, you can just tighten the polyfill in your holes. I would think running the humidifier in the room would breed more mold spores since there is more moisture in the air in your grow room. Just a thought :)

• Like 2

Palpitation
15 hours ago, magicman said:

so the external humidity won't effect the outcome.

Thank you for the help and advice. Not to be argumentative, but thats not what my wife and I observed from implementing out humidifier. I didnt have it set up at first and so the top tubs dried out within a couple days. After setting up the humidifier next to them, the top tubs began to slowly show signs of more humidity, as the top tubs became wet again. 

There could be more than one reason that I am experiencing different results than you have with using a humidifier. 

15 hours ago, magicman said:

I would think running the humidifier in the room would breed more mold spores

I do think that this was part of the problem: Not necessarily that it started somewhere else in the room, but I was changing the water every day and a half or so and never really stopped to think about cleaning it.... When it was clean, it had some bacterial growth on its sensor. So a few lessons have been learned on this grow, lol. 

Oh, and can't forget to mention another mistake I had made near the beginning of the grow: I had forgotten to add verm in the bottom of the tubs. I started remembering now, and tubs going into the spawn run incubation period are now getting verm in the bottoms. I have already noticed a difference, no more pooled up water inside it, on top or under the mycelium.

Mush Zombie
Just now, Palpitation said:

Thank you for the help and advice. Not to be argumentative, but thats not what my wife and I observed from implementing out humidifier. I didnt have it set up at first and so the top tubs dried out within a couple days. After setting up the humidifier next to them, the top tubs began to slowly show signs of more humidity, as the top tubs became wet again. 

There could be more than one reason that I am experiencing different results than you have with using a humidifier. 

I do think that this was part of the problem: Not necessarily that it started somewhere else in the room, but I was changing the water every day and a half or so and never really stopped to think about cleaning it.... When it was clean, it had some bacterial growth on its sensor. So a few lessons have been learned on this grow, lol. 

Oh, and can't forget to mention another mistake I had made near the beginning of the grow: I had forgotten to add verm in the bottom of the tubs. I started remembering now, and tubs going into the spawn run incubation period are now getting verm in the bottoms. I have already noticed a difference, no more pooled up water inside it, on top or under the mycelium.

how are the top tubs showing signs of humidity?

Palpitation
2 minutes ago, Mush Zombie said:

how are the top tubs showing signs of humidity?

The top tubs had dried out. Once I added the humidifier directly next to them they slowly became wet again. I assume that it was a mixture of evaporation from the sub and the humidifier. I would just find it hard to believe that none of the moisture that was directly hitting the holes where the polyfil was made a difference on the humidity level of the inside of the tub, especially with a fan blowing directly towards them, helping push more moisture through. If I am without a doubt wrong, that is fine, I would just like to know why its not true so I can better understand.

I guess here is how I was thinking of it: When you take a hot shower your mirror will show signs of high humidity because it fogs over and becomes wet. The top tubs became wet in a similar way, it looked like a mirror after the shower at first; when its a light covering and you can see where you had to wipe it off last time, then the water beaded back up more and it looked like a regular misted top again.

Palpitation

I appreciate your detailed answer. It will give me some reading to do and I will come away better for it, lol. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Have the grain in the PC now so I can make up for lost tubs. Im frozen in my house right now, so after this damn ice storm passes I am going to get to the store so I can have what I need to make an Lc. I probably wont be doing another large grow for a bit, but during that time I can refine my process and keep getting better. 

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

that monotub thread goes into some pretty good detail, and playing around with that dew point calculator will make other things you've noticed make sense.

• Like 1

Fungi2b

:wub: made my heart skip a beat.

• Haha 1

Palpitation

I will add a few pictures sometime over the next few days. Right now I have 4 tubs fruiting and the 14 jars I nocced are coming along nicely. Pretty soon this grow will be right back on track! Three of the tubs that are fruiting have already had a first flush and it seems the first two tubs I picked are doing much better with the pinset (a lot more throughout the substrate instead of just side pins, some of the pics I will provide later though...). It seems this grow is becoming more like my first one, lol. My initial plan was for this to be a grow log on on Alacabenzi and Golden Teacher, but now its looking like it will have to be Alacabenzi and Z-strain again. Not really a problem, i just wont be able to accomplish everything I set out to do this time around.