• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

tomentose

impulse sealing mycobags

tomentose

i would like to know if anybody has any tips on using a impulse sealer to seal the bags before putting them in the PC for grain spawn use, they are large sized bags with a .2 micron filter patch, i am using this type of sealer 61RsNbOYwyL._SY355_.jpg.39efdb96535c86c8d1055470e2e83b95.jpg

The specifications state it produces a 10mm wide seal

Thanks!

Mush Zombie

You can't preseal .2 micron bags. They will explode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tomentose

Would .5 microns bags work for spawn? And thank you that is a very valuable tip!

Fungi2b

.5 will let bugs in.

• Haha 2

MycoDan

I’ve used .5 with no prob in the past 

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

.5 is fine. It doesn't let anything in that I've experienced.

• Like 1

magicman

I've used .5 micron bags for years for grain and also fruiting in the bags, I've never had any problems with tams or especially bugs getting in.

I've never heat sealed my bags either. I fold down the top of the bag 3 times to the top of the patch and use binder clips on each end to secure it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mtdorashane

lol, bugs get in..     All ive used in the past 4 years is .5 micron filter patch bags to pc my substrate, they work great..  after i use a bag 3 times i put micropore tape over the filter patch & use it 2 more...  that costs me around $.20 per bag per run..  much cheaper and better then turkey bags

IME i would not recommend letting things set around in a .5 micron bag for more then 3-4 day, i feel like it starts to dry out a little bit

• Like 1

tomentose

I wasnt planning on using them for substrate just for spawn though

@magicman do you innoculate or do agar/g2g transfer when you use the for spawn? it sounds perfect for g2g. I wanted to make some sealed sterilized bags to innoculate from multispore ..but if its easier in the end to knock up a jar with the multispore then transfer into the clipped bags  ill do that

magicman

I inoculate grain bags with LC, agar wedges or MS vendor syringes (if I'm waiting for LC to grow). G2G with a colonized bag to other bags is tricky unless you have a big ass FH. I would colonize grain jars, then use those to G2G to grain bags.

I prefer to use LC as my inoculant, made by dropping an agar wedge in the LC. If you put a SHIP on the filter patch you can noc them in open air with LC or MS, and re-use the same bag several times with the same SHIP on the filter patch.

• Like 1