• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

gaslighter

PF Tek Fruiting Chamber Experience - Too Much Fanning?

gaslighter    6
gaslighter

Greetings Folks! This is my first post, although I have been learning from you guys for some time now. OK, so I setup a 12 cake pf tek , and was pleasantly surprised to have all 12 fruit w/out contamination. OK, well, I am on 2nd flush now, so maybe I shouldn't count my chickens...err mushrooms, before they hatch. In any event, I started with Golden Teacher, and did everything as instructed in these forums. I began to become concerned 8 days into fruiting when my mushrooms were growing extremely slow and remaining mostly small. I harvested 5-6 as soon as soon as the veil began to break. The remaining fruit was just growing so very slowly. I was fanning 4-5x/day, misting immediately before fanning for 90 seconds. I decided to stop fanning and the fruits immediately began to grow big and fast. So I guess my question is "Was it pure coincidence that the pins grew to maturity within 2 days of my stopping fanning, or is there such a thing as fanning too much/too hard? Thanks everyone who posts and teaches me! By the way, I am using a shotgun fruiting chamber, 4-5 fingers high of perlite. I keep the chamber at 95-99% RH at all times, with 12/12 light.

magicman    5,436
magicman

Hello and welcome! If fanning less is helping, I say keep it up! Are you misting the cakes and pins directly every time? If you do get the pins wet, just fan until they're dry. I think fanning 3x/day is perfect, misting the cakes directly only as needed :)

• Like 2

phish    1,491
phish

First off, did you dunk and roll those cakes in coarse vermiculite after the first flush ? A casing layer will help keep CO2 at the surface of the cake and help promote primordial growth( pins).

And yeah 2-3 times a day to fan is perfectly fine. If your cakes are uncased they will dry out from fanning faster too. Even evaporation is what we’re looking for . Hard to say for certain about the speed of your second flush. It really depends on some different variables. But cutting back the fanning from 5 x a day will help.

Sounds like you’re doing great. And let’s see a couple photos of that  Victory Tote too bro 😉👍

• Like 2

mushmouth    6,599
mushmouth

As soon as I see pins I stop misting and fanning. This is a little tricky to do because you'll have to put enough water into them to get them all the way through fruiting.

Also, I always pluck everything at the same time, especially with cakes. They can dry out very quickly so a nice dunk will do them good.

• Like 1

gaslighter    6
gaslighter

Thanks everyone for responding to my question(s)! I am attaching 2 pics, one from 1st flush, and one from current (2nd flush). By the way, I dunked for 24 hours prior to each flush, and rolled in vermiculite after the first flush. I am doing this at my friends apartment, where we have the fruiting chamber in a VERY controlled environment. We incubated ~80, and fruit ~70-75. 

OK, so we are in the 2nd flush right now. The pins began within 24 hours of 2nd flush, and are now  3 days old. I guess I thought once the pinning started, it would only be 2 days before fruit was ready to harvest (i.e. caps breaking underneath).

I appreciate all your responses, and look forward to what you have to share next :-)

1st Flsuh.jpg

Cant seem to get my 2nd flush photo into this post. Ill try later.

ok, apparently there is a size limit on pics :-(. The attached pic below is my 2nd flush as it sits last night. Again, I was under the impression that time from pin to finished fruit was ~ 2 days. Obviously I am wrong. Thoughts???

2nd flush2.jpg

• Like 1

phish    1,491
phish

Those Hygrometers shouldn’t stay in your tote at all times.Measure your rh for a 10 minute stretch , then pull it out. They max out like that 99% reading which is inaccurate.

Did you use 1 cup of brown rice flour to 2 cups of verm in your mix ratio? Using a lesser amount of brf will produce a quicker spawn run but won’t fruit as abundantly . Probably not what is happening here though huh. 

Keep your perlite moist and your walls misted. RH may be low idk. I would mist finely,( if they’re looking dry at all) your cakes from above at different angles as the droplets lightly land a couple times a day.And fan a couple , three times a day still. They may just need a little more coaxing to fruit. But it sounds like you’re doing everything well. Be patient, they’ll come.

• Like 1

gaslighter    6
gaslighter

I wasn't aware the hygro shouldn't remain in the FC. Thanks! I will remove and pulse as you suggested. I actually bought the cakes pre-made from Midwest, something I will not do again, as I now have a PC and will be using WBF for my next run. Looking forward to sharing and learning in the months to come. I will be adding Lion's Mane, reishi and cordyceps to my project. Still not sure if I should continue to fan or stop:-( 

Shroomwolf    7
Shroomwolf

Yeah I got my jars from Midwest and had problems with them being too dry and subsequently very slow to colonize and eventually halting

gaslighter    6
gaslighter

I am curious. How long would you expect the cakes (#1,#2 from bottom left) in the most recent pic to be mature? I am reading 1-2 days, but if it is like the 1st flush, these will go another 5-8 days. Thoughts? Guesses?

phish    1,491
phish

A second flush will almost always come quicker than the first. Not always necessarily a lot faster but noticeably quicker for sure. 

Ive never been a fan of those Shotgun FC’s .The one time I used one it produced wimpy fruits. And I had 3 different strains in there. I think they allow way too much air exchange . You could easily cover a bunch of those  middle rows of holes with shipping tape or something. Or stuff some polyfill in them

I would think that those small fruits you have right now would have veils breaking in another couple days. But who knows what’s gonna happen with those premade vendor cakes. It’s possible they may have very little brf in them , which would make them colonize quickly but not abundantly. It’s also possible you may not get much more out of them.

Keep doing what you’re doing and hope for the best.

gaslighter    6
gaslighter

Thanks Phish ;-) I am just going to have to be patient and wait this one out. I am already well in the works on "6 Quart Dub Tub *mist And Fan* Bulk Tek", so things should only get better. Something told me to just do it all myself from the beginning, but I wanted to take baby steps. I'll post pics of the 2nd flush when I have something.

• Like 2

phish    1,491
phish

You’re very welcome gas😉👍Were all happy to help.Baby steps are good man. Nothing wrong with treading carefully, and patience is important. There’s rarely a reason to panic. If you follow a proven tek to the T, there’s no reason to second guess anything. Stay the course my friend ! 

Attention to Detail can make all the difference in the world . Follow the 6 qt tek  carefully for success, You can always experiment later . 

6 qt dubtubs fan and mist FTW ! 

My favorites,I love em😎

• Like 2

Fungi2b    1,814
Fungi2b

Phish is right Dubs and z's over and over and over. Read alot and watch your tubs. Everything will start to make sense and Come together. 

gaslighter    6
gaslighter

And another shot a little over 24 hours later since the last one above.  Not going to do a play-by-play every 24, I promise, just wanted folks to see the slow growth. I realize they are growing. In any event, I will not make it to my friends place again until Monday night, so who knows what will await me then:-)

20180114_123748b.jpg

• Like 1

Fungi2b    1,814
Fungi2b

Yo we love pics and some of us  feel your excitement, it's one of the pleasures of sticking around. Take a baggie to your "buddies house" cause that one cake looks like it will be ready about then. Make sure to dispose of them properly :stupid:

gaslighter    6
gaslighter

Thanks Fungi! I am super-stoked to begin the 6-qt dub tub, but this tek was a great way to get introduced. I am appreciating of all the advice from you guys ;-)

• Like 1