• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

GobbleGobble

Should I keep trying?

GobbleGobble

I got this grow kit (regrettably) on the 5th, I dunked for 12 hours and then followed instructions and placed in the bag provided and paper clipped the top. I misted twice a day and fanned straight after. I got impatient and the grow kit didn't look exactly happy (it was placed on a thermo mat for the first week) so I took it out the bag and box and checked it out, discovered a big chunk of blue mold growing on the bottom of the cake, I read up and didn't really want to throw it away so I cut a big section of the bottom off (the mold hasn't come back since), after that I waited a few more days and decided to make a fruiting chamber. I hooked up an old computer fan and a humidifier to it, they run at the same time on a timed plug, 6 times a day for 15 mins each, I also have a LED strip 6500k running on 12/12. The chamber has an alright amount of holes for airflow and around 3-4 inches of damp perlite on the bottom (I would take pictures but it's sat in a spot difficult to move from). Today, still not seeing any pinning, I cut the cake in half to see if it fully colonized, by the looks of it, yes it had. I also scrapped the top layer of vermiculite off the cake, I read that it can stop evaporation? I'm just wondering what to do with the cakes now, I have 8 brf bags colonizing now (3 different strains) so I'm not gutted about the grow kit, but should I keep trying or throw it?also is the yellow layer normal or bad?IMG_20180121_193451.jpgIMG_20180121_193504.jpgIMG_20180121_193508.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Flawedprophecy

In the first picture on the bottom right corner there is some blackish purple. Not to sure about that. The blue on the bottom was probably bruising which is normal with mycelium. The biggest thing is to just let it do its thing though. It can take up to two weeks to pin so it isn't something that will happen right away. As far as what you have pictures of i would take a closer look at the area I mentioned. White is what you want. Blue can be bruising and any other color is a contaminant. The biggest part of this hobby is sterile procedure and patience. 

GobbleGobble

I think that's just some old vermiculite I missed while scrapping it off, it looks like the stuff I scrapped off earlier. It's been 16 days since I dunked it, how much longer do you reckon it'll take?
Thanks for your help by the way

Flawedprophecy

That is a decent amount of time. Honestly I couldn't say. I would just let it do its thing since you have more stuff going. Sometimes they like to be difficult lol 

OpenBar

Try running the fan more not when the humidifier is on at the same time. you need more evaporation to happen to get pinning.

GobbleGobble

I've got 3 timed plugs available to use at the moment, one for LEDs, one for fan and other for humidifier, what would be a good schedule for them all?

OpenBar

how are you measuring your RH?

GobbleGobble

Have a humidity + temp thing in the box, it never drops below 85% and the temp varies (winter) from 19 (very lowest after fanning) to 24.2 degrees Celsius max

OpenBar

So what im thinking is that your Rh stays too high and your not getting enough evaporation to trigger pinning. Try fanning more and keeping the RH at the lower end of that 85%.

GobbleGobble

I'll run the fan for a lot longer after each misting, I'll get back to you if I see any results. Thank you very much for your help, appreciated.

• Like 1

Absent Thoughts

Everyone runs into issues. It's a problem solving hobby! Don't give up!

• Like 2