• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

widespreadwizard

Is the yellow contamination?  I have seen green or black before but never yellow. Thanks for your help

20180222_194948.jpg.bf9dfad7b1d191c172f1fd9209ea9902.jpg

20180222_195016.jpg

OOZE

metabolites? that indicative of something wrong? i don't know. i've read it can be. bacteria looks like slime. that stuff look like slime?

I believe that metabolites are formed when a fungus is having an immune reaction to other organisms threatening it. is that what that means in this case? i don't know.

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

its just metabolytes. bacteria doesnt always look like slime. mushrooms can produce a "slime" that is known as a biofilm. dont think slime means bacteria

• Like 1

Fungi2b

Is "bio film" clear and kinda look like jelly?

Mush Zombie

yep

but that is also what the biofilm from psuedomonas sp looks like on mycelium. good thing that bacteria is not harmful to mycelium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fungi2b

I'm gonna have to look that one up, try and figure out if that's what it was and how it got there. I've only seen it once, it was under my foil after that Aa+ monos sub run. That could be from the one jar of sub that smelled different than the rest. thanks for the info. 

Mush Zombie

it is what causes bacterial blotch on mushroom caps, if they are left wet (the little brown spots on white button mushrooms in the stores). it can also live in rubbing alcohol and peroxide. it cannot be stopped only mitigated by keeping mushroom caps dry. it is always present.

OOZE

funny you say that about smells. my FC smells a bit unlike mushrooms, then again it's not had time to colonize. the smell stood out.

Fungi2b

If it's growing on my myc, what's the chances it's a strain that can infect Ppl also? There's 171 strains lol and some are kinda nasty (antibiotic resistant) I get real paranoid about my tams due to the lil one and babes allergy to penicillin.

Bro if it smells like old beer or bad snatch throw it out. Those are distinct smells that are associated with the most common bacterial infections.

If it smells like dirt, mushroom or antiseptics your probably good.

And that's not really a "f.c", it's a mono tub.

A f.c is a box you but p.f cakes in or trays.

OOZE

oh, maybe i should give it another whiff. all looks alright though. tomentose fuzzing up and reaching out. i've been really lucky to not have but 1 contam since NOV. My INC is a clean AF laminate flooring walk in closet. i wish i would have started the spawn run in there now that i think about it. made it in my kitchen. probably a mistake.

Mush Zombie

all of that really doesnt matter as long as the substrate is mostly colonized within 4-5 days. i dont even use gloves. 

• Like 1

OOZE

copy

thanks. fingers crossed!

well, i know nobody does this but i Pressure cooked my coir. even though it was exposed to open air and rehydrated after being pressure cooked my hope was that it would lower the likely hood of contamination just in case the coir got some nasties on it. I bought a huge block by mistake. should have gotten a little brick. the blocks packaging is torn open and it has sat exposed for months.

Fungi2b

The process of making those bricks damn near sterilize them. That's a totally unneeded step and a waste of time, your gonna p.c it after its hydrated and mixed anyhow.

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

Mycelium will eat competitor spores before they germinate, so again, after pressure cooking substrate, as long as the substrate is mostly colonized before they germinate (4-5 days), it doesn't really matter. Otherwise you would not be able to spawn in open air. 

widespreadwizard

Thanks for all the reply's.  Had a busy couple days and just getting a chance to check back.  It is a slimy type film on the sides of the jars.   The mycelium in the jar seemed to sweat the last week.  The yellow part is just on a spot on the top of the jar. Also I saw someone mention A+, that what this strain is.  So from the answers everyone gave I can assume that it will not be a problem.  It is going into a monotub with other jars that do not have this on them.

SU-85B

Jars look good ^_^

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk