• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

dzdzdz

6Quart ztub vs monotub.

dzdzdz

so Iv checked out a few things and apparently the ztubs can pull 2 oz's and 1 monotub typically pulls 4ozs-8ozs,  1 monotub requires 6 jars spawn 4 cmc and 6 verm plus 3 coir. while a ztub can be 1 quart spawn to 1 quart coir. 

monotubs are typically 18 inch by 14 inch by 4 inchs  sub. ztubs are 14 by 8 inch.

is surface area more important then actual nutrients? any takers 

Mush Zombie

not sure where you got any of those numbers from. monotub is 1:1:1 cmc/coir/verm @ 1:4 spawn to sub, so 6 qt spawn x 4 quarts sub each = 24 quarts of substrate + spawn. you could do less sub, more spawn if you wanted to.

z tub is 1:3 spawn to sub.

typical z tub yeild is more like 20-25 grams dry first flush.

I get 8-12 oz dry with a mono on the first flush - using my tek, and sub prep. Not sure what the average is for people that don't know what they are doing.

the less spawn, the more biological efficiency the mushrooms will be capable of. spawn is a poor substrate. it doesnt hold much water.

• Like 2

dzdzdz

to a point your tek says 1/2 brick of Coco Coir
6 qts COARSE grade vermiculite
4 qts cmc/HPOO (Cow manure compost/ Horse Poo) 6 quarts spawn.

your ztub tek is 1 quart of your chosen substrate to 1 quart spawn.

your ztub "That was just a coir substrate, no additives, or anything. About 2 oz. dry." donno if thats first flush with the pe.

Mush Zombie

yes pe is different. 

you are reading the z tub tek wrong. you missed the part about adding more substrate and more spawn.

Next add 1 quart of your chosen substrate, or enough to fill the tub about an inch deep. Then add your spawn. Mix this gently, so as not to disturb the verm in the bottom TOO MUCH, but get the spawn into the bottom of the sub. You're probably not going to be able to mix it without disturbing some of the verm. And thats okay. Continue to fill the tub with substrate, mixing it in with the spawn. If you are going to case your sub, leave room for the casing, so that it can be flush with the bottom holes. If you're not going to case, fill the tub with spawn until it is flush with the bottom holes. You will want to try to make this sub as flat as possible (if you are going to case), without compacting it down. You want it light and fluffy for the myc to be able to colonize it quickly, during the spawn run.

also i dont recommend using the verm in the bottom anymore. use a liner instead. that is a very old tek.

as for the monotub, yes it does say that, but it will still come out to close to those measurements, as i mentioned earlier, since a brick of coir comes out to about 10-11 quarts of substrate. so you can use 1:1:1 which is what i do now, it's a little easier. you dont need to add verm to coir, which is why that version of my sub prep works out well. 

all of those teks are currently being updated

dzdzdz

true thanks mang

dzdzdz

why would strobe do a tent full of quart tubs, thats so much effort if its not more effective? and is your preferred route 1:1:1 or is it 4cmc6verm6coir? do you notice a difference?

Mush Zombie

different strokes for different folks. strobe told me he returns all that shit when hes done. all the racks, tubs etc. lol my teks are meant for the DIYer who doesnt have a lot of time or money to kill. yes strobes shit costs A LOT more to do than mine, no they are not as simple. K.I.S.S., thats how I do things. Each way of doing things has its own merits. Don't think that my comments means I don't like other ways of doing things. I just like to keep it cheap and easy.

I use 1:1:1 because its easier to me... You also have to add the water slowly and mix it all up to achieve the correct moisture content. look up mtdorashane's cmc prep tek, thats pretty much how i make my sub as well. 

You can go with the OG instructions if you want to, there really isnt a difference. 1:1:1 uses more verm than the original which has more coir. coir and verm both retain water well. there really is no trade off.

mushmouth

I can imagine someone who grows other species, which need tents, just growing everything in the tent. Even the cubes.

Mush Zombie

strobe only grows cubes

mushmouth

I really wouldn't know, but my point goes to "different strokes for different folks". I've seen many good tent grows.

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

i only use tents for harder to grow species. I wouldnt waste such a resource on cubes :lol:

• Haha 1

mushmouth

I don't think I could fit both. The tent would have to go exactly where I sit my tubs :(