• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Moonphase

Grow Log 1st Attempt

DirtBagDan

Gl bud

• Like 1

Moonphase

Thanks DBD.   

Mush Zombie

ah yes, the days where you have to force yourself not to peek.

• Haha 1

Moonphase

Now that I'm fairly confident I did the sterilization and noc right tell me.... from the looks of the jar with 3 noc points what does it take?   Another 2 weeks to fully colonize and then a one week wait before birthing?  I've got to go out of town for a while and I don't want to be gone too long.   Any help on timing would be appreciated.

Mush Zombie

there is no real time frame on colonization. that depends on a lot of factors, like temp, substrate moisture content, etc. it could be 2 weeks, it could be 4 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

phish

I agree with MZ. But a rough calculation if my feet were held to the fire imo, is about 4-5 weeks and an additional 7 days after that.

Don’t expect them to finish much before then when using MS solution. If they’re done and pinning in the jar, you can put them in the fridge to halt them while you are away

• Like 2

Moonphase

Thank you.   I peeked again today and the difference was impressive for just 24 hours.  Grows fast.   Plan B in effect for a shorter trip.   

El_Piraña

Looks great, it never gets old seeing myc growth 

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

Haven't been able to peek for 9 days being out of town.   Freaking a little.   I won't be able to tell when full colonization occurred.   And, so that week wait after full colonization will be guess work.  May have to start another 12 just so I can watch the full process and gain a little more experience.  :D

phish

Don’t panic. Your jars will be fine. You can actually wait till they show pins in the jar to birth them , if you have no idea when they’ve finished up. 

• Like 1

Moonphase

Tomorrow will be 28 days and this is what the jars look like.   I detect some minor brown color between the nok site growth areas indicating they might not quite be 100% colonized.  Looks like verm touching the glass.  Probably a couple more days to be completely 100% colonized but I figure I'll birth them one week from tomorrow unless anyone has a Dif opinion from experience.   Sorry the lighting doesn't show how white they are IRL, darn light bulbs.   On a side note?   I ordered 3 syringes of PE from HOS, your sponsor, for the 2nd attempt.   Anything I need to do different with those than with the GT as shown?   Any PE strain specific tips you care to share?   Substrate PH target level and what to used to check it?   Thought I would try doing trays/tubs instead of jars this time.   Tips?  Oh, one last question.   Birthing.   Water soak in cold, room temp, or Luke warm distilled water?   Thanks from the noob.  

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

• Like 2

magicman

Those look good, probably ready to birth. I just use room temp water for the dunk.

For PE, I would use a bulk tek. PE doesn't like cakes. Start on grain and spawn to a bulk substrate. I have found PE to be thirstier than normal cubes as well. They often benefit from a quick dunk when you fruit them, or at least a heavy misting when first fruited. It's usually not necessary but I find it helps with the 1st flush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moonphase

You think they are ready to birth and dunk from their appearance at 28 days?  No need to wait another week.   Guess I could try one and see if it comes out whole or in pieces.   Before that I better get that SGFC built and the rest of the necessary supplies needed.   Found the perfect room to that holds steady at 68-70F.  Tomorrow I better get with it.

Moonphase
On 4/25/2018 at 6:26 PM, magicman said:

Those look good, probably ready to birth. I just use room temp water for the dunk.

For PE, I would use a bulk tek. PE doesn't like cakes. Start on grain and spawn to a bulk substrate. I have found PE to be thirstier than normal cubes as well. They often benefit from a quick dunk when you fruit them, or at least a heavy misting when first fruited. It's usually not necessary but I find it helps with the 1st flush.

I was going to use a bulk tek next anyway.   Thought I'd make a large zombie tub out of my 60 Qt. with multiple cake trays on top of perlite inside like a large zombie tub/dub tub.   Thought it'd make flushing and dunking easier and be low maintenance.   About the grain?   Were you thinking WBS or rye berries?   Looking for preferences and why.   I'll watch any and all links recommended.   Saw something on here earlier about casing recommendations I'll have to find again soon.  Thanks for all the help.  :D

Moonphase

Well it's been another 3 days and I can't see any appreciable change in the jars.   Source of Spores sent me an email that my order of 3 PE, and a mystery cube, has been shipped.   Thursday I start phase 2 of my first myco experiment with the same BRF/Verm+, hippie3 tek substrate, but in 6 cake pans instead of jars for more fruiting surface area.   I'll birth the 12 jars around the same time since the IC will be empty.   Phase 2 starts soon.   Time to decide.  Make my 60 Qt's into SGFC's or big Zombie Tub's?  Which one has proven the most productive?     

magicman

You make a mono tub from the 60qt. Z Tubs are for smaller containers, like 6qt trays.

Any grain will work, just go with whatever is cheap and available in your area. Rye berries are probably the most expensive grain. I like whole oats, they are easy to hydrate, and cheap.

• Thanks 1

Moonphase

Well I've decided to go with the Monotub design for a fruiting chamber because of the mist and fan hassle of a SGFC.   I've also decided to try some 3/4 pound bread pans this time instead of jars.   I can get 6 of those in the Monotub and if any of them tam out it won't wipe out the whole thing, plus dunking after flushing will be much easier.   It'll also allow for a variety of strains which will be interesting.   Just using the same substrate I did with the jars as well since they did so well to date.   Hope this melding of techniques works but that's what "experimentation" and learning by doing is all about right?   Hope I don't fuck it up.   :fluffy:

Moonphase

Five weeks.   Finished on a full moon.   These might be epic.   Birthing tomorrow.   :D

MycoTowjam420

Looks amazing man! Look forward to seeing the pins

• Thanks 1

mushmouth

:headbang:

• Thanks 1

mushmouth

The one thing I see that MIGHT be an issue is that almost all of the wet perlite is covered by foil. A better way to go is with verm filled lids :thumbs_up:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moonphase

Thank you guys!  Hoping I can get the FC dialed in.   Started out at FC internal temp 72F and 59%RH.  Morning 1 and I've got a ways to go.   FC on towel (hoping to keep the temp a little higher than the air in the room) on a table about 3 feet from a small window where it gets morning sun filtered a lot through trees for about 3 hours and indirect light the rest of the day.   Misted about 4 times last night before crashing out.  This morning a mist and manual fan for 1 min.  FC temp 70F / RH 74% (at least it came up some) / room temp 69.3F.   May have to decide on how to raise the internal temp up a couple degrees and lower the AC by a degree or two?   

7 hours ago, MycoTowjam420 said:

Looks amazing man! Look forward to seeing the pins

If the RH doesn't come up in a few days I may need to set up a humidifier/fogger to help.   Damn I hate shopping.        

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

Thanks Mushmouth.   I may have to just trim the foil.  Not sure I have extra lids that size and I might decide to do another 12 jars.   I've got 3 strains:   Corumba, A+, and PE that I need "environmental preferences" guidance on.   I could do another 12 jars or bread pans of BRF/Verm but don't know if these strains would do well with it.   I'd like to go bigger than jars but not big bulk.  Thought bread pan size would be workable for my next baby step.   

Thanks Mycotowjam420 I just hope I see pins!   That was a lot of work.   :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1