• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Samwise

Pan fruiting failure...any ideas why?

Samwise

Hi 'Ology,

Wondering if I can ask y'alls advice...further to my last question to you all, I refined my FC based on your advice by installing a CPU fan in the lid to vent air out of the FC to increase FAE, MZ noted my casings appeared sodden (due to major FC lid condensation-drippage onto casing on FC opening), so I installed some drip sheets beneath the lid on each side of the fan at a slight gradient towards the center of the tub, so that any drips would pour off back into the perlite and not onto the casing, which seemed to work well. I have an air pump and two airlines with airstones running constantly, the CPU fan comes on at 4 hour intervals for minutes. Pans need a little extra heat than Psilocybe species I've grown (or attempted to grow), so I had a heat mat on underneath the FC constantly. One issue that could be to blame, at least partly, is that I think the perlite got a little too dry for a time, and the temperature in there went higher than it should, up to 85 F. I recall David Barlow whose Pan cyan grow guide I followed successfully before stating that Pan cyans did not like too high a temperature as he found molds just went rampant and took over, and this seems to have happened to me. Maybe the humidity dipped a bit too in there, but there was always enough for heavy lid drippage.

Things were looking great for a time...when I laid the grain spawn out in the tubs in the FC pre casing, I was really impressed by how rapidly and vigorously the Pan mycelium colonised the un-colonised grain, it was ready to be cased in a day and a bit and looking really healthy. Fast forward half a week or so and I got numerous Pan pins appearing, particularly in one tub...only for them to all abort. Now the trays are overrun with green mold and I'm going to have to chuck them. So close it seems and yet so far! Demoralising to be on the cusp of a good fruiting only for victory to be snatched at last minute by the jaws of defeat!

Any ideas regarding what could have gone wrong here? Some photos of my setup are attached. I'm thinking of maybe moving onto a greenhouse type setup for fruiting instead and making a go of that.

Pan FC_1.jpg

Pan FC_2.jpg

Absent Thoughts

I see small mushrooms.. Apparently it was starting to working.. but just contamed.

Samwise
On 12/06/2018 at 11:29 PM, Absent Thoughts said:

I see small mushrooms.. Apparently it was starting to working.. but just contamed.

Yeah, it was a bit of kick in the teeth to come so close to a successful fruiting only for things to fail at the very last minute. I suspect temperature may have been too high and as a result the mold overwhelmed the Pan mycelium, and more FAE may be needed. Will try again having made amendments to setup and see how I get on.