• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

funkus

Help. does my spawn jars to much airflow/gas Exchange?

funkus

So im totally new to making my own spawn and I'm afraid that I messed up. 3 days after i inoculated my jars I reckon they are starting to look dry? I made 4, 6mm holes in the lid and covered it with tyvek. My question here is did I make to many holes and by doing that to much airflow, so they dry out ? And if yes how can I fix it?

I hope you have a nice day

2018-07-09 11.07.58.jpg

2018-07-09 11.09.25.jpg

2018-07-09 11.11.04.jpg

2018-07-09 11.11.49.jpg

Edited by funkus
added a tag

mushmouth

You didn't use a SHIP?

If the grain was hydrated properly I think you'll be ok. Moisture will pass through the Tyvek but it takes a while.

funkus
12 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

You didn't use a SHIP?

If the grain was hydrated properly I think you'll be ok. Moisture will pass through the Tyvek but it takes a while.

No, I poked through the tyvek and covered it with micropore tape. And thanks for the reply. Let's hope I hydrated them proberly

Shroomarican

Use a double layer of tyvek to keep moisture loss at a minimum but still enable gas exchange. Rye grain is supposed to look dry on the outside anyway when done correctly, the inside should be moist. All my Rye grain jars look dry as all hell, but the inside is where the moisture is and they colonize good.  -SHROOOMARICAN-

6 hours ago, funkus said:

So im totally new to making my own spawn and I'm afraid that I messed up. 3 days after i inoculated my jars I reckon they are starting to look dry? I made 4, 6mm holes in the lid and covered it with tyvek. My question here is did I make to many holes and by doing that to much airflow, so they dry out ? And if yes how can I fix it?

2018-07-09 11.07.58.jpg

2018-07-09 11.09.25.jpg

2018-07-09 11.11.04.jpg

2018-07-09 11.11.49.jpg

Yeah, you put too many holes in the lids. Just one works best. Take the tyvek off in a still air box and tape up some of the holes, like three of them per jar. Then put the tyvek n' lid back on

funkus
3 hours ago, Shroomarican said:

Use a double layer of tyvek to keep moisture loss at a minimum but still enable gas exchange. Rye grain is supposed to look dry on the outside anyway when done correctly, the inside should be moist. All my Rye grain jars look dry as all hell, but the inside is where the moisture is and they colonize good.  -SHROOOMARICAN-

Yeah, you put too many holes in the lids. Just one works best. Take the tyvek off in a still air box and tape up some of the holes, like three of them per jar. Then put the tyvek n' lid back on

So even if I have a double layer of tyvek, I should cover up some holes ?

mushmouth
13 minutes ago, funkus said:

Don't do any of that, bud.

• Like 1

dzdzdz

It's rules to this shit, I wrote me a manual 
A step-by-step booklet for you to get 
Your game on track, not your wig pushed back - biggie  

moral of the story is follow the guides and youll be successful who told you to do that?

Shroomarican

Listen to the more experienced people than me. I just know my rye always looks dry to on the outside but it's moist inside. I was just suggesting double tyvek or taping airholes if you were really concerned it was too dry. If you do, make sure to do it as sterile as possible in a still air or glove box. Good luck

funkus
2 hours ago, dzdzdz said:

It's rules to this shit, I wrote me a manual 
A step-by-step booklet for you to get 
Your game on track, not your wig pushed back - biggie  

moral of the story is follow the guides and youll be successful who told you to do that?

Sorry, do you have a link to this guide ?

• Haha 1

funkus
2 hours ago, mushmouth said:

Don't do any of that, bud.

So you reckon I'll be fine making spawn with these jars? I'm about to start 6 glasses more. Should I get some new ones or do you reckon I'll be fine ? Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks alot for the help

And just for info I allready have a double layer of tyvek on the jars

Edited by funkus
added more info

Shroomarican
2 hours ago, funkus said:

Only if you think your grain is really dry, tape up 3 of the 4 holes and one layer of tyvek will be fine. Your grain is gonna look dry on the outside, it's supposed to. You probably are just worrying about it too much. Up to you to decide. Hope this helps!

mushmouth
2 hours ago, funkus said:

So you reckon I'll be fine making spawn with these jars? I'm about to start 6 glasses more. Should I get some new ones or do you reckon I'll be fine ? Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks alot for the help

And just for info I allready have a double layer of tyvek on the jars

If the jars colonize normally, use them in any bulk tek.

Make new lids with proper SHIPs for your next jars. 1 layer of Tyvek.

funkus
5 hours ago, mushmouth said:

If the jars colonize normally, use them in any bulk tek.

Make new lids with proper SHIPs for your next jars. 1 layer of Tyvek.

Can't really get SHIPS around where i live and if i just buy these i don't have to buy new jars it seems.
- do you think they will be good enough ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZQRD9K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A29OKQ1TE3LSJS&th=1

funkus
4 hours ago, mushmouth said:

This is the preferred lid by most. It has a proper SHIP.

Okay. I've been looking for the RTV silicone online and can't find any from my country. so i'm gonna go search the real stores, but if they don't have it will the ones i linked work ?(and work good) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZQRD9K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A29OKQ1TE3LSJS&th=1

It's also because i already drilled the rest of the lids, so i would have to get new ones. if i buy the ones from amazon it would get rid of that problem. But the injection ports on the lids from amazon, are they not proper ?

and sorry for the bombardment of questions :)

Moonphase

If you want something done right.    Do it yourself.    That was always my motto.   

mushmouth

Those are good SHIPs but I've never used them so I don't know how precise the hole needs to be cut. And I guess you would have to get those filter disks? Because you can't put Tyvek under the SHIP?

funkus
1 hour ago, mushmouth said:

Those are good SHIPs but I've never used them so I don't know how precise the hole needs to be cut. And I guess you would have to get those filter disks? Because you can't put Tyvek under the SHIP?

as i understand them you don't need to put tyvek or filter disc under it, cause it filters at the whole and the SHIP closes up i guess ? but i've found that i can get the materials for the link you provided earlyer, so i im gonna try and do that. Then i don't have to pay 50 dollars in shipping and import for those lids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shroomarican
On 7/9/2018 at 5:14 AM, funkus said:

2018-07-09 11.07.58.jpg

2018-07-09 11.09.25.jpg

2018-07-09 11.11.04.jpg

2018-07-09 11.11.49.jpg

You made a few too many holes in my opinion. It's ok though, I'm thinking the tyvek will hold in most of the moisture. The outside of the grain should look dry, the inside is where the H20 is. 

But next time, one hole will suffice. I think your current grow will turn out fine though.

Edited by Shroomarican
Spelling

Moonphase

No air exchange occurs through a proper SHIP, Self Healing Injection Port, so you always need a FAE hole covered with micro tape, stuffed with polyfil, or covered with tyvek or filter patch to let out gasses and keep out microorganisms.   

Shroomarican

Yep moonphase, except for micro pore tape. It is not a good choice for allowing gas exchange and can let in contaminants. Tyvek, synthetic filter disks work great! LMAO I started out using micro pore tape too.. also, u just need gas exchange, not full on fresh air exchange, not till the fruiting stage. 

Edited by Shroomarican
Added content
  • Like 2

funkus
2 hours ago, Moonphase said:

No air exchange occurs through a proper SHIP, Self Healing Injection Port, so you always need a FAE hole covered with micro tape, stuffed with polyfil, or covered with tyvek or filter patch to let out gasses and keep out microorganisms.   

Yeah, and the lids i linkes has two holes. One for the ship and one with a small filter patch on the inside

funkus
On 10/07/2018 at 6:56 PM, Shroomarican said:

You made a few too many holes in my opinion. It's ok though, I'm thinking the tyvek will hold in most of the moisture. The outside of the grain should look dry, the inside is where the H20 is. 

But next time, one hole will suffice. I think your current grow will turn out fine though.

Thanks for the reply man. Calms my mind. Im making new lids as I'm writing this with rtv ships. So looking forward to the next round :D

funkus

Just finished these. Can't wait😁

2018-07-13 17.31.34.jpg

• Like 2