• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Mushbus

Instant Pot pasteurization for substrate

Mushbus
Posted (edited)

So I'm growing my first mushrooms and have 3 quart jars of Lions Mane fully colonized and I'm ready to make a monotub. I'm curious about pastuerization.  I was wanting to pasteurize using the Warm Setting on the Instant Pot which keeps contents warm between 145–172°F with some hydrated lime and water. Has anyone tried this?

I thought about just putting the substrate in which will be pecan chips and some rye berries for 60 minutes (berries that I slightly overcooked a few days ago and have had in fridge).

Letting it fully cool and then layering/mixing in a monotub.

Am I oversimplifying this too much?

Edited by Mushbus
Clarified

Mush Zombie

rye berries are grain spawn. that does not go into your substrate as part of your substrate. 

• Like 1

Mushbus

Do you know why I can't toss them in with the bulk? I hate to waste 4 quarts of rye berries. I thought I could soak in some lime and add.  

Mush Zombie

Yeah. Because you wont get any mushrooms. Your substrate will contaminate unless those rye berries are colonized already. Pasteurizing wont protect you from contamination, esp if you are using things in ways they aren't supposed to be used.

But if you really want to try it out, go for it.

As for the rest of the tek, pasteurization occurs at no higher than 140* F. If you are at 170* F that is sterilized or semi-sterile at the least. I'd suggest pasteurizing at 140* for 90 to 120 minutes for proper pasteurization. This is really only necessary for species that require pasteurization. Lions mane is not one of those.

• Like 1

Mushbus

I'm just trying to figure out why not. I was going to do a G2G transfer but slightly overcooked. They seem good. I'm just not understanding why I can't add them to coffee/coir/hardwood chips as bulk. I'm new and can't seem to figure out why it would contaminate.

Mushbus

Okay thanks. No need to pasteurize my bulk substrate for LM? Wow. Just soak sub in hot water, drain, and add colonized quarts? 

magicman

You need to either pasteurize or sterilize you substrate, then mix in your already colonized LM grain spawn. If you want to add rye berries to your substrate, turn the grain into flour first and mix in with the substrate and sterilize. Then noc with LC through a SHIP. 

Over cooked rye berries should still colonize fine as long as they have been sterilized. 

I think MZ was saying you don’t need to pasteurize, you can also sterilize your sub, but it has to be one or the other. One short cut you can try is to pour boiling water in a bucket with your sub, put an airtight lid on and let it cool overnight. Then squeeze the sub out to field capacity a handful at a time when you spawn. 

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

If you grind up grain spawn and mix it in a substrate, the substrate needs to be sterilized. Things called bacterial endospores frequent grains we use as spawn. Bucket Tek and pasturization are not going to get rid of those.