• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

slownlo

Noobie Checking in.....

slownlo

Well ok!

Its been about 2 weeks since I've inoculated my BRF jars using Oven Tek.

Thought I'd post a few pics for any other noobs that may be going thru their first cycle...(it works!)

all the jars are starting to fuzz at all inoculated areas.

Humidity is around 87%, Temp is around 78 F in tub

Should I be getting excited?  :o)

Hawaiian, Azurescens , B+,  GT & Ecuador - all strains are showing good hyphae branching.

Any advice?

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

• Like 1

MycoTowjam420

Very nice what FC do you got in mind?

Mush Zombie

You can get excited if you want to. I'm sure most people do at this stage if this is their first time. I don't lol

MycoTowjam420

Past colonization of your grains to your sub is once I get anxious 

• Haha 1

slownlo

Its a kit from non-sponsor vendor. I believe its called "tub in tub". 

57c525ae966d5_fruitingchambernet.png.fa9f2bac6946e5484906e67e4399231f.png

slownlo
18 hours ago, Mush Zombie said:

You can get excited if you want to. I'm sure most people do at this stage if this is their first time. I don't lol

I'm excited! Its so cool seeing it work.

I guess no matter how far along you get in the growing process something can always go wrong!

16 hours ago, MycoTowjam420 said:

Past colonization of your grains to your sub is once I get anxious 

I'll probably burst at the seams when I get to that point...

• Like 1

magicman

Hello and welcome. Looking good so far. 

slownlo
30 minutes ago, magicman said:

Hello and welcome. Looking good so far. 

Thanks! I'm reading your "Crystals of the Gods" post now....very interesting!

ed61874

looks good keep us updated

slownlo
18 minutes ago, ed61874 said:

looks good keep us updated

Thanks! It was my first time inoculating jars and I may have used "too much" spore solution per jar. I was trying to use about 1.5cc per jar but I probably used more like 2-3cc per jar because the syringe kept getting stopped up (cloudy with spores!) and I would "over squirt" trying to undo the blockage... All's well I guess. I'll post some more pics when the jars have made more progress....

DonkeyHote

If you are using jar lids, I would remove the  tinfoil. I don't see a need for both. Hopefully you have a dry verm layer on top of your jars. The jars look to be colonizing pretty well, although slowly. This time of year my jars show signs of life in 3-4 days and are fully consolidated in 4 weeks. I wait until they show pins in the jar before I birth them. That's an interesting FC. I use a low tech solution. It's a 50 qt tub with a few strategic holes drilled in it. Good Luck

Moonphase

Make sure you sterilize your substrate and casing also or pasteurize them at a minimum.   I'd get excited when casing them.   Looks great.

slownlo
1 hour ago, DonkeyHote said:

If you are using jar lids, I would remove the  tinfoil. I don't see a need for both. Hopefully you have a dry verm layer on top of your jars. The jars look to be colonizing pretty well, although slowly. This time of year my jars show signs of life in 3-4 days and are fully consolidated in 4 weeks. I wait until they show pins in the jar before I birth them. That's an interesting FC. I use a low tech solution. It's a 50 qt tub with a few strategic holes drilled in it. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. is there a reason for suggesting removing the foil? Gas exchange? Air? Both? Thanks...

k5hd2y
21 minutes ago, slownlo said:

Thanks for the advice. is there a reason for suggesting removing the foil? Gas exchange? Air? Both? Thanks...

yes, remove foil for both release of c02 and entrance of 02. i like to use the foil only as a condensation modulator. if my jars are slightly dry I keep it on, but i do use grass seed which can dry out quite easily. ymmv

• Like 1

DonkeyHote
1 hour ago, slownlo said:

Yes, they should colonize faster if they can get a little air. I put masking tape over the holes in my jar lid. Then I wrap the jar tightly in tin foil before it goes in the PC. I let it cool over night, then remove the foil before I inoculate. I use a butane torch to heat the needle until it glows. I shoot it straight through the masking tape angled at the jar wall. I don't cover the holes with anything after that.  The masking tape is still there with a needle sized hole in it though. 

• Like 1

slownlo
3 hours ago, Moonphase said:

Make sure you sterilize your substrate and casing also or pasteurize them at a minimum.   I'd get excited when casing them.   Looks great.

The Kit instructions just have me standing the cakes (vermiculite layer side down) on the jar lids with that sitting on a layer of moisturized Perlite. I have 5 different strains growing (2 jars each of  Azurescens, Ecuador, B+, Golden Teacher,  & 4 jars for Hawaiian), so I may case the Hawaiians and just do separate cakes for the others... so I can keep track of whats what...

thoughts?

slownlo
2 hours ago, DonkeyHote said:

<<< they should colonize faster if they can get a little air. I put masking tape over the holes in my jar lid. >>>

Ok, so I removed the foil off the jars. When doing that, I noticed the jars I inoculated with the Azurescens spores aren't showing any activity at all so far (zero that I can see)....? I know I got plenty of spores in the jars...I must've used at least 2 cc's per jar.... any suggestions? Or am I being impatient? Its been about 2 weeks...

So in reading about Azurescens, it looks like they require different tek than what I am using.

Shroomarican
19 hours ago, slownlo said:

Thanks! It was my first time inoculating jars and I may have used "too much" spore solution per jar. I was trying to use about 1.5cc per jar but I probably used more like 2-3cc per jar because the syringe kept getting stopped up (cloudy with spores!) and I would "over squirt" trying to undo the blockage... All's well I guess. I'll post some more pics when the jars have made more progress....

When your plunger stops pumping out fluid,  pull it back a tad then try again, works for me

Mush Zombie
21 hours ago, slownlo said:

What you are describing actually sounds like the spores germinated and mycelium was clogging the needle.

MycoTowjam420
1 hour ago, Mush Zombie said:

What you are describing actually sounds like the spores germinated and mycelium was clogging the needle.

Does this happen a lot? Bad storage of the syringe? Or does that mean the syringe was better? 

• Like 1

Mush Zombie

It just happens. Definitely means you got a good syringe.

• Thanks 1

slownlo
14 hours ago, MycoTowjam420 said:

Does this happen a lot? Bad storage of the syringe? Or does that mean the syringe was better? 

That's a good question...

Shroomarican

It wasn't mycelium clogging the syringe, it's the vermiculite. Just pull it back a little and then shoot in 1cc or so per hole, others say less than that but I do 1cc per hole

• Like 1

growman
On 7/11/2018 at 9:45 AM, slownlo said:

Its a kit from non-sponsor vendor. I believe its called "tub in tub". 

57c525ae966d5_fruitingchambernet.png.fa9f2bac6946e5484906e67e4399231f.png

I built one myself. Same idea only I used an temp. Controlled heating pad under the tub instead of the aquarium heater

Mush Zombie
5 hours ago, Shroomarican said:

It wasn't mycelium clogging the syringe, it's the vermiculite. Just pull it back a little and then shoot in 1cc or so per hole, others say less than that but I do 1cc per hole

I forgot people still do pf tek, in a PF tek thread. LOL

• Haha 1