• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Sporeology

Is dried out mycelium dead?

Sporeology

Sporeology has been performing some quality control testing on all of our live cultures, to make sure that we are offering only the best products to our customers... We were testing our LC of cordyceps and I remembered that I had an old dried out little wedge of agar that once was colonized by cordyceps militaris mycelium. It has been completely dried out since june of 2012. To give you an idea of how dry, it was similar to the consistency of a stale, burnt potato chip. So i threw this piece of dried cordyceps agar into a fresh agar dish, and 5 days later, it has come back to life. Personally I didn't think that it would, but I did know that mycelium can be freeze dried and come back to life, so I thought this might have a chance. Dried mycelium can be revived, and your old dried out substrates are just waiting to find some moisture to come back to life :)

post-276-0-38397600-1354220733_thumb.jpg

post-276-0-49035300-1354220738_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

shroomy_peace

beautiful! Can't wait to start on this one!

Austiclees

Very cool!

AL2O3

grow baby grow!

Those Who Were

i had confidence that the myc can still make lc/agar after SPENT!! but i never bothered cuz of chance of tams. but i guess on agar its no biggy. Spent myc as SPAWN?? Prob tam, depending on the species.

psilocybong

Awesome work man. I guess life does find a way :D I've heard of people rehydrating dried tissue and getting it to grow out on agar again but that's insane.

Dozzer

Great to know...I was just searching for this type of information...I absolutely love the fact that I didnt have to leave the Ology for the info :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Peace **D**

Those Who Were

Great to know...I was just searching for this type of information...I absolutely love the fact that I didnt have to leave the Ology for the info :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Peace **D**

Just in time for your question. lol. You found it here though :P

Mush Zombie

Some of the mushroom growing kits that you can get commercially contain dried out spawn. I have also heard of people drying out spawn to preserve cultures.

I have heard of those kits, and mostly everyone fails with them ;) Maybe its just a North American thing to use fresh myc, and preserve cultures in LC, or slants that last for 5 - 10 years :lol:

thedsfinest

I was about to ask a question about almost this very same topic also. I accidentally left a tub out of the ic in front of the fan and dried it out. It's not fully colonized yet what should I do spray or toss it?

Mush Zombie

I was about to ask a question about this very same topic also. I accidentally left a tub out of the ic in front of the fan and dried it out. It's not fully colonized yet what should I do spray or toss it?

this topic is not the same as your topic, please start a new topic to keep this topic on topic.