• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Tanelorn

can i cultivate fresh store bought mushrooms at home?

Tanelorn

I'd like to grow some mushrooms as practice, and i dont want to spend any money on spores from source of spores (just yet, but i think ive picked out the ones i'll buy). I'm thinking of buying some fresh mushrooms, and using their spores to see if anything grows. I've looked online and i see portobello spores going for 30-40 dollars. That seems ridiculous to be honest, and i'm of a mind to pick the first wild shroom i see and try to make it fruit, but that wouldnt solve my second problem.

Ive never liked mushrooms. As a kid they would make me vomit, even on pizza. Im not allergic or anything, but i just hate the taste. Maybe its the species, maybe its the method of cooking them. I want to get over this fear by trying as much different mushrooms as i can and seeing which ones i'll like, and at the same time grow something edible without the irrational fear of getting caught weighing over me.

Mushinist

Not sure whether spores would be viable, but I have successfully cloned store bought shiitake to agar using the inner flesh of the cap. I'm sure you could probably do it with portobello too.

• Like 2

Tanelorn
1 minute ago, Mushinist said:

Not sure whether spores would be viable, but I have successfully cloned store bought shiitake to agar using the inner flesh of the cap. I'm sure you could probably do it with portobello too.

Thanks, that's what i wanted to hear. I'm going to try this soon :)

Mushinist

Mind you though that I did this in front of a flowhood and being as sterile as I could. Took 1 transfer to achieve a clean culture, surprisingly.

Moonphase

Guess I'll try it with a cap out of the next 10g package of p. mexicana I get once I get back over to Switzerland.   Worth a try.  

DonkeyHote

You could probably find a nice Agaricus campestris (wild portabello) and get a spore print. They are fruiting everywhere in my area right now.