• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

woodedholly

Best substrate recipes

woodedholly

Hi all! Im new here and have been reading and watching a lot of different videos on mycology. Im about to get started on my first attempts of cultivation but i have a few questions about substrates and grain innoculations. I will be using spores not clones or agar at first. 

Ive seen a few different grain innoculation methods (bird seed, verm and rice flower, rye and gypsum). What method do yoy find to be the best to use to start the mycillum in? Im leaning towards rye or verm&RF. Have you ever had any problems with these methods? 

For the substrate i do want to be able to get a few flushes out of them. Im a bit weary of CMC but i also understand why it would be really benificial to use in a substrate. Ive seen people use a lot of different methods on substrates or none at all and use cakes. I personally dont want to go the cake route i am going to be doing a monotub. Ive seen people use CMC and some not. Im mainly worried about contamination if i use it. What substrate recipes have you found to be the best and do you have any tips for making substrates or preventing contaminiation?

I know its a lot to ask any help or info you are willing to share is greatly appreciated. Xoxo

magicman

If you want to do a mono you need to start on grain and not BRF cakes. Any grain is fine, WBS is the most popular. I like whole oats myself. 

There are many different substrate recipes out there, use what stands out to you, what you feel comfortable with and what is readily available and cheap in your area. I’ve always done equal parts CMC/verm/coir with hydrated lime as a ph balancer. 

I’ve used coffee/coir and CMC/verm too with equal success. Good luck!!

• Like 1

woodedholly

Magicman, thank you so much! Quick question do you shake your oats or can you shake oats or rye like you do with WBS? 

magicman
5 hours ago, woodedholly said:

can you shake oats or rye like you do with WBS? 

Yes most certainly

Bam
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:41 PM, magicman said:

If you want to do a mono you need to start on grain and not BRF cakes. Any grain is fine, WBS is the most popular. I like whole oats myself. 

There are many different substrate recipes out there, use what stands out to you, what you feel comfortable with and what is readily available and cheap in your area. I’ve always done equal parts CMC/verm/coir with hydrated lime as a ph balancer. 

I’ve used coffee/coir and CMC/verm too with equal success. Good luck!!

Do you prep whole oats same as WBS?

magicman
5 hours ago, Bam said:

Do you prep whole oats same as WBS?

I throw the oats in a bucket, pour boiling water in and put a sealing lid on. They're ready in just an hour or 2 like that.

• Like 1

woodedholly

How do you know when the oats are ready so uou dont over process them?

magicman

When they're hydrated they will be squishy instead of hard. Once they're hydrated they are ready to be drained and PC'd. Same with any other grain.