• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

aqudoc

Question on evaporation and other

aqudoc

1.  I’ve read that for a good pinset in dubtub fan big early for quick evaporation (box fan for 8-10 hours on second day per MZ).  On PF TEK I got pins only on bottom of cakes and read too quick evaporation was prob. the cause (also MZ in another thread).  Can someone clarify?

2.  PF TEK on my 2nd dunk and roll I switched up to coarse verm in 50/50 when I  read coarse is preferred for casing in general.  Does that translate to cakes as well?  Do I even need to recase?

3.  All my cakes tam’d on my 2nd flush attempt.  I did not change out the perlite in my SGFC, but I did resoak it. The tam was dry and blue and musky smell, got two cakes that I pulled quick when I spotted it, but another 4 days or so and the last cakes tam’d.  The FC never dried out, always moist on the walls/lid.  I had a fan in the room moving air (I’ve read debate on that idea) and fanned 2-3xpd for 2-3 min.  Should I have done something different w/ the perlite or left it alone or sterile tech the whole SGFC before gong for 2nd flush?

Sorry for long post, appreciate any feedback

NineInchNails

Are you saying the contam on your cakes appeared to be blue? That could just be bruising. MYC bruises blue. I'd post a pic so people can take a peek at this suspected contam.

aqudoc

These are the pics I took at onset.  First cake was the worst, nearly broke apart rinsing the first casing off.  The bluish on the side looked more white IRT, but 2 days later went very blue. Noticed a small spread on the others that may have been myc but I photoed them for documenting

IMG_2189.thumb.JPG.d6352152df88fa12ed54fabe394d4892.JPGIMG_2190.thumb.JPG.49be4566237a47c582711bad2b8a9e80.JPGIMG_2191.thumb.JPG.4761af243ddabf6e650a16b1d7ec0740.JPGIMG_2192.thumb.JPG.6bb0d4a3c26baad6aa1cb2e29c67842d.JPG

I should have taken pics before disposal but I didn't want it around.  I've seen pics of bluing cake and this didn't appear to be that, it was dry and spreading w/out further handling.  (Will they darken just sitting in the FC, I thought the bluing was from/during handling?)  Also the smell was completely new.  It smelled moldy, like wet laundry that sat in the dryer that never got turned on.  

IMG_2188.jpg

mushmouth
6 hours ago, aqudoc said:

1.  I’ve read that for a good pinset in dubtub fan big early for quick evaporation (box fan for 8-10 hours on second day per MZ).  On PF TEK I got pins only on bottom of cakes and read too quick evaporation was prob. the cause (also MZ in another thread).  Can someone clarify?

2.  PF TEK on my 2nd dunk and roll I switched up to coarse verm in 50/50 when I  read coarse is preferred for casing in general.  Does that translate to cakes as well?  Do I even need to recase?

3.  All my cakes tam’d on my 2nd flush attempt.  I did not change out the perlite in my SGFC, but I did resoak it. The tam was dry and blue and musky smell, got two cakes that I pulled quick when I spotted it, but another 4 days or so and the last cakes tam’d.  The FC never dried out, always moist on the walls/lid.  I had a fan in the room moving air (I’ve read debate on that idea) and fanned 2-3xpd for 2-3 min.  Should I have done something different w/ the perlite or left it alone or sterile tech the whole SGFC before gong for 2nd flush?

Sorry for long post, appreciate any feedback

It looks like I'm too late but I'll answer these anyway

1. Don't do that with cakes. They can dry out very quickly. The casing on a cake is not a proper casing like what you'd have on a dub tub.

2. I've never recased but many people do. Also, the course verm I have is too big to stick to the cake. I like to use medium grade verm + peat. But if you can get course to stick definitely use it.

3. It sounds more like the colony dried out, got weak and fell to mold or mildew that's always around anyway.

• Like 1

aqudoc
19 minutes ago, mushmouth said:

It looks like I'm too late but I'll answer these anyway

Not too late, I'm going to do it all again until I get it down.  Appreciate the feedback MM 

• Like 1