• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Tanelorn

why do we use bulk substrate?

Tanelorn

I've been searching and not coming up with anything useful. Why exactly do we need to spawn to bulk? Could one just grow a bunch of wbs after jars in a 6qt box and skip the incubation phase altogether? Seems like less time for contams to invade and a lot more nutrients too. Sorry if this sounds stupid.

I have a pint jar of colonized wbs but wanted to try a neat little grow that i saw once. Basically it was grown in a party cup dub tub (dub cup?) I think that if i tried to mix it with bulk it would contaminate for sure, so i was thinking just using the pint of wbs and be done with it. A novelty grow really, but it looked so neat and tiny gardens are a kind of hobby of mine so i'd love to see what comes of it, if my idea works.

DirtBagDan

Bulk substrate is for exactly what the name implies, bulk.  Yes you can grow without it, just don’t expect large yields. Some people fruit in jars and that works for them, smaller yields but simpler tek.

mushmouth

A jar of colonized grain would probably take forever to pin.

Mush Zombie

Grain spawn is a horrible fruiting medium. Try it out if you want to find out more.

Rez effect is a much better Tek.

Tanelorn
On 9/14/2018 at 2:41 AM, mushmouth said:

A jar of colonized grain would probably take forever to pin.

I see. Ive always wondered, could i pc grain and coir/verm in a large tall jar, only with maybe a half or quarter pint full, noc it and let it colonize in a sterile environment? I'd like to get something to grow inside the jar. It'd be one flush, hence the small amount of substrate, but at this point im a little desperate to just get something to fruit.

NineInchNails
22 hours ago, Tanelorn said:

I see. Ive always wondered, could i pc grain and coir/verm in a large tall jar, only with maybe a half or quarter pint full, noc it and let it colonize in a sterile environment? I'd like to get something to grow inside the jar. It'd be one flush, hence the small amount of substrate, but at this point im a little desperate to just get something to fruit.

PF cakes would have been the way to go if you intend to fruit from a fully colonized jar. This is not a quick hobby. Having a plan from the beginning is important because how you begin, PF cakes or grain, determines how you fruit.

You asked if you can PC grain and bulk substrate in a large jar, inoculate, let it colonize then fruit straight out of the jar. Yes you can, but it may not fully colonize. Think about how difficult it would be to thoroughly shake/mix a large glass jar or how difficult  and how long it would be for the MYC to make its way completely through the entire jar. It sounds to me that the closest method to what you are describing would be the following:

1. Place properly prepared grain in the bottom of a grow bag . Place properly prepared bulk substrate on top of the grain. Use whatever ratio of grain to bulk you prefer.

2. Sterilize the bag/bags.

3. Inoculate the grain within the bag/bags through a self healing inoculation port.

4. Allow the grain to become 25% colonized then by hand mix the grain that's on the bottom of the bags.

5. Allow the grain to become 100% colonized then mix the entire bag and leave until 100% colonized.

6. Once the bags are 100% colonized you can fruit right inside of the bags.

• Like 1

Tanelorn

Thats brilliant, i think i'll try that bag idea. Thank you :)

NineInchNails
16 hours ago, Tanelorn said:

Thats brilliant, i think i'll try that bag idea. Thank you :)

If you Google the term "mushroom grow bag" you'll see bags loaded with grain on the bottom and bulk sub on top. I'm sure you can find teks & videos showing how to use those bags and ways of fruiting (fruiting conditions).

There's a lot of different ways to use grow bags.

Mush Zombie

Those bags with the spawn and sub on top never really work out very well. It's mostly just a gimmick targeting noobs. I could have two or three flushes by the time your spawn is colonized. Once it is colonized the sub has dried out from sitting for so long. Don't waste your money.

• Like 2

magicman

Why not just add 20-30% grain flour to your substrate mixed in a bag and sterilized? I’ve done it before with cubes and cyans but it takes forever to colonize. Make sure you use the .5 micron bags if fruiting in the bag. The .2 micron is fine for grain but not fruiting. 

Put a blob of silicone on the filter patch for a SHIP to inoculate. 

NineInchNails

You can inoculate grain jars, shake when 25% colonized then allow them to become fully colonized. Once fully colonized they will till a grow bag with approx 4 or so as much grain as what's in a jar then sterilize it. They then shake the fully colonized jar, add it to the sterilized bag of grain and mix it up. That grow bag becomes fully colonized rather quickly.

You can pasteurize or sterilize bulk sub and mix fully colonized grain with the bulk sub in a grow bag. 

• Like 1

magicman
On 9/19/2018 at 10:25 AM, NineInchNails said:

You can inoculate grain jars, shake when 25% colonized then allow them to become fully colonized. Once fully colonized they will till a grow bag with approx 4 or so as much grain as what's in a jar then sterilize it. They then shake the fully colonized jar, add it to the sterilized bag of grain and mix it up. That grow bag becomes fully colonized rather quickly.

You can pasteurize or sterilize bulk sub and mix fully colonized grain with the bulk sub in a grow bag. 

This is what I do when growing in bags. 

Shroomarican

Bulk teks are cool. But for me, I have become obsessed with making the perfect BRF Cakes. I love the solid puck of mycelium that you get in the end if you did everything right. And it's become an art form that now I know everything needed to get all the cakes in a batch to fruit and to fruit at about the same time by holding back jars till others catch up, waiting for in vitro pinning before birthing, and have learned to double end case for big flushes, changing the bottom verm in the jar lid frequently prevents the cake from contaming before I get a few flushes.  

Bulk was a tough venture for me, I got into rye berries and liquid cultures. The jars would always stall or end up contaminating. Then when I did spawn a fully colonized jar of rye to bulk coir verm, it would never end up fruiting no matter what I did. So, I went back to cakes and decided to perfect that tek for awhile until I get somebody who can work hands on with me on my bulk techniques. Anyone who says bulk cultivation is easy is either lying or really knows wtf there doing. Oh well, didn't meen to make the thread about me, just wanted to put my 2cents in on bulk teks like rye for instance...

Edited by Shroomarican
Spelling

Mush Zombie

I can't grow a damn thing in bags, but bulk tubs are easy for me. I never liked pf Tek. There's different ways to do things that work for some and not for others.

You just have to do what works for you. What you like and you consider easy or practical.

"Different strokes for different folks"

You'll see fans for everything claiming one thing is THE BEST. Like a particular Tek, or a type of grain, or LC. It really just boils down to an opinion.

• Like 2