• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Halfdead420

First timer here

Halfdead420

So I’m using half pint wide mouth jars. (12) I did the 2:1:1 ratio Verm was med grade and I used bobs mill for flour. I steam sterilized using foil to cover my inoculation holes and maybe had a bit too much water in creating moisture inside my jars. Inoculated anyway after they cooled over night. It’s been 8 days no mycelium. I know it could take up to 14 days even but I just would like some of the veterans opinions. Have you had jars that looked like this work out? This is the worst one I have.

A41530E9-C794-40A6-8FE3-01A4D119DCB1.jpeg

mushmouth

It does look different than mine. Is that how they looked right out of the pot? How did you mix the ingredients? Also, that looks more like fine verm.

But you're right. You should wait it out.

Halfdead420

I assumed it was “fine”when I first saw it but it had a sticker that said med. and I went with it. I did 1 cup verm 1/2 cup brf and 1/2 cup water in that order. Before I added water I did mix the verm and brf. Lightly scooped it into my jars. I put spoons and forks and got creative to put the jars on so they weren’t in too much water. Brought the water to a bowl and started my timer for 90 min. Let them cool enough to touch And put micropore tape over the holes. Let them sit overnight and in the morning I innoculated. I didn’t use a box I did clean my closet with Lysol and used gloves when handled. I had 11 sterile  18g needles plus the one that came with my spores and swapped needle per jar. Recovered with micropore tape and stuck them in the far where it’s been 76 degrees for 8 days lol. I posted another pic of one that I think is “not so bad”.....? I have been checking them twice a day....

DD058DCF-2DE2-4DBE-BEBA-D0CD6817429A.jpeg

• Like 1

mushmouth

Now that looks more better.

And there's a raw verm layer at the top?

Halfdead420

Yes. I can hear the verm move a little when  checking. Idk I’m excited and paranoid and relieved that I at the very least have some good jars. I greatly appreciate the feedback as I’m working on growing some patience as well!

mushmouth

Yea. Don't keep checking on them. Put them in your inc and don't look for 7 days.

• Like 1

Halfdead420

K no more checking

• Like 2

phish

Welcome halfdead😊

The fact your jars got this far without a pressure cooker, you’re already beating the odds. 

NOW... do exactly as Mushmouth suggests and keep your fucking paws away from your jars,!!!... and you just may be successful .😆

Stuck around and read up and you’ll discover why it’s important to leave your jars be. AND the importance of patience 😉

• Thanks 1

Halfdead420

What jars?! :D

I’m gonna maintain some self control and hopefully in a week ill Get to see some mycelium up in em. I wouldn’t have gotten this far without all of you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Halfdead420

So went through all my steps again with more jars. Left them alone for 9 days and things are looking pretty good. Just wanted to update! I believe my steam cook was bad the first attempt and too much water got inside. I double foiled this time and had a smooth simmer going for two hours. I’m sure you guys see it all the time but I’m pumped!

92E86D91-CFAF-4E43-8E23-73FC25F108EA.jpeg

32983A07-93B5-477F-8C73-0FEC4B47B4BC.jpeg

65E2B7AE-6DE9-4B48-AE07-2A915A6A5B60.jpeg

FBF3B04F-0AA3-4B8C-B82A-05FD54F010E3.jpeg

• Like 2

Halfdead420

Back again! So I had one jar colonize super fast. I waited 5 days. My others are almost ready to be birthed. But this one has been in my fruiting chamber for a week. I have been misting the walls of the sgfc and finely misting the top and all angles of the cake. Making sure to wet the petites top layer. I know I should be looking for hyphal knots and evaporation is key to pinning. Can anyone tell me if I’m too dry? I fan with the lid of the chamber. I can see a bruise on the cake but that should stop fruiting? You guys are awesome

500011AC-146E-4C2C-B0D2-0F76156AB7BC.jpeg

4A98062D-93B5-42B2-A8B8-1064B6B2BF9B.jpeg

BAEC1C30-217A-4AEE-87B1-E5CC88623FA6.jpeg

155E731E-EFA6-4A32-BD1A-536D0E0FEA19.jpeg

• Like 1

MysticMadness

^^ Perfect information here. The cake does look fine. If you've been handling it a lot as you are in the pic, that could potentially be a cause of bruising as well. Although it's unlikely the way you're holding it caused THAT bruise. Usually caused by dryness though. Any time I've ever done cakes I try not to touch them at all. Do you have a hygrometer or have any idea what your RH is? It being too low can cause the cake to dry out too fast.

Are you misting your perlite? If not, then a misting of your perlite can help to bring that RH up if it is indeed low. Hard to tell from pics, but the tub looks pretty dry overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Halfdead420

I don’t have a hygrometer but if I did get one I think analog is the way to go? I did take the cake and flip it over a few days before but I have been trying to use the jar lid and Verm as a plate as much as I can when I handle them which is maybe once a day to look up close. I have been misting the shit out of the perlite but when I come back maybe 5 hours later there’s not much condensation on the walls. I have no clue what the humidity is in there. 

mushmouth

Analog, yes. The kind for good cigars.

• Thanks 1

MysticMadness
5 hours ago, Halfdead420 said:

I don’t have a hygrometer but if I did get one I think analog is the way to go? I did take the cake and flip it over a few days before but I have been trying to use the jar lid and Verm as a plate as much as I can when I handle them which is maybe once a day to look up close. I have been misting the shit out of the perlite but when I come back maybe 5 hours later there’s not much condensation on the walls. I have no clue what the humidity is in there. 

AS MM said, analog for sure. Digital can condensate inside and short out. But yeah, sounds like RH is too low. 

@mushmouth correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's misting the shit out of it and still having what seems to be low RH (although we won't know for sure until he gets the hygrometer) - can't he just pour some water into the perlite? Just not sure how much to use. You definitely don't want it pooling.

• Like 1

Halfdead420

LOL “groping”. Doesn’t say anything about not touching the cake in the tek actually that area is pretty vague.. But I understand and from yesterday on will not be touching the cake at all. I didn’t dump any water on it yet. I’ve been using a spray bottle with as fine of a mist as I can get. Good thing there’s only ONE cake right now. I’m just trying to get this right before I birth all the others. 

mushmouth

I mean when you put the perlite in the tub. Did you soak it real good?

Halfdead420

Yes. I soaked it under the sink in a smaller strainer and some cool water. Had the chamber ready to go when the cake was finished with the dunk. Everything has taken about double the time it should have for me I’m guessing this is no exception. I was using the lid of the chamber to Fan but I got a electric fan yesterday and have been using that for about 60 seconds all around the chamber 

mushmouth

Really, I think the cake looks good. You could probably back off some of that fanning, but I would keep doing what you're doing for the most part. Get you a hygrometer.

• Like 1

Halfdead420

Sounds good. When I do get the hygrometer. Do I leave it in the sgfc? What should it read? There fairly cheap on amazon 

mushmouth

You can do either.

Above 75%.

• Like 1