• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Blackstar

Grain Spawn Getting Stuck?

Blackstar

DSCF2653.jpg.00c08b1c993f478ec100293a5e8466fa.jpgDSCF2652.jpg.ae12f8b47510b198563d7a309faa4759.jpgDSCF2651.jpg.234af06c9411abd1ffda111090bcba12.jpgDSCF2650.jpg.a731fa2c95c0b2d6b96777f849390316.jpgDSCF2654.jpg.7b00b7f346674c244421d05bfdf9ad5b.jpg

Hello there!

I've been reading and reading, trying to figure this out, and I have some questions. Following the 6Q Dub Tub TEK, I have six quarts in the incubator right now. The first two were colonized with spores and appear to be stuck after 12 days (those are the two more tightly cropped pictures to try to show details). The other 4 (only three pics) jars are 3 days in after being inoculated with an LC I made from spores. They are looking better, but after reading a recent post I have some concerns. I have several questions:

1) The grain (with coarse verm at bottom) seems like it expanded a lot in the jars after PCing and gently shaking/loosening. I'm thinking the jars are too full. Is air needed in this step? Could overfilling be an issue?

2) On another thread from someone with stuck grain spawn, a comment was made that the grain looked too moist. The TEK I followed doesn't say anything about drying the grain or how moist it should be before loading into jars, it says the vermiculite will regulate that. Can anyone give me some pointers in that regard?

3) Another thought I had was water -- I live in an area with extremely hard  water. I made three LC jars, two pints with my hard water and one quart with distilled. The distilled LC seemed to do best, but I did have success with one of the hard water jars. But in the grain I didn't use distilled water. Is hard water a problem in this step?

Thanks! 

-- Blackstar

• Like 1

Blackstar

Thanks @Stipin, for sure all future LC will be distilled. I was wondering about in other steps though. I used to make homemade beer using filtered tapwater with great success, and when I moved to this area with hard water my beer was not good, yeast was not happy. Just trying to figure out how to keep the myc happy!

mushmouth

When I need a sure thing, this is how they should look...

DSC00369.thumb.JPG.10f21986828c4e2846c14cc5939b275d.JPG

Theses will go into 6gt Dub Tubs at ratio of 3:1 coffee/coir sub and 50/50+ casing. Very simple and sure fire.

Your jars are too full.

Also, Mushinist is right, I hope You used a good ship because the foil needs to go.

• Like 1

Blackstar

Thanks @Mushinist and @mushmouth (that photo helps a lot!)

1 hour ago, Mushinist said:

Jars only need a little gas exchange during colonization, so I'm assuming there's a hole in your lids from where you inoculated under that foil!?

I left the foil on top just as added protection against tam. Below the foil is a lid with one hole drilled and filled with RTV silicone as an injection port, and then a piece of micropore tape on top for good measure. Is it best to remove the foil? Does gas exchange occur through the port?

Blackstar

Ahhhh! :facepalm: Ok, back to the drawing board.....

mushmouth

Yep, those jars are more than likely under a vacuum.

• Like 2

Blackstar

Thanks so much! I'll be back!

Blackstar
21 hours ago, Mushinist said:

Personally I've never put verm in my jars

Do you have a TEK or recipe for no-verm jars that you prefer?  Reason I ask is last night I added Tyvek to my game and followed this TEK that skips vermiculite: 

I put 2C WBS in quart jars, added 1C distilled water, then PC'd for 90 min @15psi. Jars were just half full. When the jars came out of the PC the grain was all the way to the neck of the jar again. :unsure: I'd love to get this step nailed down!

Blackstar

Thank you, I'm going to give it a try. 

aqudoc
3 hours ago, Mushinist said:

I soak them for 12-24hrs in a bucket. Replace water and boil for 10 minutes.

How much water per 1C grain?

Mushinist

Not measured, its boiling water poured over the grain, enough to cover by a couple inches and allowed to sit. After a good amount of time I replace the water and then boil briefly, time dependent upon how much the grain swelled during the soak.

Yes its the old school way and not the nsns method, but it has worked flawlessly from day one for me.

• Like 2

aqudoc
20 minutes ago, Mushinist said:

it has worked flawlessly from day one for me

Appreciate the info. friend

• Thanks 1

aqudoc
On 11/29/2018 at 2:19 PM, Mushinist said:

time dependent upon how much the grain swelled during the soak.

When do you shake after PC?  How often do you shake?

Mushinist

I always shake as soon as I take them out from the PC just to make sure everything is loosened up and ok, normally they freely move around and don't stick to each other or the sides.

Only other time I shake is when they are colonized 20-30%, no more shaking after that until its time to spawn to sub.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

aqudoc
24 minutes ago, Mushinist said:

I always shake as soon as I take them out from the PC

THat's the shake I was asking about, so just the once after the PC.  As always, mush appreciated.