• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Kellz22

Help, first timer! Is this cobweb mold?

Question

Kellz22

Hi! This is my first post and Im so excited to have actually signed up and am now able to chat with you guys. I have gotten so much great information from wonderful people, just willing to share their knowledge.. thank you for that!

anyways I started these jars (my first) 3 weeks ago and I've been questioning if this is cobweb mold or am I good to go? Some spots, like the pic, seem pretty wispy..? They aren't completely ready but I need to get the go ahead, or not, from some expert veterans before prepping them for the chamber!

any feed back or advice would be very helpful and much appreciated.

-Love

IMG_0374.jpg.8653f0e6ed889df170c8663b544e172d.jpg

Edited by Kellz22
picture
  • Like 1

9 answers to this question

phish

Welcome to Shroomology Kellz 😊

Yeah, that jar looks great.

Give it an additional 7 days to finish colonizing the inner substrate, once it LOOKS like it’s 100% done, before you birth it.

What kind of lid do you have on that jar? Tyvek with a Vermiculite layer beneath ?

The foil can restrict gas exchange and cause stalling of the mycelium run .Though you look fine at this point

Good luck😎🤙

• Like 1

Tripster727
8 hours ago, Kellz22 said:

Hi! This is my first post and Im so excited to have actually signed up and am now able to chat with you guys. I have gotten so much great information from wonderful people, just willing to share their knowledge.. thank you for that!

anyways I started these jars (my first) 3 weeks ago and I've been questioning if this is cobweb mold or am I good to go? Some spots, like the pic, seem pretty wispy..? They aren't completely ready but I need to get the go ahead, or not, from some expert veterans before prepping them for the chamber!

any feed back or advice would be very helpful and much appreciated.

-Love

IMG_0374.jpg.8653f0e6ed889df170c8663b544e172d.jpg

Good job. Looks great like someone else said, let sit another week to make sure its fully colonized. Also the dry verm layer on top is your filter for contams, when i first started i was worried about it, gas exchange is really important, you could use tyvek on top in place of dry verm or both if you wanted. How do you plan on fruiting? I got the best results from crumbling the cakes and casing, in a dub tub style fc. Or you can just fruit the cakes, good luck. I just started back up myself. Got 2 tubs fruiting, 3 colonizing. 12 jars 2 contams not bad succeas rate. From MS! Im excited, good luck 👍

Also I dont think cobweb is too common in colonizing pf jars, could be wrong though... Anyways YOU'LL know if its cobweb it'll take over soo quick, if you ever do get cob web while fruiting, i have before. Just put a cap of peroxide in some water and spray the cake casing whatever, it destroys cob web 🕸 🕸 pretty cool, prolly 1 of the only contams we can deal with safely.

Kellz22
5 hours ago, phish said:

Welcome to Shroomology Kellz 😊

Yeah, that jar looks great.

Give it an additional 7 days to finish colonizing the inner substrate, once it LOOKS like it’s 100% done, before you birth it.

What kind of lid do you have on that jar? Tyvek with a Vermiculite layer beneath ?

The foil can restrict gas exchange and cause stalling of the mycelium run .Though you look fine at this point

Good luck😎🤙

Ahh thank you! this makes me happy :) all my jars are looking beautiful then with no contams! 

So I actually just have two layers of foil as my lid, and inserted spores right into that. And then the layer of verm. on top. 

Thank you phish 🙌🏼

Kellz22
2 hours ago, Tripster727 said:

Good job. Looks great like someone else said, let sit another week to make sure its fully colonized. Also the dry verm layer on top is your filter for contams, when i first started i was worried about it, gas exchange is really important, you could use tyvek on top in place of dry verm or both if you wanted. How do you plan on fruiting? I got the best results from crumbling the cakes and casing, in a dub tub style fc. Or you can just fruit the cakes, good luck. I just started back up myself. Got 2 tubs fruiting, 3 colonizing. 12 jars 2 contams not bad succeas rate. From MS! Im excited, good luck 👍

Also I dont think cobweb is too common in colonizing pf jars, could be wrong though... Anyways YOU'LL know if its cobweb it'll take over soo quick, if you ever do get cob web while fruiting, i have before. Just put a cap of peroxide in some water and spray the cake casing whatever, it destroys cob web 🕸 🕸 pretty cool, prolly 1 of the only contams we can deal with safely.

Thank you for your reply! I didn’t know you could get rid of the web if it starts.. that is pretty cool. 

That’s awesome! Seems like you have a lot of fruits coming your way 👏🏼 Woohoo! I think I am going to start another batch really soon.. 

so ive been thinking about crumbling the cakes like you said, I do feel like that would work better. But I’m kind of scared, it being my first time, I don’t want to F anything up. 

Thanks Tripster727 for the great advice 🥰

Tripster727
18 minutes ago, Kellz22 said:

Thank you for your reply! I didn’t know you could get rid of the web if it starts.. that is pretty cool. 

That’s awesome! Seems like you have a lot of fruits coming your way 👏🏼 Woohoo! I think I am going to start another batch really soon.. 

so ive been thinking about crumbling the cakes like you said, I do feel like that would work better. But I’m kind of scared, it being my first time, I don’t want to F anything up. 

Thanks Tripster727 for the great advice 🥰

Hey np. I used it before it the results were phenomenal. Just break them up into abt qrtr sized chunkes mix with whatever bulk substrate you'd like. Honestly i jist used plain ol verm. 1:1 ratio. So however many jars you got use equal amts of verm. Get verm to field capacity first. Its great for beginners because you have waaay less chance for contams using str8 verm granted you prolly wont get the bigger haul, still tho ita basically fool proof and youll end up with mushies. IF you need any help just holler, also keep us updated.. You could always fruit a few cakes crumble some others... Ive made hundreds of different cake fruiting chambers.. 2 litre 3 litre soda bottles, buckets etc...itll work as long as conditions are right, mainly rh with cakes enough fae etc.. 

31 minutes ago, Kellz22 said:

Ahh thank you! this makes me happy :) all my jars are looking beautiful then with no contams! 

So I actually just have two layers of foil as my lid, and inserted spores right into that. And then the layer of verm. on top. 

Thank you phish 🙌🏼

Never heard pf the foil deal, you dont have lids? Doesnt sound like itd work idealy. So basically the holes from when you inoculate are your open holes for gas exchange.. With lids you pre make thw holes which are a bit bigger, dnt know how much a difference that makes tho honestly..

Kellz22
51 minutes ago, Tripster727 said:

Hey np. I used it before it the results were phenomenal. Just break them up into abt qrtr sized chunkes mix with whatever bulk substrate you'd like. Honestly i jist used plain ol verm. 1:1 ratio. So however many jars you got use equal amts of verm. Get verm to field capacity first. Its great for beginners because you have waaay less chance for contams using str8 verm granted you prolly wont get the bigger haul, still tho ita basically fool proof and youll end up with mushies. IF you need any help just holler, also keep us updated.. You could always fruit a few cakes crumble some others... Ive made hundreds of different cake fruiting chambers.. 2 litre 3 litre soda bottles, buckets etc...itll work as long as conditions are right, mainly rh with cakes enough fae etc.. 

Never heard pf the foil deal, you dont have lids? Doesnt sound like itd work idealy. So basically the holes from when you inoculate are your open holes for gas exchange.. With lids you pre make thw holes which are a bit bigger, dnt know how much a difference that makes tho honestly..

Oh wow.. that’s awesome! You are quite experienced. I want to be a master at this! Lol! Show me yours waysss 

I do have lids.. I have a few with lids on them and drilled the holes and everything. I honestly think the foil lids are turning out better. The ones with the lids are taking forever with mycelium... I think I may have screwed them on way too tightly though.. ? 

I can explain more when I get home from work how I did it. Saved me a ton of time too. 

Will def keep you updated! 

Edited by Kellz22
Convo

Tripster727
37 minutes ago, Kellz22 said:

Oh wow.. that’s awesome! You are quite experienced. I want to be a master at this! Lol! Show me yours waysss 

I do have lids.. I have a few with lids on them and drilled the holes and everything. I honestly think the foil lids are turning out better. The ones with the lids are taking forever with mycelium... I think I may have screwed them on way too tightly though.. ? 

I can explain more when I get home from work how I did it. Saved me a ton of time too. 

Will def keep you updated! 

Cool sounds good, i believe im experienced did forgot a lot from my last grows so here i am again doing my research. Put it this way though.. Ive never had a failed grow out of the 5 times ive grown. Even when making a sporw syringe from a buddies print he gave me. No probs. I dont think the lids being too tight is a prob, thats why we put 4 inoc holes/points those holes also allow for gas exchange and is plenty enough. Will do