• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

darkvoyager

Wtf did I do wrong

Question

darkvoyager

Hey ology, 

its day 10 of my monotub colonization and I was excited as fuck to bring it out to fruit expecting a snowlike top of the sub and great colonization. NOPE as soon as I cracked open the lid I smelled what I immediately thought to be apple cider vinegar with the mother lol (I have a jar in the kitchen) Which wads me to guess bacterial contam. I used MZ monotub tek but instead of foil over the colonizing sub I folded the bag as he and someone named Dozzer suggested. I Must’ve folded the bag wrong or something and my guess is that I cut off air exchange because the part that was really folded what is the side that had no growth for recovery but the other side that was towards the somewhat open side of the bag was doing all right I never opened it during the ten days,  I had poly fill stuffed inside and micropore tape and I have one of the stair light weather strip type bins  with the latches on and they were shut.  I had another tray that I kind of half assed with a jar that was questionable and I didn’t even sterilize the sub I only threw boiling water on it and squeezed out as much as I could and check it out after five days  HALF THE TIME no Coir. I scooped out that shitty side and put to fruit let it ventilate we’ll see I guess? Lol 

First pic is tray in day 5

second is tub after 10. 

222DB7D8-5616-495B-8A3F-E96BA0F68B6A.jpeg

D929F2A5-8D3D-4782-BFE4-F31846AB9EE8.jpeg

11 answers to this question

Mushinist

I don't use bags as I don't concern myself too much with side pins. This would be my luck as well and very likely be due to it being sealed up too good in the bag since its affecting half of the sub.

But then again it could be from a tam in the sub and you just provided the right conditions for it, who knows, if its bad its bad, toss it and start again. The other one looks like its doing fine though.

• Thanks 1

Flawedprophecy

I've had very good results using bags, I've done trays too. Your second picture defiantly looks like tam. Even if not better safe than sorry. 

• Thanks 1

Stipin
On 12/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, darkvoyager said:

NOPE as soon as I cracked open the lid I smelled what I immediately thought to be apple cider vinegar

Was your substrate tested to field capacity? If it’s a lil too wet it’ll put off that smell when you go to open it up.  

• Thanks 1

darkvoyager
1 hour ago, Stipin said:

Was your substrate tested to field capacity? If it’s a lil too wet it’ll put off that smell when you go to open it up.  

I mean about as tested as I can get here at home haha. I know if anything I was under field capacity as water was only beading at my knuckles and not dripping. the bag was wet probably from all the "sweat" I put it to fruit ill see how it goes worse case I toss it but the good half might make it. the side that didnt colonize def was wetter I imagine the condensed water pooled down there I don't know, next time im doing foil and not latching the lid 

Flawedprophecy

How are you using the bags? To colonize grain for spawn or to use as a whole and to fruit substrate? They defiantly have different purposes. If you are fruiting you want that sweat, or condensation. The rH has to be high and it also will show that you have good fae. If you are just colonizing you don't want it that high, and you will want to keep the rH down. If not you will get myc piss, it will be yellow and it is a metabolite. You will most surely smell it. You can work around it but you should avoid it from the start. It means the myc is stressed

magicman

First pic of the tray looks ok, could use a little more time colonizing. The second pic of your mono that smells like vinegar is fucked, but don’t fold the excess bag over the top. Cut the bag at the sub level, then put tin foil over the top with holes poked in it for gas exchange. The plastic doesn’t allow for GE and suffocates the colonizing sub. 

You want CO2 to be high at the surface while colonizing, but it still needs to breathe. You’re looking good though on the tray. How are you gonna fruit it?

• Like 1

darkvoyager
15 hours ago, Flawedprophecy said:

How are you using the bags? To colonize grain for spawn or to use as a whole and to fruit substrate? They defiantly have different purposes. If you are fruiting you want that sweat, or condensation. The rH has to be high and it also will show that you have good fae. If you are just colonizing you don't want it that high, and you will want to keep the rH down. If not you will get myc piss, it will be yellow and it is a metabolite. You will most surely smell it. You can work around it but you should avoid it from the start. It means the myc is stressed

in this case the bag was for the bulk substrate to colonize then fruit I spawned with WBS per tek. basically just colonizing, think I drowned/suffocated my babies, first day or two after I ripped the bag it was releasing humid air(?invisble steam? lol) like mofo had to wipe walls on that side. honestly im going to try to fruit this shit lol, im doing no casing and letting it get plenty of evap to try initiate pins I think the good side may have a chance. smell went down significantly 

13 hours ago, magicman said:

First pic of the tray looks ok, could use a little more time colonizing. The second pic of your mono that smells like vinegar is fucked, but don’t fold the excess bag over the top. Cut the bag at the sub level, then put tin foil over the top with holes poked in it for gas exchange. The plastic doesn’t allow for GE and suffocates the colonizing sub. 

You want CO2 to be high at the surface while colonizing, but it still needs to breathe. You’re looking good though on the tray. How are you gonna fruit it?

lol :( 

I am familiar with that I just saw some high level member named Dozzer suggest you lightly fold the bag over to get a better result  BUT I should've at least opened the lid up once a day or left it unlatched but next time im just going to do the foil and leave lid unlatched. The tray has shown me a lil bit of the cubes strength, I didnt even pasteurize that cow manure compost or sterilize it just threw it in some boiling water for a few minutes and threw it in a bandana and strained hard as I could and BOOM shit colonized better than my bulk that was fully sterilized with way more spawn and had coir added too.

I threw it to fruit the day I took that picture I was honestly  going to trash those grains but figured id toss em there and see whats up they're showing some knots on the casing now woo! I literally just put it in an identical mono tub in the center and am using that lol. 

Taken last night day 7 of fruiting for that tray. Might be a Little hard to differentiate between the casing and pins. 

2F19F8DF-2D31-40BC-815C-5A64C5655689.jpeg

53EB4942-D762-40F7-BBA9-FBEA1BF26BDB.jpeg

darkvoyager

Luckily I got hip quickly and have agar to clean up a possible yeast contamination I believe was in my LC and isolate a good monoculture

the reds are g2g transfers recovery day 2 from s shake the blue is recovery day 3 from a shake and the mycelium feels like it’s having trouble Ripping through like the G2G is, I see noticeable growth/recovery daily with the g2g. Blue was inoculated 11/28 with LC G2G is from a jar inoculated 11/3 actually the one on top, was fully colonized 11/24 and I left it 100% for days til I G2G a 1/4 cup into each,the top/original jar had more grain left. I did that 11/2 5days ago. The Original jar was MS green jar is one that’s growing slowly maybe for the same reason but it’s colonizing so 🤷🏽‍♂️ . That’s a LC inoculated 11/20 I threw out the other five because I suspected yeast they smelled sorta sweet when opened 

DF34BC95-CA9A-46D6-A178-FBE4AC8554FB.jpeg

9DB3385D-2EE7-4C9E-9269-97DE8F0CB191.jpeg

D3D4EBD0-6D1C-49A6-9CBC-28631ACDDAC2.jpeg

44692617-F093-462E-B9C7-6EF25C1096FE.jpeg

Want to note the contam in question is in the blue circled jars and the g2g jar on top was shaken just yesterday but is gonna finish first as long as it continues to recover. Less than 24 hours it’s fuzzin yo again 

Want to note the contam in question is in the blue circled jars and the g2g jar on top was shaken just yesterday but is gonna finish first as long as it continues to recover. Less than 24 hours it’s fuzzin upagain

• Like 1

dzdzdz

those jars are way too full will possibly effect FAE and time colonizing? 

mushmouth
1 hour ago, dzdzdz said:

those jars are way too full will possibly effect FAE and time colonizing? 

Jars don't need FAE. They just need GE... free movement of air so that they stay at atmospheric pressure.

Being too full can make them stall though.

• Like 1

darkvoyager
3 hours ago, mushmouth said:

Jars don't need FAE. They just need GE... free movement of air so that they stay at atmospheric pressure.

Being too full can make them stall though.

They’ve been fine this far. Although I will start doing 1.75 cups of grain in jars instead of 2 makes it easier to shake, 

the suspicious jars are growing fine just slower, may let em run their course.

• Like 1