• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

Doodlin

Hi!

Doodlin

Hi everybody, I was put on to this forum by Researcher (also a newish member) and am really digging how well organised the info is here -- thank you all!  Looking forward to digging in and hopefully contributing something useful once I'm a bit less wet behind the ears.

• Like 1

Flawedprophecy

Welcome to Ology! 

DirtBagDan

Whale-cum!

• Like 2

Mushinist

Welcome to shroomology Doodlin!

Glad you like the layout, plenty of info to put to use and like minded people to interact with!

• Like 1

Researcher

Great to see you here! I am also looking forward to when you can actually post on the forums!!

4 hours ago, DirtBagDan said:

Whale-cum!

well at least we all know how you got your name now, so thats something (I guess?). :huh:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Stipin

Welcome Doodlin! 

• Like 1

aqudoc

Welcome great place here have fun

magicman

Hello and welcome!!

mushmouth

Welcome to ology, Doodlin!!!

Doodlin

Thanks everyone, and lol DirtBagDan!

Quick question from a newbie, but I'm keen to add some thoughts to Researcher's thread here but can't figure out how -- there's no text box at the bottom of the page.  Feeling very thick; can anyone enlighten me?  :)

Researcher

I think you just need a couple more posts, in this welcome forum?  I think it is 5 posts then the training wheels are off. :thumbs_up: maybe a mod can correct me.

• Like 1

Doodlin

Aha, thanks.  Thought it would be something like that but couldn't find the rule anywhere.

Researcher

Sooo.... this was interesting.

Lightning Makes Mushrooms Multiply

Lightning strikes can more than double some mushroom crops, according to ongoing experiments that are jolting fungi with electricity.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/04/100409-lightning-mushrooms-japan-harvest/

Possible commercial applications for growers, also wondered if it would help some of those harder to impossible to fruit indoor varieties??????

Doodlin
On 12/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, Researcher said:

Sooo.... this was interesting.

Lightning Makes Mushrooms Multiply

Lightning strikes can more than double some mushroom crops, according to ongoing experiments that are jolting fungi with electricity.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/04/100409-lightning-mushrooms-japan-harvest/

Possible commercial applications for growers, also wondered if it would help some of those harder to impossible to fruit indoor varieties??????

Ha you have a knack for finding these cool things.  Apt username!  Do you know if they've published anywhere?  If it's the E field alone that's doing it, that just might be practical to manipulate for a hobbyist.  If it's the current though, that'd be more of a pain.

Researcher

yeah the articles where referencing a published paper, might have to dust off that old Leyden jar and use it as a fruiting chamber(:P).;

Improvement of Edible Mushroom Yield by Electric Stimulations

Pulsed high voltage was applied to logs for mushroom culturing to clarify an effect of the pulse high-voltage
stimulation on mushroom yield. Inductive energy storage system was employed to construct a pulsed power
generator with compact size. Copper thin fuse was used as opening switch to interrupt large circuit current in short
time. Four stages Marx generator was used to supply a large current to a secondary energy storage inductor. The
output voltage of the inductive energy storage system pulsed power generator was 120 kV with 50 ns pulse width at
5 kV charging voltage to the primary energy storage capacitor. This pulsed high-voltage was applied to
sawdust-based block for culturing Lyophyllum decastes and natural logs for culturing Lentinula edodes, Pholiota
nameko and Naematoloma sublateritium as an electrical stimulation. The experimental results clearly showed that
the yields for four kinds mushroom increased to 1.5-2.1 times larger yield by applying pulse voltage as electrical
stimulation.