• Welcome Guest!

Please register or sign in to have the complete Shroomology community experience! Become a member today, post topics, get your own profile, personal messenger and more!

OldManDan

Hello everyone

OldManDan

Hi everyone, been reading for a few days and now it's time to get involved with the community.  My wife and I have our second child due in march.  A few weeks ago she was 24 weeks pregnant and had to rush her to the ER.   Long story short we found out she has pulmonary adenocarcinoma  (lung cancer) which caused a fluid buildup in the sack around d her left lung as well as around her heart.  After 10 days in the hospital I was able to bring her home and am now helping her drain a pleurex catheter from the pleural space around her left lung every other day.  She is refusing treatment while pregnant and doctors are trying to keep her in good health until she's at least 32 weeks.  

In search of some relief and guidance for myself I stumbled upon this site.  Have since ordered some spores from mush zombie sponsor and am going to begin attempting this hobby to relax myself.  I am just searching for some peace of mind and can maybe help my wife also after she has our baby girl.  I'm very hopeful that this will take my mind off of some of the bad stuff going on in my life.  Glad to meet you all.

Edit:  just typing this out made me feel a little better already, holy crap.

Edited by OldManDan
Adding

MysticMadness

Wow. I really hate to hear you all are going through that. I'd say that is very taxing on you both. I too was driven to this hobby (or back to it I should say) by some rather difficult situations in life, although perhaps not as difficult as yours. I'm glad to hear it's already helping. :)

You will find the community here to be very supportive and I wish you the best of luck not only on your mycological journey but all others as well. I hope that your time here and the hobby itself is able to provide you some relief from the troubles of this hectic thing we like to call life. You've got me rooting for you.

Sending all of the positive vibes I can your way. Mush love brother. 

Clusterfuc#d

Welcome oldmandan,

Glad to meet you as well, I only wish it was in better circumstances. You will find this community to be full of kind understanding people who are more than willing to help you in your new hobby.  As odd as it might sound, I too found a bit of relief just writing my first post after being a spectator for a bit. Maybe it was just the fact that a step was being made towards possible relief, and the hopelessness was replaced with more positive thoughts.

Wishing you much success in your endeavors. Stay strong brother.

• Like 1

OldManDan

Thanks for the support, I have been reading about medicinal mushrooms as well, and it seems both reishi and maitake mushrooms have shown to slow/block tumor growth and also help the body kill malignant cells (more complex then that but that's the basics of it), and have been used in traditional medicine for lung cancer and other cancers.  I read a post on here the other day about someone possibly growing reishi mushrooms in monotubs.  I am going to be looking further into this because I'm already building a monotub.  If anyone has any further info on reishi or maitake mushrooms in monotubs and can help me consolidate it into one thread here it would be greatly appreciated.  I'll keep reading on here, sorry if I overlooked the info.

I also read that a combination of extracts of the 4 main medicinal mushrooms has shown promise in helping slow tumor growth.  Since my wife is pregnant and chemotherapy isn't really an option for at least 6 more weeks now (would put her at 32 weeks for a C section)  I think she'd have to recover from that before she could do chemo anyways, mushroom extracts show real prospect for slowing the growth of the tumors.  I realize none of this is practical because I'm not growing them already.   I'm rambling now so going to just post,  thanks everyone.

smoothcriminal

Welcome! First off, I wish you and your wife the absolute best. What strain did you decide to start with?

I would recommend going straight to the 6 qt dub tub tek

This tek uses $1 shoe boxes that serve as a container to spawn to bulk in and also serves as a fruiting chamber.

• Like 2

OldManDan
1 hour ago, smoothcriminal said:

Welcome! First off, I wish you and your wife the absolute best. What strain did you decide to start with?

I would recommend going straight to the 6 qt dub tub tek

This tek uses $1 shoe boxes that serve as a container to spawn to bulk in and also serves as a fruiting chamber.

I ordered the starter pack of golden teacher, hawaiin, I think b+ and 1 other one, most likely will start with golden teacher.  Might still be a few weeks before I get spores, however I bought all materials for WBS and bulk substrate monotubs with 50/50+ casing.  I will not have time to mist and fan so need a mostly set it and forget it method.  I have a 16 month old at home and have had to start doing a majority of the household duties when I'm not at work because my wife is pregnant and on top of that the extra health issues are making things harder for her.  I will be able to sneak in extra time as needed after everyone goes to bed though.    I don't have any experience in mycology, however 6-10 years ago I was a caregiver on the side and had extensive experience with organic growing and started to get into fogponics before my wife and I decided to move to arizona.  I read and research a lot and I'm also pretty good at retaining knowledge in subjects I'm interested in.  From what I've read here as long as I practice sterile tek and follow directions exactly I will be ok.  

Im already wanting to build a glovebox, since I don't have my spores yet I'll most likely have time to make one.

OldManDan

Did I do something wrong in my postings here?  I posted some of these 10 days ago and they haven't been approved yet.  I would like to start a grow log, I just inoculated some LC and WBS to kick off my monotubs.  Started with cambodian.

Clusterfuc#d

I had good results starting with golden teachers. Lack of response may be due to a glitch with the website? I haven't been able to get on it for over a week. Best wishes to you, and good luck!

• Like 1

OldManDan

Thanks for the response, I did want to start with golden teacher, mailed payment in about 2 weeks ago to the sponsor here for the beginner pack.  Haven't heard anything back yet, figured it got lost in the mail or people were on vacation(life happens), so ordered more from multiple different places to increase my odds.  Ordered the cambodian syringe from another page, not sure if I'm allowed to say what page on here, and also was amazed to find golden teacher spores on ebay.  I'm going to be making agar after work today and use a glovebox to open lid and put some GT spores in, or would LC work better to start from spores?  I could also PC the syringe from the Cambos and clean the bag the GT spores are in, inject some sterilized water though bag into the print and pull the water back out I suppose, figured the agar would be easier.  My wife is going nuts from the PC noise lately, between that and our 17 month old it's nothing but noise at home, haha.  

5 WBS jars and the jar of LC are sitting in the closet now, put a tower fan in there and have the temps around 79 overnight, going to check temps again after work when the sun is hitting that room to make sure they arent going to high.  Will take pics after work, should I start a new thread for grow log or just post it in here?

Borgfer4542
4 hours ago, Clusterfuc#d said:

I had good results starting with golden teachers. Lack of response may be due to a glitch with the website? I haven't been able to get on it for over a week. Best wishes to you, and good luck!

Glad to be back!

Welcome @OldManDan! Start one in grow logs, I’ll be following. Good luck!

OldManDan

Will start a grow log in appropriate section when i get home from work then, thanks everyone.

Diyman388

Hey guys and gals I'm new to this posting. I'm 3rd day after peeling tray thought it was fully colonized but I guess not here's some pictures of PESS. Temp is good rhiz is good. New tek method. Seems to wet or not lized up yet.  Food for thought. Temps are great and yes to fae on the top with a fan on for 10 mins every 4 hours which just started today. Got too laxed on picture to actually see mycellium growth but any help would be nice. Seems like they are starting to show signa of primordial pinning.what dp you think..

20190114_205815.jpg

20190114_205759.jpg

20190114_205746.jpg

20190114_205742.jpg

20190114_205736.jpg